Installation/Uninstallation Issue

Ronward

Question

I installed the upgrade over version 9 and during the installation it warned before, removing Sonic CinePlayer decoder 4.1 & Roxio Media Experience 3.5 with another which I did not note.

This sort of upgrade installation is becoming to common from my experience and retains masses of junk and rubbish on hard drives.

Also from experience it also creates problems when you uninstall the previous version after updating as it quite often damages or removes links in commonly used programs or in the update.

Roxio has altered my system some where so that I cannot update Nero. Even when unistalling all known Roxio & Sonic software traces are left in the Registry which cannot be repaired by 'Registry mechnic' as it is read as inuse and refers to directories that I was advised to delete by Roxio.

5 answers to this question

1. The problem is I now have two versions on my hard drive as the upgrade did not remove version 9 but stated it had to be present. I do not want 2 versions installed!!

2. If I uninstall version 9 will it affect version 10 installation?

3. Am unable to upgrade another Media programme because Roxio has/is preventing it, even though I tried after uninstalling all the Roxio products.

4. Version 8 has left a load of Registry entries that cannot be repaired using Registry Mechanic some examples follow (total of about 40+) after it was un-installed. The technical support (Registry mechanic) say the reason why it will not remove them is because it reads the entries as active.

c:\program files\roxio\easy media creator 8\photosuite\photosuite8.exe

c:\program files\common files\roxio shared\sharedcom8\roxwizardlauncher.exe

Can I remove by manually editing the registry as they appear to refer to directories etc that no longer exist?

I actually didn't offer any advice. Just forum maintenance is all I did. While we are on the topic though, I am a bit confused as to your exact issue. What exactly is your symptom?

1. The problem is I now have two versions on my hard drive as the upgrade did not remove version 9 but stated it had to be present. I do not want 2 versions installed!!

2. If I uninstall version 9 will it affect version 10 installation?

3. Am unable to upgrade another Media programme because Roxio has/is preventing it, even though I tried after uninstalling all the Roxio products.

4. Version 8 has left a load of Registry entries that cannot be repaired using Registry Mechanic some examples follow (total of about 40+) after it was un-installed. The technical support (Registry mechanic) say the reason why it will not remove them is because it reads the entries as active.

c:\program files\roxio\easy media creator 8\photosuite\photosuite8.exe

c:\program files\common files\roxio shared\sharedcom8\roxwizardlauncher.exe

Can I remove by manually editing the registry as they appear to refer to directories etc that no longer exist?

1. What makes you think EMC 10 would uninstall EMC 9. It doesn't. If you want it uninstalled, you have to do it via Add/Remove Programs, just like any other software.

2. It should not affect EMC 10.

3. I have never heard of that happening with any software. Do you get some message that says Roxio is blocking the installation of the other software?

4. First check to see if EMC 8 is still listed in Add/Remove Programs. If it is, uninstall it there. If not, use the Microsoft Cleanup Utility, and then remove the entries manually.

Archived