• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

mindy01

NTLDR is missing after installing EMC 10

Question

Bought EMC 10 when I got the upgrade email, through the download service. Installed it no problem and began to poke around a bit. No issues. Then came back yesterday and noticed that nothing was working from the "web" style front-page. When I tried to click on the caputure video, nothing happend. Other links did not work as well and some threw up error messages. Decided to reinstall again. After the rebott, my Windows XP wouldn't come up, left with a message of "NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart" at a black screen. Could not get around this, had to google search, get a file, reboot from floppy, etc. Whole workaround. Did a system restore back before EMC 10 and everything was fine. Tried install again. Rebot machine and NTLDR gone again. Finally got back to XP and got rid of EMC 10, went back and reinstalled EMC 9. I am asking for refund of EMC 10.

Edited by Tom at Roxio

219 answers to this question

Actually, that's what he does say

"The laptop drive is 90% used."

NOT the MFT but the drive

Thanks for your excellent suggestions. I have posted several times here, so will save the space by not repeating it now. I have already done most of what you suggested, though. The files are indeed gone.

I feel reasonably confident at this point in saying that even though the files in c:\ are being deleted it is not the result of an mft issue. There is some other reason that the files are being deleted.

Why?

If the fragmented mft combined with a full disk was the problem then you would see the ntldr file (and the other boot files) in c:\ even though you were getting the ntldr missing error. This is because the missing ntldr problem described in the MS article occurs when the a re-arrangement of the mft index records occurs due to the addition of files and pushes the ntldr file indexes past the 1st mft segment into the second index fragment of the mft. The files are not deleted they are still present in the mft and can be seen in the root folder C:\ as long as windows (or some other os) is running. The missing ntldr occurs because once this happens the boot loader itself (not the windows os) cannot see the ntldr file in the second segment or beyond. The boot loader is only able to locate the ntldr if it is in the 1st segment. Thus the missing ntldr.

Since this is fixed in SP2 either MS tweaked the boot loader or they did something to insure the ntldr never gets into the second segment....whatever.

So we need to look at something else...mft is not the problem in my opinion.

Sorry to have muddied the waters with the 90% full hard drive. Yes, it does run slowly but EMC10 works on that one.

The problem is with the main computer with large drive and large nonpfragmented MFT.

Sorry to have muddied the waters with the 90% full hard drive. Yes, it does run slowly but EMC10 works on that one.

The problem is with the main computer with large drive and large nonpfragmented MFT.

I found the problem... Tom2.. In your sig, you state your monitor is : Monitor -- BenQ FP951

This is a well know issue... That monitor will cause the Nt Loader to come up missing every time :D

J/K.... Just a little Roxio Humor.. :)

I found the problem... Tom2.. In your sig, you state your monitor is : Monitor -- BenQ FP951

This is a well know issue... That monitor will cause the Nt Loader to come up missing every time :D

:lol: Sometimes a little humor is needed to temper the frustration.

Wow, thanks.

Just got my new monitor plugged in and ntldr is certainly in the drive. Wait, didn't I load that back in after the last install?

Edited by Tom2

Another victim of EMC 10. Just when it seemed the installation was about to finish..system crashes..missing NTLDR.....after pulling my first failed hardrive out Ihave learned that I can temp swap another windows xp (sp2) bootdrive into IDE1 and copy over the NTLDR files to the crashed drive and revive the boot drive (I have duplicated the same problem 2x). I loaded the same downloaded EMC program on to another computer that has nothing but windows xp installed and there was no problem with install. My C drive has 74 GB free/ 124Gb. Windows reports that C does not need to be defrag..but will do and try another install to help the cause.

In my situation, the crash occurs right before installation finishes...would it help if we knew the installation sequence Roxio is using...if others are crashing at the same time..

