CRF

Toast 8 can´t burn DVD's on a LG GSA-H55N?

Question

Hi,

My system is OS X 10.4.10

I use Toast 8.0.1 to write my CD's and DVD's, but with my new rewriter LG GSA-H55N I can't write DVD's or sometimes it takes an eternity to burn, however I can burn CD's with no problem.

Somethings that I allready try it:

Write DVD's with the system burn folder and I don´t have any problem;

Install Patchburn 4;

Update rewriter's firmware 1.00 to 1.02.

I think the problem is that Toast isn't compatible with my rewriter!

If anybody have other sugestions I will appreciate.

Thanks,

CRF

17 answers to this question

When it doesn't write to a DVD, what's the error message you got?

Hi Gaper1,

I've been out of office, sorry for take so much time to reply.

In order to your question it never appear a error, it start's with preparing then goes to Lead-In and then it freezes when start to write, other times it writes but do it in 2 hours or more.

When it writes the DVD becames unreadable.

Best regards,

CRF

Hi Gaper1,

I've been out of office, sorry for take so much time to reply.

In order to your question it never appear a error, it start's with preparing then goes to Lead-In and then it freezes when start to write, other times it writes but do it in 2 hours or more.

When it writes the DVD becames unreadable.

Best regards,

CRF

Hi CRF, I have the same issue with computers where I work. Have you found any responses? I would appreciate any response. Thank you.

Hi CRF, I have the same issue with computers where I work. Have you found any responses? I would appreciate any response. Thank you.

Some things to try:

Check that you have the latest firmware update for the drive.

If this happens after an encoding process it could be the drive went to sleep. In this case choose Save as Disc Image (File menu) and burn the resulting disc image using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window.

Slow disc burning can be due to media problems. Choose a different brand of discs.

Some things to try:

Check that you have the latest firmware update for the drive.

If this happens after an encoding process it could be the drive went to sleep. In this case choose Save as Disc Image (File menu) and burn the resulting disc image using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window.

Slow disc burning can be due to media problems. Choose a different brand of discs.

Thanks for the input but I had a similar issue in the past with a computer with another LG Drive. After I installed an update it worked fine. I am almost certain that Toast 8 doesn't have the driver for this drive yet. I wonder if they are going to release another update for Toast 8 anytime soon.

Also, its not that it burns slow it just writes the lead-in then says 11:08 remaining and never progresses. Even if you leave it for hours. There is also no progress bar. I really think it has to be Roxio needing to release an update with the driver in it for Toast.

Edited by Camaroman

Thanks for the input but I had a similar issue in the past with a computer with another LG Drive. After I installed an update it worked fine. I am almost certain that Toast 8 doesn't have the driver for this drive yet. I wonder if they are going to release another update for Toast 8 anytime soon.

Also, its not that it burns slow it just writes the lead-in then says 11:08 remaining and never progresses. Even if you leave it for hours. There is also no progress bar. I really think it has to be Roxio needing to release an update with the driver in it for Toast.

me here the same

it freezes right after lead-in session.

it happens on toast 8 and toast 7 both.

I've updated the firmware to 103, but still no improving.

Try to contact lg at their web site but can't find a way.

Who should be responsible for this?

LG or Roxio?

I think it's roxio because i can use other software and mac osx's native burn programs without any problems

me here the same

it freezes right after lead-in session.

it happens on toast 8 and toast 7 both.

I've updated the firmware to 103, but still no improving.

Try to contact lg at their web site but can't find a way.

Who should be responsible for this?

LG or Roxio?

I think it's roxio because i can use other software and mac osx's native burn programs without any problems

I've found something new.

I use macpower prefect enclosure with the lg h55n.

It seems it's not compatible with this enclosure's firewire port.

I try to connect with a pc via firewire, same thing happened.

I tried usb port and it works perfect.

So it's neither the dvd burner's fault or toast's.

I am still testing to make the final conclusion.

To crf : do you happen to use an enclosure and which model do you use if you do use an enclosure

I've found something new.

I use macpower prefect enclosure with the lg h55n.

It seems it's not compatible with this enclosure's firewire port.

I try to connect with a pc via firewire, same thing happened.

I tried usb port and it works perfect.

So it's neither the dvd burner's fault or toast's.

I am still testing to make the final conclusion.

To crf : do you happen to use an enclosure and which model do you use if you do use an enclosure

Well, I have tried to update the firmware to the latest version and that didn't work. Patchburn isn't made for Leopard. Roxio doesn't appear to know or care that GSA-H55Ns don't work with Toast but do work with the OS by itself. Oh, well. :(

I forgot to add but the problem exists in Toast 9 as well. OS works fine with it (DVD or CD) but Toast won't burn DVDs on it. I guess Roxio gave up supporting certain drives. :(

I forgot to add but the problem exists in Toast 9 as well. OS works fine with it (DVD or CD) but Toast won't burn DVDs on it. I guess Roxio gave up supporting certain drives. :(

Toast shouldn't have any trouble with that drive but it could have a problem with that case. Something else to try is download and apply the latest Combined System Update for your version of OS X. That often are odd Firewire or USB problems that occur after an incremental system update that are fixed by applying the combined system update. This has happened to me a couple of times and is commonly reported at Macfixit.com. It does no harm and may be the cure.

Otherwise make sure you have applied the latest firmware updates for both the case and the LG drive.

