kevincar

Audio Track Names Don't Appear

Question

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to create an audio CD and have the track name, artist, etc. encoded so that when I play the CD, for example in Windows Media Player, I would be able to see the track names.

Basically, I recoreded piano music from my children and burned the audio clips on to a CD, but when I play it, all I see is track1, track2, etc., but not the names of the songs.

I attempted to do this in "Music Disc Creator" (EMC 8). I edited the "Audo Tags" and set the Title, Artist, Year, etc. and selected "Embed or replace tags inside the audio files". But when I burned the disk and play it, I don't see the information (just track1, track2, etc). I have tried wav, mp3, and wma audio formats, but with the same results.

The audio tags do appear to be in my audio file since when I view them in EMC "Media Manager", the audio tags are present.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

8 answers to this question

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to create an audio CD and have the track name, artist, etc. encoded so that when I play the CD, for example in Windows Media Player, I would be able to see the track names.

Basically, I recoreded piano music from my children and burned the audio clips on to a CD, but when I play it, all I see is track1, track2, etc., but not the names of the songs.

I attempted to do this in "Music Disc Creator" (EMC 8). I edited the "Audo Tags" and set the Title, Artist, Year, etc. and selected "Embed or replace tags inside the audio files". But when I burned the disk and play it, I don't see the information (just track1, track2, etc). I have tried wav, mp3, and wma audio formats, but with the same results.

The audio tags do appear to be in my audio file since when I view them in EMC "Media Manager", the audio tags are present.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

When you play a commercial disc in Windows Media Player, it takes a look at your disc and compares it to an online database to do a match up of tracks with their titles. Commercial audio cds don't typically contain track information.

When you create your own disc, no matter whose software you use, it is a unique disc which no one else has and does not exist in the CDDB database. Because it is a unique disc which doesn't exist in the database, you will see TRACK 1, TRACK 2.

EMC 8, like other audio burning applications, can write "CD-Text", an industry standard format of writing track information in a subchannel area on the disc and many applications and devices which playback audio are capable of reading CD-Text so your track names will display. As an example my car stereo will display all the track names I have on an audio disc based on the CD-Text names.

Windows Media Player does not support CD-Text so the names will not show up here.

If you require track names to appear you will need to burn the audio CD with "CD-Text" and switch to a playback application which supports reading CD-Text.

In regard to this topic, when I burn a CD I always select "Add CD-Text" and "Maximize Volume" as my project settings, but when I play the cd the text is not recognized by my CD player. I used to have Roxio Easy Media Creator 7, but upgraded because my new computer has XP x64 edtion on it. When I would use Creator Classic to create an audio cd I never had a problem with my cd player reading the text. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Edited by jasoncburn

['Jan 5 2006, 11:32 PM' post=1348]

The CD Text is part of my files. When I play these files using WMP, the track titles come up. When I burn them, they disappear. Thus, the problem is not in WMP; it is in the burning.

I used EMC8 for three CDs and the track titles copied well. When I began experimenting with sound editing, all the track titles disappeared in the burning. When I check, they are still in the file.

The help on-line says to indicated Write CD-Text. When I do, that does not help.

Help.

I am an interested reader of these forums, and have a related question on song names and wonder if anyone knows the answer. In using emc 8 music disc creator I want to burn a disc with my own song creations and maintain the name that I entered using windows explorer. The names of the songs are on the tracks in the source pane, and when I select them and add them to the project pane, the names disappear and they are named 'track one, track two' etc. In the older versions, 7 and 7.5, in creator classic the names would stay with the tracks, and would record onto the disc, and display, as mentioned above. Does any one know how to get them to appear. I can type them all in again, add text, but I already did that once, and don't want to do it again. However, all the time I spent messin' with the disc creator trying to get the names to import with the tracks, I could have typed them in about six times. I have a bunch of discs, and don't want to retype everything, and like I said, they are my songs, so gracenote is no help. BTW, if I try using emc 8 creator classic, the names stay with the songs, but they abitrarily go in the order they want, and I am not able to order them the way I want. Help anyone? thanks.

when I select them and add them to the project pane, the names disappear and they are named 'track one, track two' etc.

Depending on what type of files you are adding. MP3 have embedded TAG ID information. If the tag has the song/album/artist information included, that info will be used. WAV files do not have this data, but they should import using the filename.

I have a bunch of discs, and don't want to retype everything,

If those discs have CD TEXT on them, I thought it was read when you rip the songs. I'll have to try this later.

the names stay with the songs, but they abitrarily go in the order they want

Actually, it is abitrary. Parts of EMC actually uses Windows Explorer and this is more of a Windows problem. I believe it defaults to alpabetic display and this can be big problem when trying to create audio discs and ordering the songs.

Hello,

Which Audio CD playback software will read the CD Text information?

Thanks

-g

The HACP CD Player supports CD-Text display.

As far as Sound Editor, if you're burning your discs from within Sound Editor, I believe there may be a problem with it properly writing CD-Text. I would recommend doing all your editing, saving your tracks, and then burning them from Music Disc Creator.

Hope that helps!

Edited by d_deweywright