New_Years_Baby

Trying to backup

Hello, I'm trying to backup stuff on my computer using the data cd project described in this article:

http://www.udel.edu/topics/backups/roxio.html

I have all the stuff ready I want to backup, and I click record, and a box pops up saying something about a compatibility issue and some filepaths not being large enough, and do you want to continue or cancel, so I clicked cancel...now what? oh yeah, and the other day I tried making another data cd (it would have had both pictures and videos on it) and the same thing happened, except that time I clicked continue. It burned the cd, but nothing works on it...pictures don't show up, and videos don't play.

What do I do now? I asked some questions at the Dell Forums (my computer's a Dell) because the fan/or harddrive on my computer sometimes makes a loud buzzing/humming noise and was told to start backing up things cause it could be going shot. I was given a few links to check out on how to backup your harddrive ect. and I chose to use the Roxio data cd way instead of formatting a cd and doing a backup the Windows way. I really need to do a backup on my computer.

What can I do to fix this?! :blink::huh:

and a box pops up saying something about a compatibility issue and some filepaths not being large enough, and do you want to continue or cancel, so I clicked cancel...now what?

Under file in the Easy Cd Creator window, click CD Project Properties, on the General Tab, under File System, change it to UDF. Now does that work?

cd

Yes! that worked! thanks :lol:

Good to hear that worked for you! I swear there were more posts in this thread. :)

cd ;)

I asked some questions at the Dell Forums (my computer's a Dell) because the fan/or harddrive on my computer sometimes makes a loud buzzing/humming noise and was told to start backing up things cause it could be going shot. I was given a few links to check out on how to backup your harddrive ect. and I chose to use the Roxio data cd way instead of formatting a cd and doing a backup the Windows way. I really need to do a backup on my computer.

What can I do to fix this?! :blink::huh:

Now that you have everything backed up, you should figure out what's making the noise to see if you can "save" your computer. Take the side cover off and let it run that way. When you hear the noise, get your ear down in there and see if you can determine whether it's the processor fan, case fan, Power Supply fan, or HD. The case and processor fans are quite easy to change (usually). The power supply fan also isn't usually too hard to change, but it does involve opening the power supply case, so if you're not comfortable doing that, either have someone else who is comfortable do it, or buy a new power supply.

If it's the HD, then it's probably time to buy a new drive, clone the old one to the new one, and replace it.

Keep in mind, the backup you've made will not restore a new drive so that you can boot Windows and run. You would first have to install the new drive, load Windows and your applications, and then you can copy your Data files off the CDs you've made.

Hope that helps!

The power supply fan also isn't usually too hard to change, but it does involve opening the power supply case, so if you're not comfortable doing that, either have someone else who is comfortable do it, or buy a new power supply.

To expand on d_deweywright's caution, opening a power supply!

Power supplies contain capacitors which can hold a dangerous charge for a few minutes. Usually the integral bleeder resistor ensures the capacitor does not remain charged for much longer than a few minutes.

cd

Now that you have everything backed up, you should figure out what's making the noise to see if you can "save" your computer. Take the side cover off and let it run that way. When you hear the noise, get your ear down in there and see if you can determine whether it's the processor fan, case fan, Power Supply fan, or HD. The case and processor fans are quite easy to change (usually). The power supply fan also isn't usually too hard to change, but it does involve opening the power supply case, so if you're not comfortable doing that, either have someone else who is comfortable do it, or buy a new power supply.

If it's the HD, then it's probably time to buy a new drive, clone the old one to the new one, and replace it.

Keep in mind, the backup you've made will not restore a new drive so that you can boot Windows and run. You would first have to install the new drive, load Windows and your applications, and then you can copy your Data files off the CDs you've made.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info. See, I asked the question about the fan(s) noise at my local computer place...they said to replace the fan (didn't say which fan) and it would cost $80...but the thing is, my computer is 6 years old, and they advised not even to bother sticking money into a computer that's only probably worth $50-75. If this computer goes shot (which, I hope it doesn't yet!!!) then I think i'm better off buying a brand new computer (wouldn't you? j/w.) :mellow:

I'd rather have a computer with a flat panel monitor (instead of a big clunky CRT) and one with much larger RAM and HD (this computer only has 128 MB of RAM and 40 GB HD lmao...well, it is 6 years old :rolleyes: )

But for now, (and until I can afford a new computer) I hope this one lasts for a while. *crosses fingers* <_<

Thanks for the info. See, I asked the question about the fan(s) noise at my local computer place...they said to replace the fan (didn't say which fan) and it would cost $80...but the thing is, my computer is 6 years old, and they advised not even to bother sticking money into a computer that's only probably worth $50-75. If this computer goes shot (which, I hope it doesn't yet!!!) then I think i'm better off buying a brand new computer (wouldn't you? j/w.) :mellow:

I'd rather have a computer with a flat panel monitor (instead of a big clunky CRT) and one with much larger RAM and HD (this computer only has 128 MB of RAM and 40 GB HD lmao...well, it is 6 years old :rolleyes: )

But for now, (and until I can afford a new computer) I hope this one lasts for a while. *crosses fingers* <_<

$80!?! No way. You can buy a processor, case, or power supply fan for about $12. Someone's selling you a line there.

