• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

NTLDR is missing after installing EMC 10

mindy01

Question

Bought EMC 10 when I got the upgrade email, through the download service. Installed it no problem and began to poke around a bit. No issues. Then came back yesterday and noticed that nothing was working from the "web" style front-page. When I tried to click on the caputure video, nothing happend. Other links did not work as well and some threw up error messages. Decided to reinstall again. After the rebott, my Windows XP wouldn't come up, left with a message of "NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart" at a black screen. Could not get around this, had to google search, get a file, reboot from floppy, etc. Whole workaround. Did a system restore back before EMC 10 and everything was fine. Tried install again. Rebot machine and NTLDR gone again. Finally got back to XP and got rid of EMC 10, went back and reinstalled EMC 9. I am asking for refund of EMC 10.

• Answers 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the risk of the obvious - did you stay offline during the install of XP? While you are doing that, the system is wide open for a virus as there is no firewall working.

There is nothing in EMC 10 that will affect the boot sequence so the only inference I can draw is that you have picked up a virus or a trojan at some stage - is your a/v software fully up to date and active?

Sorry to have muddied the waters with the 90% full hard drive. Yes, it does run slowly but EMC10 works on that one.

The problem is with the main computer with large drive and large nonpfragmented MFT.

I found the problem... Tom2.. In your sig, you state your monitor is : Monitor -- BenQ FP951

This is a well know issue... That monitor will cause the Nt Loader to come up missing every time :D

J/K.... Just a little Roxio Humor.. :)

At the risk of the obvious - did you stay offline during the install of XP? While you are doing that, the system is wide open for a virus as there is no firewall working.

There is nothing in EMC 10 that will affect the boot sequence so the only inference I can draw is that you have picked up a virus or a trojan at some stage - is your a/v software fully up to date and active?

A/V software fully up to date and active. I wasn't actually installing XP. When I reinstalled EMC 10, and had to do the reboot, that's when I got the NTLDR IS MISSING message, right after the install and required reboot for EMC 10.

If NTLDR is missing - the best thing you can do is reformat and re-install XP - that is a serious error (it's the boot loader)

But, I wills ay it again 0- there is nothing in any EMC suite or any other app that will touch the boot section of the drive. Something else has caused it

I also just resently purchased EMC10. I have the CDs and installed three days go. After install, the restart message came up. I restarted the computer and during the shut down process I got some strange errors. The system timed out the errors and restarted. I then got the NTLDR error as reported here. Safe Mode does not work, so I could not remove EMC10. I have never had any problems booting until this time so there must be a relationship with EMC10 and XP or some other installed software. The only other major software installed is Symantec's Norton Utility Suite. I searched the internet for this problem and found a "workaround" that appears to work. It loads a boot.in, ntdetect.com and ntldr in the root directory. I hope someone soon finds a solution.

One other note. Is it normal for the "command window" to be part of the process for the install. That is, when reading the information from the disk, it is done via the "command window" and not a GUI interface. Once the GUI appears starting with selection the language.

From the second post in this thread:

"There is nothing in EMC 10 that will affect the boot sequence so the only inference I can draw is that you have picked up a virus or a trojan at some stage - is your a/v software fully up to date and active?"

You might want to try the things already suggested.

I too got the ntldr missing error after installing two different times. This is DEFINATELY related to the installation of Roxio EMC 10. PLEASE does anyone have a solution other than saying it can't be EMC10?

I am just curious, but do you have on your "C" drive a "boot.ini" file ? if so what does it read ? Sometimes if the required files are not present on your computer, it will revert to the boot.ini file to continue.

The problem might be that you are missing some other file/s besides the ntldr. (NT Loader).

Frank...

I found the problem... Tom2.. In your sig, you state your monitor is : Monitor -- BenQ FP951

This is a well know issue... That monitor will cause the Nt Loader to come up missing every time :D

J/K.... Just a little Roxio Humor.. :)

:lol: Sometimes a little humor is needed to temper the frustration.

I don't think anyone hates you at all. You, outside an occasional rant, have tried to help folks.

Thanks Gramps... Ok... Now you are making me misty :)

Thanks though.... I try even though I don't use the software on a daily basis so my resources are a bit limited in regards to tips. In this case (topic of the thread), you do not have to be an experienced user of the suite to realize that there may be a problem.

But in regards to the topic of this thread.. I believe Roxio has a problem. It has been stated that they will research it and report back.

With that said, we will all have to wait & see.

I hear you... However... Let there be no mistake about it. Most of the "frequent posters" or you may want to call them "Guru's", pretty much hate me.

I keep my posts clean, try to contribute, and except for a couple of posts I can remember, I try not to interject opinion. I try to state facts (as I see them or my experience with the suite). That may be why I have not been "banned" from the site just yet. A few of my posts have been deleted though.

However... Tomorrow is another day and you never know what may happen.

I got on your case because your post was not at all constructive. Not quite a rant, but had nothing to offer to the subject.

This is / was a good thread. I am looking forward to seeing what will happen. Some say the Roxio is not to blame for necessary boot files coming up missing after an install.

