• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

16:9 lost on clips , but not during transition

suej

Question

Have any of you experienced an issue that after burning the imaga (iso) and viewing it that the screen size jumps from a widescreen image that has the black horizontal bars to the widescreen version that looks fullscreen with the both sides 'overflowing' beyond the screen?

I've updated directx, media player, and video card. I'm using a laptop Dell latitude D820, XP Professional, nVidia Quadro NVS 110M, that is a whopping 60 days old. According to nVidia and logs in this forum, with laptops you should go to manufacturer for updates - which explains why none of nVidia could install their downloads on my laptop. Dell support provided me with the latest updates for video card.

The easy answer is to remove the transitions (a common solution for issues) but there's got to be another solution. C'mon, those transitions add a great effect, there's got to be a way to make them play nice.

I look forward to the expert advice that I've come to count on from this forum!

6 answers to this question

Don't judge the output by that preview. It is always 4:3. why? Well because the DVD is always 720X480. 16:9 uses non-square pixels so technically it IS still 4:3 squished looking, but the playback should be fine. So does the finished DVD playback correctly?

If not, then we need to look at the source files. What camcorder? How did you transfer the files? Did you capture as DV AVI or are they MPEG 2 or some other format?

Actually, the preview does reflect the final outcome, in this situation. You can see it bounce between the different sizes in preview as the final DVD outcome. I don't believe its the camcorder (Panasonic GS300) and how it was imported - media import video. The previous 'in progress' DVD from the exact source and videowave worked fabulous. Then I got greedy and in one section put transitions, as well as color panels to separate segments within. Somehow, now the videowave file seems to have been corrupted. No matter what I do to return it to the 'working' version the clips in dvd don't want to stay. At this point I'm throwing in the towel and starting over. I'm going to avoid both transitions and color panels as I'm not sure which one triggered the undesirable results. Its just frustrating that I can't use the features of emc to produce the results I want.

Actually, the preview does reflect the final outcome, in this situation. You can see it bounce between the different sizes in preview as the final DVD outcome. I don't believe its the camcorder (Panasonic GS300) and how it was imported - media import video. The previous 'in progress' DVD from the exact source and videowave worked fabulous. Then I got greedy and in one section put transitions, as well as color panels to separate segments within. Somehow, now the videowave file seems to have been corrupted. No matter what I do to return it to the 'working' version the clips in dvd don't want to stay. At this point I'm throwing in the towel and starting over. I'm going to avoid both transitions and color panels as I'm not sure which one triggered the undesirable results. Its just frustrating that I can't use the features of emc to produce the results I want.
This may be a silly question, but I didn't see anything noted about it. Do you have the project settings in MyDVD set to 4:3 or 16:9 ?

Sorry, removing the transitions is the only solution. This was also observed in V9 by several users, but we thought it was gone in V10. I say 'some' because it didn't show up with all nVidia cards. I am not aware if this was observed by ATI video card users.

I have uninstalled/installed drivers (why not?), I have removed every transition. Everything looks fine until you watch the preview during the burn process - the result looks like "full screen" - not pretty since the camcoder records in 16:9. Weird! I'm using software render rather than hardware which gave bad screen resolution. I've tried fit to disk and High Quality. If I take the same videowave file that had the transitions removed and put them back in, the bouncing between screen size during transition returns. There's something that is causing conflicts to know should it be full screen or widescreen. My fear is that if I start from scratch that this might happen again somewhere in the editting process.

Everything looks fine until you watch the preview during the burn process - the result looks like "full screen" - not pretty since the camcoder records in 16:9.
Don't judge the output by that preview. It is always 4:3. why? Well because the DVD is always 720X480. 16:9 uses non-square pixels so technically it IS still 4:3 squished looking, but the playback should be fine. So does the finished DVD playback correctly?

If not, then we need to look at the source files. What camcorder? How did you transfer the files? Did you capture as DV AVI or are they MPEG 2 or some other format?

I don't believe its the camcorder (Panasonic GS300) and how it was imported - media import video.
Yes, it could. There was a known issue im V9 when you capture via firewire to MPEG 2. It would lose the 16:9 flag and Videowave would think it si 4:3. However in V10, that seems to be fixed at least on my machine. There were also other instances where video would flip from 16:9 to 4:3 when it shouldn't with some video cards and hardware rendering. There are many other problems when editing MPEG 2 files, too. All reasons why I don't want to move to HiDef yet because all of the consumer hidef camcorders use highly compressed video formats which can be troublesome to edit.

Archived