• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

I am getting frustrated with Roxio DVD software

Idaho Hick

Question

Here's what I am trying to do: I recorded the news on my DVD recorder. I want to create an mpeg file of just the portion of the news I want. It is only like two minutes long.

I have tried every editing, copying and DVD authoring program that comes with Roxio 9. By the way...why are there so many? I have successfully made several files, but they either did not start and end when I wanted them to (I missed my target clip), or the audio was not synchronized with the vidio (like an old Japanese karate film). In some programs, the computer just gets stuck and requires me to use the Task Manager to terminate the program.

Why is this so difficult. I am a very computer saavy person. In fact, I am an A+ certified tech. My computer is hand built with really good stuff. It is a 3 Ghz Pentium D with 2 GB high speed ram, a WD Raptor main HD, WD 250 GB 2nd HD, and a high end nvidia video card (500.00 plus).

So does anyone have suggestions? I have a stack of MiniDV tapes from my video camera that I have been having the same type of issues with.

I had the same issues with Roxio 8 and was hoping that 9 fixed them. I don't think I am going to buy 10.

Sincerely,

Idaho Hick

Frustrated Consumer

16 answers to this question

So you already have the video on a standard DVD? Using Explorer, do you see files with vob as extension? If so, you can bring in a vob file in Videowave, and then do your editing (trimming, splitting, etc) there.

Yes sir. But better than that, I have the entire news program now in mpeg-2 format. I just can't successfully cut the large file down to the clip I want.

Idaho Hick

You may also search and purchase a program called VIDEO REDO and edit any file and edit and cut out by frame or section. It is simple to use and very effective and I have used it with my Roxio Programs for a couple of years now. Excellent utility and it is used to do exactly what you are referring to. IT is a VIDEO FILE EDITOR. It works so precisely that I was able to cut a large portion from a video file and link the ends back together where movement was almost precise. Great for creating Home video specials, example, I filmed my wife walking past wearing several changes of clothes and was able to edit into a single walk by where her clothes changed every second and I was able to do so with little or no noticeable jumping. Refer to "Sledgehammer" Video to understand what I am referring to.

I have successfully made several files, but they either did not start and end when I wanted them to (I missed my target clip), or the audio was not synchronized with the vidio (like an old Japanese karate film).

EMC9 doesn't let you select I frames -- mpg2 can only be cut on I frames -- so particularly for a very short clip your start/stop will be off from where you set it. You'll find several free solutions at videohelp.com, But, while they will let you isolate your video to the nearest I frame, perfect audio is going to be iffy... This is because your audio uses a different timing, and is stored in different sized packets.

The surest way to get what you want is to use EMC9's copy program, selecting a little bit before your desired start, and a little bit after the end. Then convert to avi or import as is into Videowave (or another editor), and make sure that after setting your start/stop times, the file is re-encoded. If you trim either/both ends of a mpg2 video, Videowave will re-encode the clip in my experience. This is the only way that I'm aware of (besides buying womble software) to do frame accurate editing of mpg2 video. It's either that or settle for the closest I frame, which is what you've probably been doing.

EMC9 doesn't let you select I frames -- mpg2 can only be cut on I frames

So can I alleviate this problem by selecting a different output format?

The surest way to get what you want is to use EMC9's copy program, selecting a little bit before your desired start, and a little bit after the end. Then convert to avi or import as is into Videowave

This is what I have been trying to do when the program stops running. I do not know what is causing the program to freeze, but this is what I am trying to do when it does.

This is the only way that I'm aware of (besides buying womble software) to do frame accurate editing of mpg2 video.

I will have to look up womble. I don't know what that is.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Idaho Hick

You may also search and purchase a program called VIDEO REDO

Does the audio match up with the picture when using this program? The examples you give sound like they may not have had audio.

Idaho Hick

I thought I would report that I had success with a product called Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0. I have had this software for a while, but the interface was complicated and I could not figure out how to use it. I spent the time to figure out how to cut down clips and it worked perfectly. The first cut gave me more than I asked for up front (the beginning), but there is a fine tuning that can edit down to the exact frame.

I like Roxio's interface better. I would like to hear from anyone who has tried this with Roxio EZMC 10.

Idaho Hick

So can I alleviate this problem by selecting a different output format?

Idaho Hick

Choosing another format, or trimming the start/end of mpg2 video should cause Videowave to decode the picture and re-encode it the same way Prem. does. Cutting in the middle of a clip it can try to save you from re-encoding, or it can re-encode your video -- the difference seems to be your settings for the output mpg2 file, if they closely match or not. You can tell the difference by the preview window during renders -- if you see the video all the way thru, it's re-encoding.... If you see just a few seconds of video, then it goes gray, you're copying.

