• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Problems w/audio sync and aspect ratio

mplummer

Question

I just bought and installed EMC9. I'm having 2 problems with a dual-layer DVD I'm making. My original video are all DV AVI clips, edited and encoded out of Adobe Premiere CS3. Captured and edited in 16:9.

Problem #1) Audio is out of sync with video. I found other reports of this and did as suggested without results... defragged drives, disconnected from 'net and shut off virus protection (along with anything else running in the background), I'm not using my computer while encoding... am I missing anything? My Proxy/Narration/Temp/Audio filter folders are all on the same drive - and I've tried multiple drives. (one internal, one external connected via USB) What if I try to re-encode out the DV AVI's to a different format using whatever Roxio's editing program is? Is MyDVD more picky about certain file formats?

Problem #2) I built my menus in MyDVD - using a 16:9 layout. Everything looks fine on-screen, but after I burn to DVD, only the menus are in 16:9. (even the encoding preview window shows 4:3)

I'm running XP SP2 on a Sony VAIO - 2gig RAM, approx 2ghz processor, 128mb vid card. I'm burning to a brand new LG external dual-layer burner.

I've used EMC 6 on this machine for years without troubles but upgraded simply for enhanced menus. I wish I could find my EMC 6 CD! Thanks in advance for any help any of you can give!

6 answers to this question

Problem #2) I built my menus in MyDVD - using a 16:9 layout. Everything looks fine on-screen, but after I burn to DVD, only the menus are in 16:9. (even the encoding preview window shows 4:3)

The project properties or settings are for the menus only -- it's this way to my knowledge in several DVD authoring apps. A DVD player will follow the aspect ratio flags set in the mpg2 title video -- that's why or how a Retail movie DVD might be wide screen but show full screen (4:3) previews or trailers.

For a DVD both 4:3 & 16:9 video is the same frame size -- the player just stretches the display when it sees the 16:9 flag. You could encode to mpg2 in Premiere using the 16:9 flag, or maybe make sure the flag is set in the files you import into MyDVD. You could try encoding to mpg2 as a separate step in Videowave setting the mpg2 flag, and/or there are programs that will change or set the flag for you, rewriting but not re-encoding the file -- I know these work for mpg2, but I'm not sure for 16:9 DV. Maybe Videowave/MyDVD is mis-reading flags set in premiere or it's setting them incorrectly?

For audio sync... Have you tried using and importing a different audio format? Or maybe importing a wav or ac3 audio file made from you premiere output? If it's misunderstanding the flags, maybe it's misunderstanding something about the audio too?

I just bought and installed EMC9. I'm having 2 problems with a dual-layer DVD I'm making. My original video are all DV AVI clips, edited and encoded out of Adobe Premiere CS3. Captured and edited in 16:9.

Problem #1) Audio is out of sync with video. I found other reports of this and did as suggested without results... defragged drives, disconnected from 'net and shut off virus protection (along with anything else running in the background), I'm not using my computer while encoding... am I missing anything? My Proxy/Narration/Temp/Audio filter folders are all on the same drive - and I've tried multiple drives. (one internal, one external connected via USB) What if I try to re-encode out the DV AVI's to a different format using whatever Roxio's editing program is? Is MyDVD more picky about certain file formats?

I'm running XP SP2 on a Sony VAIO - 2gig RAM, approx 2ghz processor, 128mb vid card. I'm burning to a brand new LG external dual-layer burner.

I've used EMC 6 on this machine for years without troubles but upgraded simply for enhanced menus. I wish I could find my EMC 6 CD! Thanks in advance for any help any of you can give!

Not sure, but it could be a problem with how EMC 9 reads those Adobe Premiere files that you are feeding it. You could bring the original .avi files into VideoWave for editing. I have never had a problem with my widescreen captures by doing the editing in VideoWave.

Not sure, but it could be a problem with how EMC 9 reads those Adobe Premiere files that you are feeding it. You could bring the original .avi files into VideoWave for editing. I have never had a problem with my widescreen captures by doing the editing in VideoWave.

I kind of figured this was my next step - thanks Bruce. (even though for years I used Premiere and Easy CD Creator 6 without problems) Re-editing EVERYTHING simply isn't an option - if that's the case I'll drop the $$$ for a better app. B) But I'll drop my DV AVI's into VideoWave and encode those out and see what happens.

What are the chances this would/could fix my sync problem too?

I kind of figured this was my next step - thanks Bruce. (even though for years I used Premiere and Easy CD Creator 6 without problems) Re-editing EVERYTHING simply isn't an option - if that's the case I'll drop the $$$ for a better app. B) But I'll drop my DV AVI's into VideoWave and encode those out and see what happens.

I have never had audio/sync problems, so hopefully it will work for you. I am not saying anything is wrong with the Adobe software, but maybe it does something to the files that EMC doesn't like.

I am having the same problems with the Aspect Ratio. It seems it reads the flags from my AVI files incorrectly. I used Pinnacle Studio to create my HD AVI files. It would be nice if one could either fix this problem or be upfront about it in stating it will not work unless you purchase the software.

I am having the same problems with the Aspect Ratio. It seems it reads the flags from my AVI files incorrectly. I used Pinnacle Studio to create my HD AVI files. It would be nice if one could either fix this problem or be upfront about it in stating it will not work unless you purchase the software.

This thread is almost 2 years old!

The software ceased production 2 years ago!

You would think Pinnacle would get on the stick and fix their files by now! – or is that program 2 years old too :lol:

Archived