Another victim of EMC 10. Just when it seemed the installation was about to finish..system crashes..missing NTLDR.....after pulling my first failed hardrive out Ihave learned that I can temp swap another windows xp (sp2) bootdrive into IDE1 and copy over the NTLDR files to the crashed drive and revive the boot drive (I have duplicated the same problem 2x). I loaded the same downloaded EMC program on to another computer that has nothing but windows xp installed and there was no problem with install. My C drive has 74 GB free/ 124Gb. Windows reports that C does not need to be defrag..but will do and try another install to help the cause.

In my situation, the crash occurs right before installation finishes...would it help if we knew the installation sequence Roxio is using...if others are crashing at the same time..

Try copying ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini back to your C:\ drive. If you are going to install EMC10 again onto that drive, copy all files in C:\ root directory not in folders into a backup folder. Install EMC10 and before re-booting, check the C:\ drive for those folders. If not there, copy them back for the backup folder then re-boot.

Edited by Tom2

Try copying ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini back to your C:\ drive. If you are going to install EMC10 again onto that drive, copy all files in C:\ root directory not in folders into a backup folder. Install EMC10 and before re-booting, check the C:\ drive for those folders. If not there, copy them back for the backup folder then re-boot.

I don't get the opportunity to check before rebooting..my system gives me the blue screen just before the installation finishes. I have had the files in the root directory and they have been deleted by the installation

I don't get the opportunity to check before rebooting..my system gives me the blue screen just before the installation finishes. I have had the files in the root directory and they have been deleted by the installation

So you are stating that the install trashed your computer?

Blue screen... Won't boot.... Get the "missing ntldr" message when you try a boot after install?

What monitor do you have?

Edited by barryware

Ooo, I thought I had problems with it. I did find a boot disk online that worked well. But your Windows disc will likely work better. Boot up with it and copy the appropriate files. You hopefully won't have to do any major changes to the hard drive. That is a novice's opinion, mind you.

As John and I mentioned our developers are looking into this. If the circumstances described in the Microsoft Knowledgebase article are the root cause, we'll do whatever we can to help avoid the problem. This is a very comprehensive software product that includes many files. Installers create temporary files, and I'm not sure what can be done to improve the way the installer operates.

Thanks

Tom

Tom.... John.....

What is happening? What have the engineers found? The thread is growing with more & more users reporting the same problem.

Edited by barryware

Ooo, I thought I had problems with it. I did find a boot disk online that worked well. But your Windows disc will likely work better. Boot up with it and copy the appropriate files. You hopefully won't have to do any major changes to the hard drive. That is a novice's opinion, mind you.

Just finished install number 3..first went and shut all other programs off..defraged drive C, went to MSCONFIG and shut down all the files possible there....install went to the point of "installing emc 10 suite.....then the blue screen, system reboots to cannot find NTLRD files. As before I can plug in another bootable drive, copy over the files and bring my C drive back, but I do now have another drive that is showing inconsistencies and is unreadable. Anyone have any other suggestions as to specific drivers that are at fault, since that is what Windows comes back and says.....caused by device driver .... Thanks

Tom.... John.....

What is happening? What have the engineers found? The thread is growing with more & more users reporting the same problem.

Hi Barryware,

Our engineers have been able to replicate the issue in-house. I haven't been able to get more details from our engineers yet... they are still investigating the circumstances that cause the problem. While the vast majority of EMC 10 customers are able to install just fine, we understand that this is a serious problem for those who encounter it. The fix for the problem is to boot with a Windows OS CD (or another boot drive), then copy the boot files back to your boot disk. I'll provide more information as soon as I have it.

Tom

Just to add to the chorus, I purchased a new Dell XPS 720 that came with EMC9 DE preinstalled. I purchased EMC10, and after installing it on my brand new box, I had the same "missing NTLDR" file problems as outlined. The good news is that Dell XPS technicians have been fantastic, but the damage apparently caused by the EMC 10 install resulted in Dell having to ship and new 500 GB drive, and I had to completely start over with my program installs. The other good news is that I'm now a pro at retrieving my NTLDR file and rebuilding my boot.ini file that is also damaged by the EMC 10 process.