Toast shouldn't have any trouble with that drive but it could have a problem with that case. Something else to try is download and apply the latest Combined System Update for your version of OS X. That often are odd Firewire or USB problems that occur after an incremental system update that are fixed by applying the combined system update. This has happened to me a couple of times and is commonly reported at Macfixit.com. It does no harm and may be the cure.

Otherwise make sure you have applied the latest firmware updates for both the case and the LG drive.

Thanks but I am sure it is Toast. I took apart a mac to update the firmware on the burner. 10.5 burns DVD iso's fine on it and when I load the same iso into Toast it doesn't progress any. Toast will burn CDs just not DVDs. Its very weird but the OS is also completely up to date. I have even tried deleting the prefrences but it still doesn't work. For some reason Toast even puts the HLG- GSA-H55N or whatever at the begining like older versions did before updates came out to recognize whatever drives and made it where it only shows the model ie: GSA-H55N. The problem defiantly lies with Toast though. Thanks for the help and responses!

Thanks but I am sure it is Toast. I took apart a mac to update the firmware on the burner. 10.5 burns DVD iso's fine on it and when I load the same iso into Toast it doesn't progress any. Toast will burn CDs just not DVDs. Its very weird but the OS is also completely up to date. I have even tried deleting the prefrences but it still doesn't work. For some reason Toast even puts the HLG- GSA-H55N or whatever at the begining like older versions did before updates came out to recognize whatever drives and made it where it only shows the model ie: GSA-H55N. The problem defiantly lies with Toast though. Thanks for the help and responses!

I wouldnt say the problem lies with toast. I have an older powerpc with Tiger up to date. It has the

LG GSA-H55n. Burning with the finder and apple disk utility works fine, But I have tried many burning software for mac and the same happens. I even took the time to remove the drive, put it on a pc and update firmware to version 1.06 which is the latest. I thought this would make a difference but nothing change. If toast was the problem, the other software might have work but none work on my case, just the finder and apple disk utility and itunes.

this is what i get on system info

2lnhc40.jpg

Edited by alias

I wouldnt say the problem lies with toast. I have an older powerpc with Tiger up to date. It has the

LG GSA-H55n. Burning with the finder and apple disk utility works fine, But I have tried many burning software for mac and the same happens. I even took the time to remove the drive, put it on a pc and update firmware to version 1.06 which is the latest. I thought this would make a difference but nothing change. If toast was the problem, the other software might have work but none work on my case, just the finder and apple disk utility and itunes.

Go to xlr8yourmac.com and select the Drive Compatibility Database. Enter the model number of the drive and you'll see a list of user reports. One item refers to this page which are user reports specifically about DVD burning with that drive.

You may also want to install Patchburn to get support for burning from Apple's apps.

this is what i get on system info

2lnhc40.jpg

The problem is with Toast or Roxio for me. You need patchburn since you have Tiger though. www.patchburn.de download it patch and enjoy.

The problem is with Toast or Roxio for me. You need patchburn since you have Tiger though. www.patchburn.de download it patch and enjoy.

I insist the problem lies with the lg burner (hardware) not Toast!! I patched it with patchburn

HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N:

Firmware Revision:    1.06
  Interconnect:    ATAPI
  Burn Support:    Yes (Vendor Supported)
  Profile Path:    /Library/DiscRecording/DeviceProfiles/PatchBurn-hldtstdvdramgsah55n.drprofile
  Cache:    2048 KB
  Reads DVD:    Yes
  CD-Write:    -R, -RW
  DVD-Write:    -R, -RAM, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
  Burn Underrun Protection CD:    Yes
  Burn Underrun Protection DVD:    Yes
  Write Strategies:    CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
  Media:    No

eventhough it says supported now, no software will work and I have tried a lot, the only way it burns is with finder and that doesnt include double layer DVDs. So Im changing this burner

Hi,

My system is OS X 10.4.10

I use Toast 8.0.1 to write my CD's and DVD's, but with my new rewriter LG GSA-H55N I can't write DVD's or sometimes it takes an eternity to burn, however I can burn CD's with no problem.

Somethings that I allready try it:

Write DVD's with the system burn folder and I don´t have any problem;

Install Patchburn 4;

Update rewriter's firmware 1.00 to 1.02.

I think the problem is that Toast isn't compatible with my rewriter!

If anybody have other sugestions I will appreciate.

Thanks,

If it is not burning at all in Toast it may be something unique to your system. I can burn CDs in Toast just not DVDs. I can however burn everything in Finder.

CRF

Well, I have tried to update the firmware to the latest version and that didn't work. Patchburn isn't made for Leopard. Roxio doesn't appear to know or care that GSA-H55Ns don't work with Toast but do work with the OS by itself. Oh, well. :(

I dont know why you would go and say things without having the reason. First of all I updated the firmware to latest 1.06, I tested other software ( free and shareware) and none work. This drive isnt made for mac. Ppl usually buy pioneer drives which are more compatible. I believe its just good that this drive works with finder. So your solution is either to buy another drive, or stick to burning with finder. Common sense will tell you that if other software dont work maybe its not the software but the hardware.

Another solution might be installing leopard which generates a generic driver for drive I believe, but drives are so cheap this days. newegg has the dvr-116 for 25 bucks, but before buying i would do some google to check and be 100% sure.

Also one that will work for sure with toast was my last drive

Plextor PX- 716A

Their site even has the firmware updater for mac, you might find one on ebay.

Edited by alias