• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Videowave - Change of Widescreen to Normal

JAB

Question

Hi

I have created a Videowave project in Widescreen, but need to send a copy to a family member who soes not have widescreen. I would like, therefore to be able to change the existing project from widescreen to normal (4:3), or if that is not possible, to copy all of the individual edits/trims, text, and transitions etc into a new project with the normal setting. I should be grateful for any information on how to do this. I have tried RoxAnn and the knowledgebase but with no answer.

Thanks

14 answers to this question

Thanks, I had not noticed your amendment but have now seen it. I will try both as a test to see whether there is any difference in quality. As you say the fisrt method works just fine, although it would appear from the resulting file when looked at back in Videowave that EC10 deals with "squaring up" the letterbox of widescreen by adding a border at the top to match those at the sides rather than truncating the side borders and therefore leaving the video smaller in appearance than the original .avi file. It is not clear to me at this point whether this is just the way it looks or whether the burn file will also be the same.

I will look at your second suggestion.

Thanks again.

I think the second method will be better from that point of view. Let me know what you think..

I previously had v7.5 and from memory the choice on aspect was only taken at burn. If my memory is correct v 10 seems a step backward.

Anyway, again thanks again for your time and help.

Version 7.5 does not support widescreen video, so there is not a choice to burn it as widescreen. If there was, I wouldn't be using later versions.

Thanks,

I agree that the second method is better. It is quite easy to carry out and mush faster than the first. It also does not seem to "square off " the picture with extra top and bottom borders as the first does. The only small issue with this method is that there is obviously some other flag or variable in the .dmsm file related to aspect and so even after changing from a 16:9 to a 4:3 aspect the Production Properties screen still refers to "deafault handling for non 16:9" data. Now as far as I can see this does not cause any difficulty in the project - I put together and burned two identical short videos on one DVD, one still at 16:9 and the other changed with the second method to a 4:3. Both worked fine and on the traditional 4:3 screen I tested it on and it was well worth the effort of doing (the 16:9 on a traditional screen lost a lot of viewing area). So I can't see that the point above regarding the Production Properties has any impact on the finished article - although I will be aware of the question as I go forward on a bigger project just in case.

Glad it worked for you. As for the additional flag, I haven't found it. There is an associated .dat file with every .dmsm file, but, although it opens in Notepad, it is not readily readable as it is a hex file. Maybe that additional bit is in that file. However, if the end product is satisfactory, then as you say it is not of practical impportance. It mightperhaps affect things if one does further editing after 'converting' the project to 4:3, but I have not tested that. Presumably one would normally (as you did) complete the project in one aspect ratio and only make the change in the .dmsm file to change the project's aspect ratio without further editing.

Version 7.5 does not support widescreen video, so there is not a choice to burn it as widescreen. If there was, I wouldn't be using later versions.

Ok, I have only used widescreen in v10, I just had a recollection of being asked for a choice on the aspect in v7.5 ( where I always took 4:3). I am willing to bow to better knowledge .... I must be getting old and perhaps imaging what I hoped, rather than what was!

Thanks for the correction.

Ok, I have only used widescreen in v10, I just had a recollection of being asked for a choice on the aspect in v7.5 ( where I always took 4:3). I am willing to bow to better knowledge .... I must be getting old and perhaps imaging what I hoped, rather than what was!

Thanks for the correction.

Well, I'm not getting any younger, either. :) I will try to load a widescreen video file in EMC 7.5 right now.

I just brought a widescreen .avi into VideoWave and saved it. I then opened DVD Builder, brought it in, clicked on the burn button, and there wasn't anything about aspect ratio. It just puts it at 4:3.

Glad it worked for you. As for the additional flag, I haven't found it. There is an associated .dat file with every .dmsm file, but, although it opens in Notepad, it is not readily readable as it is a hex file. Maybe that additional bit is in that file. However, if the end product is satisfactory, then as you say it is not of practical impportance. It mightperhaps affect things if one does further editing after 'converting' the project to 4:3, but I have not tested that. Presumably one would normally (as you did) complete the project in one aspect ratio and only make the change in the .dmsm file to change the project's aspect ratio without further editing.

