• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Sonic HD Demuxer causes Windows Photo Gallery to crash

Jong1

Question

Sonic HD Demuxer, I assume bundled with EMC, causes Window Photo Gallery (Vista) to crash every time I open it until its Direct Show merit is reduced to "unlikely" (default is "00800201 ").

Photo Gallery's error report identifies Sonic HD Demuxer as the only non native Vista program/dll being used at the time of the crash. Reducing the merit of Sonic HD Demuxer fixes the problem. I have reduced the merit and tested (all OK), upped the merit and retested (crash returns), then lowered it again and all is OK.

I believe it is because I have some cellphone produced video files with .3gp and .mp4 extensions and Sonic HD Demuxer is trying to insert itself into the graph. It clearly is not capable of doing so.

9 answers to this question

Glad it helped. Roxio have been discussing with me by PM. It is being actively investigated.

Jon

Roxio,

Can you open Windows Movie Maker on a Vista machine and choose tools>options and look at the filter list.

On my machine there are a whole load of filters with the same bizzare Korean/Chinese character name, some in my System32 folder but some in Sonic Shared. Disabling these here seems to fix all my Windows Photo Gallery issues, some of which I had not attributed to EMC (tip from the Microsoft Vista music_pictures_video newsgroup).

It seems maybe you have quite a few troublesome filters in your install that Vista apps are trying to use.

Same problem 'Windows Photo Gallery has stopped working'

I do NOT have any .2gp or .mp4 cell generated files

You say that you '. . .reduced the merit and tested (all OK), upped the merit and retested (crash returns), then lowered it again and all is OK'

Can you be more specific on your fix? Is this a registry edit?

Thanks

Here is the error report on my machine

Product - Windows Photo Gallery

Problem - Stopped working

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: WindowsPhotoGallery.exe

Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Application Timestamp: 4549b56d

Fault Module Name: SonicHDDemuxer.dll

Fault Module Version: 4.3.0.96

Fault Module Timestamp: 46bc292c

Exception Code: c0000094

Exception Offset: 0000a97b

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 8d13

Additional Information 2: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

Additional Information 3: 8d13

Additional Information 4: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

if you move the SonicHDDemuxer.dll file from its current location or rename it, does Windows Photo Gallery still crash?

Renamed c:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic Shared\SonicHDDemuxer.dll to a dummy name

Photo gallery opens, then message:

'Please wait while configuring Roxio CinePlayer Decoder Pack'

Then Photo Gallery crashes.

the file has been re-created and exists again:

c:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic Shared\SonicHDDemuxer.dll

Same problem 'Windows Photo Gallery has stopped working'

I do NOT have any .2gp or .mp4 cell generated files

You say that you '. . .reduced the merit and tested (all OK), upped the merit and retested (crash returns), then lowered it again and all is OK'

Can you be more specific on your fix? Is this a registry edit?

Thanks

Here is the error report on my machine

Product - Windows Photo Gallery

Problem - Stopped working

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: WindowsPhotoGallery.exe

Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Application Timestamp: 4549b56d

Fault Module Name: SonicHDDemuxer.dll

Fault Module Version: 4.3.0.96

Fault Module Timestamp: 46bc292c

Exception Code: c0000094

Exception Offset: 0000a97b

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 8d13

Additional Information 2: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

Additional Information 3: 8d13

Additional Information 4: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

I used a tool called Radlight Filter Manager to bring down the merit.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/RadLight_Filter_Manager

Just open it and search for Sonic HD Demuxer in Directshow filters and reduce the merit to "Unlikely". Actually it would be really useful to see if this fix works for you too. It is trivially easy to reverse you just need to type the original merit value back in the box you will see. The default value is in my original post. You will need to open the app as an administrator to make the change.

You also need to log off and on again to effect the change.

Jon

In case this helps anyone, here is a snapshot of the Windows Movie Maker filter compatibility tab clearly showing two identically named Chinese/Korean titled filters, one in the Sonic Shared folder, one in System32. There are several more with the same Chinese/Korean titles in System32, lower down the list and not shown.

sonicfilters.jpg

I used a tool called Radlight Filter Manager to bring down the merit.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/RadLight_Filter_Manager

Just open it and search for Sonic HD Demuxer in Directshow filters and reduce the merit to "Unlikely". Actually it would be really useful to see if this fix works for you too. It is trivially easy to reverse you just need to type the original merit value back in the box you will see. The default value is in my original post. You will need to open the app as an administrator to make the change.

You also need to log off and on again to effect the change.

Jon

BINGO ! !

Windows Photo Gallery now opens and seems to work OK - so far !

Thank You :D

Just hit another problem where Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 is not able to extract a thumbnail because it is trying to use Divx Demux and Divx Video Decoder from EMC10. Demeriting them and allowing ffdshow to handle fixes the problem.

A filter configuration utility which lists all the filters in EMC10 and allows people to enable/disable use in external applications would help people I feel.

Archived