• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

CD/DVD labels

Guest RCD74

Question

Hi - I am just wondering if anyone uses these CD/DVD labels that you can print off your printer and then stick to the cd or dvd. Please tell me a little bit about them and if they are worth buying. I have been doing video work for people and think this will look more professional but I am afraid it will destroy the media. Any thoughts about this? And if anyone uses it, can you suggest the best brand to buy? I assume Avery??

Thanks in advance.

RCD74

11 answers to this question

I have never used them and won't, IMHO they're junk. I did buy a Hp 5160 inkjet printer that prints direct to printable media, very nice $79.00 US.

cd

Thanks for all of your responses.

CD - I just looked online about this HP 5160 and people complained about its limitations in printing a lot of text on the DVDs. You seem to like it so would you mind telling me a little bit about it?? This sounds like what I might be looking for. I really don't like the idea of sticking anything to the media. Also, do you have to use a special DVD to print on it?? I am very fond of my Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-R discs. Thanks in advance.

RCD74

Thanks for all of your responses.

CD - I just looked online about this HP 5160 and people complained about its limitations in printing a lot of text on the DVDs. You seem to like it so would you mind telling me a little bit about it?? This sounds like what I might be looking for. I really don't like the idea of sticking anything to the media. Also, do you have to use a special DVD to print on it?? I am very fond of my Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-R discs. Thanks in advance.

RCD74

No more of a problem printing alot of text than any other labeling system. Yes, and if you like your Verbatim you will love these.

cd

No more of a problem printing alot of text than any other labeling system. Yes, and if you like your Verbatim you will love these.

cd

Wow, thanks. I just read some reviews. Mostly positive. I rarely have trouble with my Verbatims, although this last batch has given me some coasters. Sounds like TY is much more reliable. Thanks so much for your insight. If I do happen to purchase the HP, I may be buggin you to no end!! Thanks cd!!

RCD74

Hi - I am just wondering if anyone uses these CD/DVD labels that you can print off your printer and then stick to the cd or dvd. Please tell me a little bit about them and if they are worth buying. I have been doing video work for people and think this will look more professional but I am afraid it will destroy the media. Any thoughts about this? And if anyone uses it, can you suggest the best brand to buy? I assume Avery??

Thanks in advance.

RCD74

Adding labels to a video disc can cause a problem down the line, if they move a little or start to peel. They can throw the disk off balance and cause the video to skip, or not play at all.

There are alternatives, and I think the best is to get a printer that prints directly to the disc. You have to get printable discs, but the cost is not that much more, and the labels look great and won't cause any problems down the line.

Another option is LightScribe, but you have to have a LightScriber DVD burner and LightScribe discs. There is no color in the LightScribe label on the disc, though.

In Car CD Players where you may have the Defroster on and cause EXTRA Heat to the CD, the label will start to peel and cause the CD to JAM in the player, real BIt-- to get out after.

You may want to do a google search on DISC ROT prior to labeling with a permanent marker as well. Light Scribe seems to be the Best alternative for now, pricey answer but will ensure longlasting trouble free.

DISC ROT can be read about here http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?sectio...mp;print_page=y

and here http://www.manifest-tech.com/media_dvd/dvd_compatibility.htm

and here http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/and...30-kantor_x.htm

more info here http://www.cdr-zone.com/articles/recordabl...ity_page_1.html

Which markers to use and why http://www.supermediastore.com/how-to-dvd-...ling-guide.html

If it is really really important data, Use a LightScribe and take special care of it. At the cost of drives today, I would highly recommend that you do a Magnetic Media Backup of anything that is Super Important. I have cassettes from the very early 70s that still play fine, they were a graphite base tape and not an Oxide so some have turned brittle, but the ones I have from the early 80s which are a ferrite Oxide and Metal Oxide and a Chromium Oxide, are Perfect. I am not sure what the discs are made of in Hard Drives, but it is a magnetic media and will last for at least 20 years, where as CD and DVD is questionable beyond 6 months.

Good Luck and forget Glue labels of any kind.

I have used both stick on labels (Exclusivly "Neato" brand) and never had any problems with them. However, I took cd's suggestion and purchased the HP D5160 printer and have had excellent success. I will never go back to stick on labels. The only thing I found out real quickly was that the printing software that comes with most any of the CD/DVD printable printers are O.K. but are limited. I purchased the "Acoustica" labeling program and found it to be excellent. And Acoustica is compatable with almost any of the printers, including some of the newest one on the market.

Frank...

I have used both stick on labels (Exclusivly "Neato" brand) and never had any problems with them.

It is the glue that will cause a problem, if you never have a problem with the label causing a jam. Here in the North country, that defroster is on a lot and I had numerous problems with every label you can name. I had special Press on Kits etc, still had problems. THEN I read about disc rot and started to do more searching and reading and it is the glue that will eat into the thin label side of the CD or DVd and cause the problems.

The Printer answer may be a good one as well, I have not read anything about Printer Ink, as of yet. I encouraged the Light Scribe only because no chemical is involved.

One more question (for now) cd - Do you use label creator in EMC9 to create your DVD label and then print it on a DVD from the HP printer or do you use their software to design the label?? I have read that the software the HP comes with is very poor. Thanks.

RCD74

One more question (for now) cd - Do you use label creator in EMC9 to create your DVD label and then print it on a DVD from the HP printer or do you use their software to design the label?? I have read that the software the HP comes with is very poor. Thanks.

RCD74

No, I haven't used label creator in EMC9. Yes, the HP software because I'm lazy and not very creative! I grab a jpg image of the net bring it into the HP software and if I want to add some text using HP's text box.

It's not very good, Frank, Mr Red Wagon above, recommended "Acoustica" labeling program and found it to be excellent.

You can use EMC 9 label creator according to post's I have read, you just have to set it up correct.

cd

Archived