• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Need advice on upgrade

spflwf

Question

I have used EMC almost since it was released and had good luck. But it seems to have some type of conflict now, and I guess it's time to upgrade. Considering going with EMC 9 instead of newest 10. I work on Dell Dimension, Pentium , XP Media Center. Absolutely no intent to move to Vista. As a retired grandmom I mainly use EMC for picture repair and to make family dvds. Am I right that EMC 10 would be overkill for me?

Suggestions appreciated.

GrandMom

12 answers to this question

I have used EMC almost since it was released and had good luck. But it seems to have some type of conflict now, and I guess it's time to upgrade. Considering going with EMC 9 instead of newest 10. I work on Dell Dimension, Pentium , XP Media Center. Absolutely no intent to move to Vista. As a retired grandmom I mainly use EMC for picture repair and to make family dvds. Am I right that EMC 10 would be overkill for me?

Suggestions appreciated.

GrandMom

Personally, if the current version you have satisfies your current need, I'll stick with it ... unless you find feature(s) in the new version that you think you'll definitely need. <_<

Suggestions appreciated.

GrandMom

You can get by fine with either version but since EMC10 is out, depending where you look, you may be able to find a local store with 9 on the shelves that have them discounted. There are also rebates available for 10.

You don't give more specific info on your system but being a Dimension, I'm sure you can work with either version with no problem.

You are all right...IE 7 and Media Player 11. But I use MP a lot so I hate to move backward. If I step up to EMC 10 will I have to roll these back, or will it interface with IE 7 and MP 11? Thanks

Grandmom

Dell Dimension 5150

Pentium D, 3.00 GHz

Windows XP media Center, 2005

2 GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533 MHz

(Mostly greek to me, but that's what the pc says I have. Just want to be sure whatever I upgrade to will work!)

You are all right...IE 7 and Media Player 11. But I use MP a lot so I hate to move backward. If I step up to EMC 10 will I have to roll these back, or will it interface with IE 7 and MP 11? Thanks

Grandmom

Dell Dimension 5150

Pentium D, 3.00 GHz

Windows XP media Center, 2005

2 GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533 MHz

(Mostly greek to me, but that's what the pc says I have. Just want to be sure whatever I upgrade to will work!)

I haven't seen any reports on EMC 10 and those two. I have EMC 10 on my computer, but I won't put IE 7 or WMP 11 on my computer. They were both made for Vista and have caused numerous problems in Windows XP.

Suggestions appreciated.

GrandMom

I am agreement with your first response. I bough 9.0 because I bought a new PC with Vista and was afraid my 7.0 version would fail to work. But if I did not buy the new PC, would of stuck with 7.0 since it did everything I needed to do. Now that 10 is out, I may stick with 9.0 plus the 9.1 patch since it finally works with Vista now, I was having trouble capturing video with the DAZ device that shipped with Creator Deluxe 9.0. Now it work.

If you do decide to buy, buy the version 10 product since at least you get updates for it, now that version 10 is out 9.1 Patch may be the end of the updates for the 9.0 product.

Thanks to all of you for your replys. Tom, I would love to just stay with V7 since it did all I wanted it to do.

But for some reason, it doesn't add titles as it did before. I click "add new title" and the title doesn't add to the menu bar. I thought this may be some type of conflict with some new install/update from Windows, as nothing else has changed.

Any suggestions on what I could try before I dip into my pocket for another $100?

GMom

(You have all been so helpful, I suspect you all liked your grandmoms!) :

Thanks to all of you for your replys. Tom, I would love to just stay with V7 since it did all I wanted it to do.

But for some reason, it doesn't add titles as it did before. I click "add new title" and the title doesn't add to the menu bar. I thought this may be some type of conflict with some new install/update from Windows, as nothing else has changed.

Any suggestions on what I could try before I dip into my pocket for another $100?

GMom

That sounds like you may have Internet Explorer 7 installed (either intentionally or thru Microsoft Auto Updates). If you do have IE 7 installed, go into your Control Panel, Add/Remove programs and uninstall it so it rolls back to IE 6 and see if that helps.

GMom

It sounds like you let Internet Explorer 7 and/or Windows Media Player 11 get onto your computer. You have to roll back to Internet Explorer 6 and Windows Media Player 10 or 9.

For Internet Explorer 7, you can uninstall it in the Add/Remove Programs. For Windows Media Player 11, you have to follow the steps in the following URL. Scroll down to Rolling Back To A Previous Version.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...movingthePlayer

Archived