Maybe... Maybe there are circumstances that exist on the users computer that the install "pushes things over the edge". Sorta link a rock on the edge of a cliff. Maybe it will go over the edge, maybe not.

Because users have reported that the problem is repeatable, I believe the suite contributes but may not be the sole cause. (That was BS.... Just trying to be nice)

So... We will see what happens. Like an alcoholic, first you have to admit you have a problem (that was an opinion).

I don't hate anyone on these forums as I don't even know them. Maybe after I got to know you I might hate you :P (j/k). I've seen some helpful posts by you. Just because you may disagree with a person or group doesn't mean you're not welcome here. It's those that spend every waking moment spitting in the wind that I wouldn't miss.

I had also received that error message on my system and my system is clean w/ norton 360, which I check for updates daily and run the program (virus &spyware/optimizer/backup and Phishing 2X a week) I also have two other programs (see below) for spyware/adware

I don't hate anyone on these forums as I don't even know them. Maybe after I got to know you I might hate you :P (j/k). I've seen some helpful posts by you. Just because you may disagree with a person or group doesn't mean you're not welcome here. It's those that spend every waking moment spitting in the wind that I wouldn't miss.

Thanks... That did it... Now I am going to cry :wub:

I had also received that error message on my system and my system is clean w/ norton 360, which I check for updates daily and run the program (virus &spyware/optimizer/backup and Phishing 2X a week) I also have two other programs (see below) for spyware/adware

Does the problem persist or has it gone away? If it did go away, do you know what was done to resolve it?

Mindy01 ...

You don't have a virus and there is probably nothing wrong with your hard disk.

I first had this problem when installing/uninstalling roxio 6 some time ago on a brand new OS installation. Prior to installing Roxio 6 I had re-assigned some of my drive letters and after installing Roxio they were changed back. I changed them again (big mistake) and then applied a bunch of update/patches to the roxio. The drive letters were again changed back. So again I changed them back to what I wanted them to be. It turned out roxio would not recognize either of my cd/dvd drives so I had to uninstall it anyhow. That's when things blew up. I could still boot but windows didn't show some drives as having letters so they would not show up in windows explorer. When I tried to assign letters to them (see item 3 below) I could not. They had become unassigned. No letter associated with them. I re-installed at that point and picked up roxio 8.

Here is some history.

Several MS OS's back (and starting with MS DOS) drives were assigned letters based on specific criteria.

Check the "Order of assignment" section in this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_letter_assignment

The drives are still assigned that way even when installing XP.

There are a number ways drive letters might "not" be assigned that way. Here are a few.

1. If you have two disks in your system at installation and you choose to install on the second one instead of the first and if both are unpartitioned or unformatted at the time (so they don't have a drive letter assigned to them yet). In this case the second drive will become C: and the first D:

2. IF you have one disk and partition it into two disks the primary partition will be C: and the next one will be D:. If you add another disk it will be E: in this scenario where as if you had both disks installed at the time of installation Disk1 partition 1 would be C: and disk2 would be D: and Disk1 partition 2 would be E:. You get the idea.

3. IF you change your drive letters manually. Without going into why, the need to re-assign drive letters was implimented several OS ago and now the user can change their letters through Control panel->administrative tools->computer management->storage->disk management then select a drive on the right and right click-> change drive letters and paths. A box pops up and one thing is shows you is the currently assigned letter for that drive and you can change it here too.

What that all has to do with Roxio...

This info regarding drive assignments can also be damaged or the drive(s) can become "unassigned" (another form of damaged). This doesn't affect the info on the drives but what happens is the OS no longer understands which one is which so it cannot boot. This is what is going on here with roxio.

I do not know why Roxio does this but for whatever reason Roxio during the install process re-assigns the drive letters using the order described in that article above. Most people never realize this happens because the drive order stays the same as how it already was. Some of us though who have our drives assigned differently for whatever reason can run smack into this problem. Now then this is an eduguess but I "believe" that as long as Roxio is installed you are alright but it's when you uninstall that this problem can crop up. Don't know if it always happens or if there are other criteria involved that affect it or what. That's about as much as I know about it.

[Edit] As an after thought here I also "beleive" it could happen after the install but before uninstalling if your C: drive is not your the first disk in the system like in scenario 1 above or if you have a zip disk on the system with your hard disk during the initial windows install (then the zip will be considered the 1st disk according to MS even though you can't install to it.). In those cases after roxio re-assigns the drive letters your C: drive won't be C: any longer which would also cause the missing ntldr error after rebooting

Hi jd91651,

This is an interesting theory... worth investigating. It would be helpful if anyone who has experienced the problem could let us know if they have multiple hard drives on their system.

In the meantime I've passed this feedback along to our engineers.

Thanks

Tom

Note to others:

the other hard drive(s) might not be IN your system. They could be a usb drive that was attached when installing or an mp3 player or flash drive in some cases.

a. XP SP2

b. not sure how many files were in C:\ root the first time, but know that the next 4 times there were only 3 files

c. no format, just an install

So, since you have xp sp2 but didn't format we need to know this if you know it.

Was your original install of XP done from an xp cd with no service pack or XP with service pack 1.