Yes, I suspect that the .dat file may hold the additional answer, but have only made a mental note in case something strange shows up in th future. Logically (if logic has anything to do with it) likely to only be an issue if the project contains several different sources of data. Mine are really only split pieces of video from the same source and so they will all be either 16:9 or 4:3. As such perhaps the production prefs may not affect the homogeneous source data. If perhaps I had a mixture of 4:3 and 16:9 source in the same project then it might be an issue. As you say a further edit may produce a different result so I will keep my eye out for any issues.

I believe that dat file contains the thumbnail data used to display the panel pics in the production. This data was part of the dmsm file under EMC 7.5 but seems to have been split into separate files now (beginning with EMC 8 ?)

Well, I'm not getting any younger, either. :) I will try to load a widescreen video file in EMC 7.5 right now.

I just brought a widescreen .avi into VideoWave and saved it. I then opened DVD Builder, brought it in, clicked on the burn button, and there wasn't anything about aspect ratio. It just puts it at 4:3.

Ok.. confirmed.. I have lost my marbles! :)

Thanks.

First off, they should be able to play the 16:9 on a 4:3 in letter box (they'll have black borders top and bottom).

As to converting the aspect ratio, I don't know if this would work for you, but I did the following (I created files on my hard dive rather than burn to DVD):

First I created a short slide show in 16:9 format in Videowave, output as mpeg 2 for DVD best quality. The output file was 720 by 576. In WMP it showed as 4:3 displayed as 16:9. I then opened Video Copy and convert, (click Convert Video in EMC 10 Home/video screen), video compilation tab, added the mpg I'd created. Then in options, Output profile, I selected Mpeg 2, Output resolution 640 by 480, Screen adaptation:letterbox, click OK, then select file/folder,, click save as , and let it convert. The created file was indeed 640 by 480, and in WMP it showed aspect ratio 4:3.

PS I found another possibility:

Having saved the 16:9 videowave production as a .dmsm file, first make a backup copy of the .dmsm file in case things go wrong. Then open the .dmsm file in Notepad. In Notepad click edit menu, replace, in the find box type 1.77777777777778, replace by 1.33333333333333. Click replace all. Save the file. Now open the production in Videowave. It should have aspect ratio 4:3, but preview it in case some of the items have got distorted.

Thanks. Yes I know they will be able to see the the widescreen; I am just trying to maximise the picture size and avoid the annoying borders, particularly as I believe that the screen dimensions are not that large.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a go and revert.

Again, thanks for the help.

I think the second method will be better from that point of view. Let me know what you think..

Thanks,

I agree that the second method is better. It is quite easy to carry out and mush faster than the first. It also does not seem to "square off " the picture with extra top and bottom borders as the first does. The only small issue with this method is that there is obviously some other flag or variable in the .dmsm file related to aspect and so even after changing from a 16:9 to a 4:3 aspect the Production Properties screen still refers to "deafault handling for non 16:9" data. Now as far as I can see this does not cause any difficulty in the project - I put together and burned two identical short videos on one DVD, one still at 16:9 and the other changed with the second method to a 4:3. Both worked fine and on the traditional 4:3 screen I tested it on and it was well worth the effort of doing (the 16:9 on a traditional screen lost a lot of viewing area). So I can't see that the point above regarding the Production Properties has any impact on the finished article - although I will be aware of the question as I go forward on a bigger project just in case.

If anyone from Roxio ever reviews these screen newsgroups they might like to think about this simple switch being in the programme. I started out with the intention of a widescreen for my main TV and then ran into the problem of how to change it to. I am sure that some people will start with one aspect only to realise it is the wrong one. I previously had v7.5 and from memory the choice on aspect was only taken at burn. If my memory is correct v 10 seems a step backward.

Anyway, again thanks again for your time and help.

Thanks, I had not noticed your amendment but have now seen it. I will try both as a test to see whether there is any difference in quality. As you say the fisrt method works just fine, although it would appear from the resulting file when looked at back in Videowave that EC10 deals with "squaring up" the letterbox of widescreen by adding a border at the top to match those at the sides rather than truncating the side borders and therefore leaving the video smaller in appearance than the original .avi file. It is not clear to me at this point whether this is just the way it looks or whether the burn file will also be the same.

I will look at your second suggestion.

Thanks again.

Archived