• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

OEM version - use with XP instead of Vista

Signe

Question

My HP notebook came with Vista and Easy Creator Basic.

I ran out of patience with Vista and created a separate partition and installed XP.

Is there any way for me to use Creator on XP? I cannot find any setup application to run that would let me do this. I searched all of the Roxio folders on my Vista drive.

I do not have dual boot setup - at least not yet, but all of the original files that came with the system are intact.

Any way to make Creator work running under XP on this system?

Thanks

4 answers to this question

If it helps...

microsoft.com has quite a few docs spelling out how to set up a dual boot PC with Vista. The boot setup for Vista itself is both editable and repairable, so you should be able to take your existing installs and get them to dual boot without having to re-install either. The best way to find step-by-step directions is to Google, since there are different methods, and you can best determine which one fit's your situation best.

As g7omy pointed out, you'll need some sort of set-up files for the Roxio software, and it wouldn't hurt to have a Vista set-up disk either if you don't have one. It's been quite a while since I dealt with an HP laptop, but you used to be able to get set-up discs, at least for the OS from HP on request. Or I believe the Vista trial you can download is the same as their regular installation disc.

For EMC, HP *used to* put everything on a separate hard drive partition, and include a disc that restored the laptop to the same condition it was in when shipped. That extra partition *used* to include all the software including Windows, plus all the possible driver files for everything they shipped at the time. You could access the set-up files for any software like EMC that came with your laptop that were on that partition -- accessing them on the restore disc however wasn't possible. If you decide that you want/need to restore your laptop to as-shipped configuration as a first step, assuming it works the same way as it used to, make sure that you have any needed serial numbers or keys for your software & Windows.

My HP notebook came with Vista and Easy Creator Basic.

I ran out of patience with Vista and created a separate partition and installed XP.

Is there any way for me to use Creator on XP? I cannot find any setup application to run that would let me do this. I searched all of the Roxio folders on my Vista drive.

I do not have dual boot setup - at least not yet, but all of the original files that came with the system are intact.

Any way to make Creator work running under XP on this system?

Thanks

First, the easiest way to dual boot is to install Vista first but there are ways to fix what you've done (we can discuss this in a PM if you need to).

As for running EMC in XP, yes it works but are you asking to use the version that came with your PC? I'm not 100% sure you can though I would think you should be able to. OEM versions are different so you'd have to ask HP about that. Did they give you a separate disc for the installed software that came on your pc? Nowadays, they rip you off and only give you a part of the hard drive to recover your system.

First, the easiest way to dual boot is to install Vista first but there are ways to fix what you've done (we can discuss this in a PM if you need to).

As for running EMC in XP, yes it works but are you asking to use the version that came with your PC? I'm not 100% sure you can though I would think you should be able to. OEM versions are different so you'd have to ask HP about that. Did they give you a separate disc for the installed software that came on your pc? Nowadays, they rip you off and only give you a part of the hard drive to recover your system.

Hi,

I'd be thrilled if you want to tell me how to get dual-boot working. My laptop came with Vista installed, so installing it after XP was not possible. I did not get media to install Vista or any of the imbedded apps.

If I were able to dual boot, I could just do that to record a DVD now and then. So, if you'd like to PM me, please do.

I would like to use the EMC I got with the laptop on XP. I'll put a note in the HP forum as well to see if anyone has a suggestion. MANY people have gone back to XP. And, I am still hoping that someone here might give me a trick to make it work.

Thanks.

Signe

Unfortunately, without an installation CD, you can't install EMC on XP - it needs either the disc or the self-extracting setup files and HP have probably mixed that in with the restore partition so you can't get at it

If you can get an EMC disc from HP, then there's no problem, but you do need that

Archived