• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Ubuntu and Roxio

smonteijr

Has anyone used Ubuntu? Will it work with the Linux version of EMC?

Several here use a Linux-based OS. User sisterscape has just switched to Ubuntu, should be posts below yours a page or two down. Will Roxio EMC work with them no.

The other player has N _ _O Linux 3.

cd

Has anyone used Ubuntu? Will it work with the Linux version of EMC?

I use Ubuntu occassionally in a dual boot with Vista (test machine). There is no Linux version of EMC that I'm aware of nor do I know of any in the works.

Ubuntu offers a Live CD with all it's offering that fits on 1 cd and while a bit slow, you can actually run it from you cd drive without altering your present system. A number of distros offer the same thing as a taste of what you can do with Linux. I don't know much about it but I believe PCLinux OS or 2007 is a Linux program that actually installs inside of Windows. And finally, there's Virtual PC where you can try any other OS from within Windows.

cd mentioned sisterscape who I agree might be a good person to talk to about this as well.

The only way to get any Roxio product to work in Linux is to run it in a Virtual Machine (such as VMWare). Unfortunately, as VMWare doesn't support DirectX and uses its own graphics drivers, the highest version I ever got to work was ECD6

However, there is a very nice app called K3B which will do most of what is needed

I'm fed up dropping hints here that it's high time that Roxio/Sonic did develop a penguin flavour binary - after all, Toast is *nix based (the Mac OS X is just FreeBSD with a fancy desktop)

OMG! Ubuntu ROCKS! It's been well over a month now. While it took a little getting used to, (and there are still a few things to get worked out like Gimp proficiency, NFS file share, NoteTab under Wine etc.) there's no turning back.

Currently, I have no need for video editing (or even cd/dvd burning) so finding an editor for Linux isn't pressing. I did play with a few apps but none came close to EMC so I put the quest aside for another time.

I am under the impression that the 'other player's' Linux version is only the burner, not the video editor. When I once installed a trial of N--o on Winblows it took over the whole frickin machine, icons and all. Took a system restore to get rid of it. I am hesitant to muck up my Ubuntu installation in the same way. When I checked out the Linux version, I was under the impression that there were strings attached - that it wasn't exactly free - and that it was only the burner not the editor. I also thought K3B was a burner not an editor - please clarify. Besides, I just got got rid of the Kubuntu desktop and back to pure Gnome so am hesitant to start adding Kubuntu apps.

You can install Ubuntu within Windoze using the Wubi installer. It sets up in Program Files just like any other app. I think there is also an installer to transfer it into a partition install if you like it and want to go that route. There is a Wubi forum over at Ubuntu. Disclaimer: I have not tried Wubi so have no experience to share.

And yes . . . ROXIO PLEASE GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER AND PORT TOAST TO LINUX!!!!

Thanks for all the input!!! I spent all night playing with virtual machine, ubuntu and freespire. Lots of fun and many forums with info out there on the web to help newbies! I just started to scratch the surface in 6 1/2 hours. Too bad my summer vacation is over and school starts tommorrow, lol.

Archived