Squeezing photos onto a CD

mark22

Question

I want to do something that sounds simple. I want to take several hundred jpg files and put a copy onto 1 CD. But the size of the jpg's is too large to fit. Do any of the EMC9 programs re-size photo files (jpgs) so that they can all fit on 1 CD?

FYI, the context is that a group of scouts (kids and adults) went hiking in Bryce, Zion, and Grand Canyon. Six of us brought digital cameras and took plenty of photos. Now we want to share them with each other. I've collected all the photos and would like to fit them all onto one CD, so each family can have their own copy. The photos have way more resolution that we need, so it's OK to shrink them.

I've seen the Microsoft powertoy, Image Resizer. I was just wondering if Roxio had a similar or more convenient way to do this.

thanks.

Mark

7 answers to this question

Thanks Paul and Karri.

The Media Manager method sounds interesting. However, I think the choices will probably create files that are smaller than necessary. I have files that are 2 to 3 GB in size. I only need to shrink them down to 1 GB. Based on tests I ran with Image Resizer, the files for those screen resolutions will probably come out much smaller than that. I'd rather not give up more resolution than I have to, in case some of the recipients want to futher enlarge or crop the photos.

Unfortunately, I can't test that now -- or even try it, since Media Manager stopped working for me many months ago. The rest of EMC9 appears to work, and I've avoided dealing with the problem, since I don't want to go through the hassle of re-installing all of EMC.

Guess it's time to take this problem (Media Mgr not working) to another thread. I'd still like to try Media Mgr's multi-photo enhance utility. I forget -- or never knew -- it had such a thing.

mark

Here is a link to a utility many use for cropping/resizing photos Cropper

Thanks Paul and Karri.

The Media Manager method sounds interesting. However, I think the choices will probably create files that are smaller than necessary. I have files that are 2 to 3 GB in size. I only need to shrink them down to 1 GB. Based on tests I ran with Image Resizer, the files for those screen resolutions will probably come out much smaller than that. I'd rather not give up more resolution than I have to, in case some of the recipients want to futher enlarge or crop the photos.

Unfortunately, I can't test that now -- or even try it, since Media Manager stopped working for me many months ago. The rest of EMC9 appears to work, and I've avoided dealing with the problem, since I don't want to go through the hassle of re-installing all of EMC.

Guess it's time to take this problem (Media Mgr not working) to another thread. I'd still like to try Media Mgr's multi-photo enhance utility. I forget -- or never knew -- it had such a thing.

mark

Hi Mark,

Start > All Programs > Roxio > Photo > Photo Email Assistant is an alternate path to the Email resizing decribed above. OR Start > All Programs > Roxio > Photo > Multi Photo Enhance if you would like to try that program to get closer to 1 MB. It has various sizes plus a Custom setting.

No need to go through Media Manager if that's a problem.

Hope that helps :)

karri

I want to do something that sounds simple. I want to take several hundred jpg files and put a copy onto 1 CD. But the size of the jpg's is too large to fit. Do any of the EMC9 programs re-size photo files (jpgs) so that they can all fit on 1 CD?

FYI, the context is that a group of scouts (kids and adults) went hiking in Bryce, Zion, and Grand Canyon. Six of us brought digital cameras and took plenty of photos. Now we want to share them with each other. I've collected all the photos and would like to fit them all onto one CD, so each family can have their own copy. The photos have way more resolution that we need, so it's OK to shrink them.

I've seen the Microsoft powertoy, Image Resizer. I was just wondering if Roxio had a similar or more convenient way to do this.

thanks.

Mark

Photosuite will do just about whatever you want to a photograph but I think Image Resizer will be quicker.

thanks.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Here is a method I use to quickly resize for email, but it works for whatever application you choose.

To image downsize quickly, Go to Start > All Programs > Roxio > My Media > Media Manager. Once in Media Manager, click on the Email icon. You can choose either your default email client or "Other" ~ Click on the second one, "Other" (eg. Yahoo, webmail).

Click Add Photos. The Add Photos window opens where you can navigate to the folder containing your pictures. Select the ones you want to downsize and click Add Files.

You are presented with the choice of converting photos to different size jpgs. Your choices are:

Small (640)

Medium (800)

Large (1024)

Original Size

(Maybe one of the gurus can tell you how many photos at these resolutions will fit onto a CD.)

Choose a size and don't worry about the other options. Click OK.

You will get a status bar as EMC converts your photos to the new size. When they are finished converting, you are asked to pick a location for your new email photos (The default is the Email Folder in My Pictures ... Don't worry about the email part.) You can use the default folder, create a new folder for them, or send them to another existing folder. Don't send them to the original folder, though, or they will be overwritten. (I usually make a subfolder within the original folder to keep everything organized and easy to find.)

Once you have the folder chosen, click OK.

Media Manager will process your photos and then open the folder to which you chose to send them, and your newly resized photos will be in it. You can then work with your photos however you want (No emailing required.)

I haven't tried it with hundreds of photos at one time, probably about 50 at a time is about what I have processed this way. And you don't have a lot of options, but it is fast, easy, and offers 3 standard sizes from which to choose.

I hope this helps. If not, you can use the MultiPhoto Enhance utility in Media Manager (under the Projects icon). It does the same thing but gives you a few more choices. I like the Email one because its simpler for what I need.

karri

Thanks Paul and Karri.

mark

Archived