But, I'll not argue that having a brandy new computer isn't a wonderful thing. At the same time, you have one that seems to be servicing your needs. Keep it going for awhile as you move things over to the new computer. Keep the old one for surfing the net... let the kids play on it...

I can see both sides of this, because when my Beloved began to have problems, I paid what was needed even tho they said it wasn't worth it.

Now I've over a year's experience volunteering at interconnection.org refurbishing computers, and if I needed to I could go in ... well, ok, I need to go into the Beloved and replace the sound cord from the modem to the sound card that they left off, I need to go into the [computer in exchange for hours volunteered] and replace the sound cord with one that reaches both optical drives, I need to go into the Beast and add a third Hard Drive. None of those are so urgent I can't let it drift another year or so.

If you know someone who knows computer hardware, you might see what they would be willing to do. The alternative is to see if you can get a refurbished computer ... or anyway, the Beloved has Win98 SE, the Beast has WinXP SP2 - and I got the volunteer computer most recently and am enormously grateful it has Win2K which works more like Win98 SE than WinXP.

If you get a brand new computer, you are going to have to deal with Vista unless you get a Mac. (I'm assuming that Linux might be more than you want to tackle at the moment.)

(And get Upgrading and Fixing Computers for Dummies :))

Lynn

Edit - and you can buy a flat screen and more RAM separately from an entire new computer, and add to the old one - just be sure what kind of RAM. Try Belarc for a list of what you have (www.belarc.com).

Edited by lynn98109

I can see both sides of this, because when my Beloved began to have problems, I paid what was needed even tho they said it wasn't worth it.

Now I've over a year's experience volunteering at interconnection.org refurbishing computers, and if I needed to I could go in ... well, ok, I need to go into the Beloved and replace the sound cord from the modem to the sound card that they left off, I need to go into the [computer in exchange for hours volunteered] and replace the sound cord with one that reaches both optical drives, I need to go into the Beast and add a third Hard Drive. None of those are so urgent I can't let it drift another year or so.

If you know someone who knows computer hardware, you might see what they would be willing to do. The alternative is to see if you can get a refurbished computer ... or anyway, the Beloved has Win98 SE, the Beast has WinXP SP2 - and I got the volunteer computer most recently and am enormously grateful it has Win2K which works more like Win98 SE than WinXP.

If you get a brand new computer, you are going to have to deal with Vista unless you get a Mac. (I'm assuming that Linux might be more than you want to tackle at the moment.)

(And get Upgrading and Fixing Computers for Dummies :))

Lynn

Edit - and you can buy a flat screen and more RAM separately from an entire new computer, and add to the old one - just be sure what kind of RAM. Try Belarc for a list of what you have (www.belarc.com).

Do you think refurbished computers are ok to get? ummm...almost as/or the next best thing as a new one? I know Dell sells refurbished computers...my computer is a Dell, so I'd like to stick with a Dell. Not that I'm getting a new/refurbished comp. right now, but later on...whenever.

Another thing...I've heard bad things about Vista...is it really as bad as I've heard? I mean, it can't be that impossible to learn can it? lol...I have XP on my comp...and I've also heard XP is still better/easier than Vista...true?

Well, the main computer I use these days is a refurbished Dell, but I did the work myself at interconnection.org, and it's a great deal older than what you would get from Dell. (PIII, 1GHz)

A lot of people reject a computer because they don't like the color, or some similar minor quibble, and often it is a good bargain. However, be sure someone who knows computers checks the hardware - making sure everything works - because sometimes something will have a minor glitch that the routine checks miss.

I'm staying away from Vista. However, when the WALL STREET JOURNAL's Walt Mossburg reviewed Vista, while he said it had a lot of good points, he also said he cursed a lot before getting the hang of it. They redesigned it, all right, and I have serious doubts it will fly - but then, I've been called "negative" about a lot of things, even if it often turned out I was correct ... :huh:

Lynn