If Copy is stalling or locking up, personally I think there's something about the DVD it doesn't like -- maybe it's having problems with the DVD menu &/or the video on the recorded disc. You might look up & try some other software to get the video on your hard drive 1st, and then use that with Videowave. There's nothing wrong with Video ReDo -- it just costs you $, and some of these programs you'll find at doom9.org & videohelp.com like Shrink are free.

Womble is a company that makes specialized software, but it costs much more than EMC.

At the end of the day though, nothing's truer that Gary's post: "EDITING MPEG 2 just isn't a good idea."

I've tried Prem Pro, & I own Vegas Pro + DVDA. And it's still not a good idea. Personally if I'm going to edit off a DVD & want best possible quality I'll convert to mjpeg video and wav audio.

At the end of the day though, nothing's truer that Gary's post: "EDITING MPEG 2 just isn't a good idea."

I've tried Prem Pro, & I own Vegas Pro + DVDA. And it's still not a good idea. Personally if I'm going to edit off a DVD & want best possible quality I'll convert to mjpeg video and wav audio.

So this brings me to ask, when I download video from my camcorder, which format should I choose? I don't recall the mjpeg option.

As far as EZMC not liking my DVD, I have the same problem with any DVD and video downloaded from my camera as well. I have always told EZMC to download it in MPEG format because I did not want to lose any of the quality. I plan to burn the home videos to DVD once they are edited and don't want them looking like VHS tapes.

Idaho Hick

I thought I would report that I had success with a product called Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0. I have had this software for a while, but the interface was complicated and I could not figure out how to use it. I spent the time to figure out how to cut down clips and it worked perfectly. The first cut gave me more than I asked for up front (the beginning), but there is a fine tuning that can edit down to the exact frame.

I like Roxio's interface better. I would like to hear from anyone who has tried this with Roxio EZMC 10.

Idaho Hick

I have no problems at all with cutting out portions of .avi files or mpeg2 files in VideoWave. I still like VideoReDo for cutting out portions of mpeg2 clips. It is a little faster than using VideoWave.

I thought I would report that I had success with a product called Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0.
That's because adobe DOES NOT edit MPEG 2 files AT ALL. When you add an MPEG to that program, it automatically converts the file to an intermediary format for editing purposes and then RERENDERS when you output it. That's how it was explained to me on their forum.

EDITING MPEG 2 just isn't a good idea.

Idaho Hick

Does the audio match up with the picture when using this program? The examples you give sound like they may not have had audio.

Idaho Hick

YES! I was giving an example of frame joining and editing. I have used it to cut commercials from programs, to cut unwanted garbage from home videos and link the remaining back together. Audio has been sync.

I use VIDEO REDO to load the VOB files from my DVD RAM Camera and then I save them as a MPEG to my drive. Works great and Audio has not been a problem. When I tried to just copy the folder to my hard drive and then try to play it using Roxio or whatever, it has been out of sync but not when I save it using Video Redo.

go to their web site and read about them. I use it in addition to my other Programs with Roxio etc.

I'm not sure if mikeiem meant mjpeg or if it was a typo, but my suggestion if your looking for the best capture quality is to capture in dv-avi if that's an option for you. The file size will be larger because it has little or no compression to it so it will give you the best quality to start with. It's also easier to work with for editing.

When I tried to just copy the folder to my hard drive and then try to play it using Roxio or whatever, it has been out of sync but not when I save it using Video Redo.

Thanks for the info Wingwiper. It sounds as though we have found a weakness in the Roxio software suite. The only solutions I have seen are using other brands of software.

I won't be buying Roxio EZMC 10 unless I can be assured that this is fixed.

Idaho Hick

Thanks for the info Wingwiper. It sounds as though we have found a weakness in the Roxio software suite. The only solutions I have seen are using other brands of software.

Idaho Hick

In all fairness I should also add, that this subject was discussed in another thread and was told that the fix came with version 9. I have had many versions and have not honestly tried it using Roxio 9 since I purchased Video Redo. I will do it again in a few days and see if version 9 syncs the audio.

I will say that one thing I did have a Major problem with when I tried using Roxio to copy the VOB file and then save as mpeg, was my video was even out of sync. I would be watching my daughter and if I tried to advance, suddenly something at the end of the file would apear near the begining. It seemed I could not hold and drag advance precisely. If I played it in Real Time, it seemed to be ok except for audio sync. A couple of times when I tried I was NOT even able to ge tthe audio at all, I got a perfect video and no audio at all.When that happen is when I bought Video Redo and have not given Roxio a fair chance again since ver 7.5 and 8, so I may be alittle out of order and will give it a try with 9 and post results in a few days.

Idaho Hick

Its not only Roxio that has the audio/video sync problem. Do a google search and you will see that other products (Ulead, Nero, Pinnacle, etc) also have the same problem.

Archived