I wrote Roxio support asking for guidance before trying an install of EMC 10. The response seemed off base and more trouble than it's worth.

Does anybody know if Roxio is going to fix this? Despite some of the posts I've read, the data seem solid that the problem is related to the EMC10 install process, especially when considering this was a brand new, high end Quad Core machine.

Ed

Memphis, TN

Just to add to the chorus, I purchased a new Dell XPS 720 that came with EMC9 DE preinstalled. I purchased EMC10, and after installing it on my brand new box, I had the same "missing NTLDR" file problems as outlined. The good news is that Dell XPS technicians have been fantastic, but the damage apparently caused by the EMC 10 install resulted in Dell having to ship and new 500 GB drive, and I had to completely start over with my program installs. The other good news is that I'm now a pro at retrieving my NTLDR file and rebuilding my boot.ini file that is also damaged by the EMC 10 process.

I wrote Roxio support asking for guidance before trying an install of EMC 10. The response seemed off base and more trouble than it's worth.

Does anybody know if Roxio is going to fix this? Despite some of the posts I've read, the data seem solid that the problem is related to the EMC10 install process, especially when considering this was a brand new, high end Quad Core machine.

Ed

Memphis, TN

If you look at the post just before yours you can see that Roxio has been able to duplicate these problems. As it is a known issue, I would hope something is being done to fix this but in the mean time, as you have found out, there is a workaround for this.

I had/have the same problem (missing NTLDR). After reinstalling REMC10 for the 3rd or 4th time, I chose not restart right away. Looking in the C: root directory NTLDR and NTDETECT were gone. I copied them back (from the XP disk) and had a successful reboot. Now the MPEG-2 codecs is missing or screwed up. :angry2:

Count another person in with the missing NTLDR. I upgraded from EMC9 to EMC10 and when it rebooted, several files were missing from the root of C:. I made up a floppy with NTDETECT.COM, ntldr and boot.ini and was able to boot using that. I then did an undelete from the recycle bin of the deleted files and am back in business. I have never had that happen before and it was the first reboot after installing EMC10, so it must be from that.

Although Windows is back, I am having a problem running EMC10. I'll put that in another post to not mix it up with this thread.

Stan

Can't return my EMC 10 to BestBuy (love BestBuy btw, great return policy just can't return software). So, wonder if Roxio is going to get a fix for this other than the rather detailed process outlined?

Despite all my video work having been created using earlier versions of MyDVD, any other recommendations for video editing software? May have to check out Pinnacle again :-)

Ed

Experienced same ntldr missing. Even after copying the necessary files to c:, corrupted MBR never could be repaired.

On 2nd computer (Dell XP), the install had to be put on a network drive, copied to my computer and install went ok. However, both CD-rom drives now fail to read ANY disk at all.

Creative Suite 10 has too many install bugs and should be avoided.

Experienced same ntldr missing. Even after copying the necessary files to c:, corrupted MBR never could be repaired.

On 2nd computer (Dell XP), the install had to be put on a network drive, copied to my computer and install went ok. However, both CD-rom drives now fail to read ANY disk at all.

Creative Suite 10 has too many install bugs and should be avoided.

The non-recognition of the optical drives is an MS problem. Try the pxengine patch, and see if it works for you.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=4195

That article refers to the problem AFTER you REMOVE a CD/DVD recording program. Not when a program is INSTALLED.

Below compliments of the KB article...

Symptoms of the problem

In Microsoft Windows XP, after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program, or after you remove a different program

You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"

SUMMARY

After you remove a program from your computer, you can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive successfully. The CD drive or the DVD drive does not appear. Or, you receive an error message when you try to access the drive. This article contains two methods to resolve this problem. One of the methods requires that you manually modify the Windows registry to remove the UpperFilters registry entry and the LowerFilters registry entry. You must restart the computer after you follow the steps in this article.