• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Anyway To "upgrade" From Emc8 To Emc7.5

leojim77

Question

I haven't had any crashing issues like many have had. I just can't get any usable DVD's when feeding EMC8 my main source of video....my Sony DVD handycam. I use an older version of MYDVD that came with my DVD burner, but it didn't support the audio from my newer Sony cam. Other than that it worked adequately.

I really don't want to spend another $80 on DVD authoring software, but there is a SERIOUS LACK OF SUPPORT FROM ROXIO! If it weren't for the good folks on this community site, there would be essentially zero support.

I would be more than happy to use Ver 7.5 while I wait for Ver 8 to be fixed. I wonder if ROXIO would allow this? I wonder if there is anyway to contact the support people with this request (one that doesn't take 2+ months for a reply!

10 answers to this question

Jimbo is correct. Finalize the disc and see if that works with Media Import.

Another option to try is insert the minidisc into your computer DVD ROM or burner. Copy the VOB files to the hard and rename the extension to MPG. This doesn't always work, but it does for most.

OK, I tried a number of methods.

I finalized the disc and then transfered the video files...No change.

I used media import (only works from the DVD drive, not copies on hard drive).

Imported as Mpg - same old problem

Imported as DIVX AVI.....not willing to sacrifice quality to see if this method works.

Imported as WMV....again, quality issues. The only promising thing I saw here was at least the thumbnails were right side up. For curiousity sake I will burn a DVD with there WMV's, but it is still not an acceptable solution.

Renaming the vob file to mpg didn't work, but my ATI file player would play the vob file.

It's been two weeks since I last contacted Roxio tech support.....I guess I have another 6 weeks to go based on past experience. I've got to bug Sony some more, but I'm sure getting to the end of my rope with Roxio.

Thanks,

LJ

I have a SONY DVDDCR 301. I'm not sure which camera you have, but try this if you have the ImageMixer software.

1. Create a folder on your computer where you want the files to go.

2. Download the clips from the camera into ImageMixer.

3. In ImageMixer, copy the clips into an album.

3. Goto the album. Right-click on a clip and GOTO "Convert to MPEG2." (Note: You can export as DV/AVI, but I haven't experimented with this yet.)

4. Save each clip to the folder created for this purpose in Step 1.

5. You can now work with the clips in Videowave or DVD Builder, including the native audio.

Yes. It's a bit of work to get the files ready, but I've been very pleased with the results that I've gotten from the camera. Crisp, clear, very good. Filmed in SP and not even HQ. I use this camera to make training videos at work and also bought one for my personal use. Just finished making a DVD this morning, as a matter of fact. Testing out new burners.

Another option to try is insert the minidisc into your computer DVD ROM or burner. Copy the VOB files to the hard and rename the extension to MPG. This doesn't always work, but it does for most.

Well, for interest sake I burned a DVD using the WMV's from media import. No "skip back" problem. Unfortunately the quality degradation is unacceptable. Also the multiple extra steps and 3-4 hrs added (triple the time!) makes it a royal pain.

BUT, this is all pointing to one thing. SONY is up to some tricks that are hosing up the video files. I'm going to go after SONY with a vengence at this point. Will likely take some time, but I'm a persisant Kraut!

If all else fails, I will search out a better way to convert the Sony garbage into WMV files without the extra compression (1.1Gb to 260 Mb)

Well, for interest sake I burned a DVD using the WMV's from media import. No "skip back" problem. Unfortunately the quality degradation is unacceptable. Also the multiple extra steps and 3-4 hrs added (triple the time!) makes it a royal pain.

BUT, this is all pointing to one thing. SONY is up to some tricks that are hosing up the video files. I'm going to go after SONY with a vengence at this point. Will likely take some time, but I'm a persisant Kraut!

If all else fails, I will search out a better way to convert the Sony garbage into WMV files without the extra compression (1.1Gb to 260 Mb)

Go read this post and see if it applies to you.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=...hlight=vob+mpeg

cdanteek

What specific problem are you having? How are you capturing or transferring the miniDVD files? You can have version 7.5 & V8 installed at the same time.

The problem was already discussed in "EMC 8 - DVD and Video"

"Video Rendered With Multiple Repeat/overlaps Of Video". You and Grandpa Bruce both worked with me on this (appreciated) but unfortunately it remains unresolved.

The video files are transfered directly by the Sony software designed to transfer the files from the DVD cam to the computer. They are mpg files that are individually created each time you push record on/off.

They play fine on every player I have tried....Real Player, Win Media, Roxio Cine, Divx Player, ATI file player.

One more thing I need to resolve is whether Sony has added code to hose things up.....I wouldn't put it past them.

Other than that, I've heard much good about 7.5 from people who have had no luck with Ver 8. Would love to try 7.5 and if it works, either trade in 8 or wait until a later version of 8.

I've tried the Chat thing but they are always to busy and you can't remain in the que long enough to get help.

Quite frankly, if it weren't for people like you and GP Bruce, there would be no help whatsoever.

Anyhow, that's my story!

Some if not most mini-dvd camcorders (like when we burn a disc on the computer) must finalyze the disc before it can be read in a dvd player. If you are transfering files from the camcorder without closing out the disc the Sony proprietory software in the camera is most likely the culprit. Can you close out the disc on the camera and then place it in the computer and capture this way using media import?

As an owner of nearly every version of the Roxio Creator series, I have found EMC8 to be bloated and totally unstable. I have (with some difficulty) uninstalled EMC8 and got myself back to EMC7.5, which again works like a dream (no freezes or crashes). I have so far wasted the (excessive) upgrade price. I will stick to simpler single function software offerings of quality in future.

Those are excellent suggestions. I chatted with a Sony tech yesterday and he suggested the same thing....finalize the disc and then transfer the files. This was in reference to a different issue (but possibly related). That issue being that the "thumbnails" viewed by windows "explorer" (not Internet Explorer) are upside down for the Sony produced files! They play just fine...just show up upside down in the thumbnails!

I've also seen reference to coping the finallized disc (vob's and all) and then using import a DVD into a MyDVD project. I will try both methods.

I will also try different disk formats....Video vs. VR. Something has got to work and I'm starting to suspect Sony since they are King at trying to lock you into their system through trickery.

Thanks for your help Gentlemen! I will post back in a couple of days or so with results.

Archived