• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Problem closing PC with Backup My PC

ESC

Question

That should be CLONING, not CLOSING, sorry!

We just got several new PCs at the library where I work. I wanted to set one up the way we wanted it, and then use Backup My PC to copy the programs and settings to the other computers. There are two users with different settings, some gpedit tweaks, group policy settings, several plug-ins and programs, and all the Windows Updates since SP2.

From what I read in the Help screens, it sounds like it should work. But--

1) It changed the Dell Service Tag of the 2nd machine to the tag number of the "cloned" PC. What do I uncheck so this doesn't happen?

2) Even if I don't check anything next to any of the Java listings, I still end up with two versions of Java, neither of which I can uninstall. Can't reinstall a new version, either.

3) Some icons in one user's desktop are there, but "blank".

4) Internet Explorer won't open.

Very frustrated at this point! I've had to run System Restore several times to start fresh again, trying various combinations of checking and unchecking boxes. It would have been quicker to install all these things one by one.

Are there any detailed explanations anywhere of what the different check boxes actually control? Any other ideas or tips?

1 answer to this question

Archived