It will say on the cd. Either would mean that sp2 was installed later via an update and would

also mean that even though you now have sp2 your disk is still vulnerable to the mft problem.

again from the MS article:

"Note If you install the Windows XP service pack or the Windows 2000 service pack, you will not resolve problems with an existing volume. You must run the utility to update the bootcode separately. The service pack will only write the correct bootcode for new volumes."

Also, from reports it seems that ntldr file was not present on the drive. In case of fragmented MFT it would be normally visible.

a_t

Agreed and another reason that this may be the wrong angle just as my original postings seem to be now too but let's see how it pans out.

I quoted my previous note to this thread since it's now way back. I seem to have had the worst experience of anyone. After what happened below, and following some of the more reasonable advice (I found it REALLY helpful for someone to keep posting that they've seen this on machines without EMC 10, so therefore this can't be caused by EMC 10. . . great logic!)

I emailed Roxio support about 12 days ago asking for help and a refund. . . they have yet to reply! The latest is that I've had to take my hard disk to a repair facility to try to recover the data on it. My tries at reinstalling Windows XP led to error messages that the file system on my hard disk was not recognized. Wish me luck retrieving the data. Estimate for data recovery: $1,800 plus the cost of a new hard drive.

Sandy

I had exactly the same situation when "upgrading" from 9 to 10. Install worked initially, then various components wouldn't load so, as I've learned to do by using EMC 9, I uninstalled and reinstalled. Now my system won't boot and gives the Can't find NTLDR error when it tries. I went to the web and tried the fixes that are there, and they won't work on my system. Apparently EMC 10 renamed by boot drive at it can't be found. If I try to roload the operating system, it says it can't find a boot partition and asks if I want to create one. I assume I shouldn't if I don't want to lose all my precious files. When I do the Windows XP Recovery routine, it says my root drive is drive J: (used to be C:) and my second hard disc (used to be D:) is C:. All the directories are visible in the MSDOS mode of Recovery, but none of the files are accessible. They all say access denied when I try to open their directories (Rocovery asks for Administrator password, which I entered).

Only advice the IS people can give me is to buy a new system and install the hard drives on the new system so I can save all my data files. Roxio should pay for my new system as well as refund my upgrade cost of for EMC 10. I expect to see a lot more of this issue in the near future from other users.

Sandy

Note to others:

the other hard drive(s) might not be IN your system. They could be a usb drive that was attached when installing or an mp3 player or flash drive in some cases.

If you let me know how to monitor the loading, I would be happy to do it again since it seems to be consistant on my setup.

I two was a tester on EMC10 and i have to say that the issue NEVER showed on my many test system that I and (i can say Many others) all used, as to the patch , how are you ment to know what it is for or what it fix's until they list it , as the patch was sent as an online update first and many or should i say most got it that way.

all i can say is "i to dont know why the issue started WELL after the beta and CA testing times, and i can say we tested it with everything, even Beta releases of the Vista SP1 and the XP SP3, it NEVER showed in all those tests, but there must have been some thing in relation to MS or a form of patch sent via the MS updates, as not all of us have got the NTLDR issue (that's probily becouse we all turn off auto updates)

any how , blame this or blame that , i dont know why it started , im just glad there is a fix for it.

Hey! I haven't had any problems with the install. I was just making a comment. I used the on-lin update too. But there is a place in their update module where they could have given a little info on what it was meant to fix. That's all I was attempting (poorly, I guess) to state. :rolleyes:

When you said you downloaded two files, that is correct - however, a lot of posters here say they 'downloaded' when they actually installed from a disc :lol:

The retail version is one disc - but the download was split in two to (supposedly) make it easier to get

... for whatever reason Roxio during the install process re-assigns the drive letters using the order described in that article above.

Hi jd91651,

This is an interesting theory... worth investigating. It would be helpful if anyone who has experienced the problem could let us know if they have multiple hard drives on their system.

In the meantime I've passed this feedback along to our engineers.

Thanks

Tom

Hi everyone,

In an effort to keep the conversation productive I've edited one post, deleted a bunch of off topic posts and renamed the topic. Please remember that the topic is "NTLDR missing after install".

We have a lot of smart, passionate people contributing to this thread. Let's work together to get the facts and get to the bottom of this issue, OK? The more facts the better. Ideally, we need enough facts that we can reliably reproduce the problem. If we can reproduce the problem at Roxio we can fix it. So far we haven't been able to reproduce it.

The Microsoft Knowledgebase Article that Daithi (gi7omy) pointed out seems helpful. Could it be that this only occurs on systems that have a highly fragmented Master File Table? Could MFT defragmenting help prevent the problem? Keep in mind that the built-in defragmenter on Windows XP does not defragment the Master File Table... so you would have to use a 3rd party utility that can do this if you want to defragment your MFT. A brute-force method of reducing the size of your MFT is to delete files from the drive. Perhaps someone who has experienced the issue could remove as many files as possible (back them up to CD, DVD, or an external drive), then try installing EMC 10 again.

To be clear - Easy Media Creator's installer doesn't change drive letters.

As John and I mentioned our developers are looking into this. If the circumstances described in the Microsoft Knowledgebase article are the root cause, we'll do whatever we can to help avoid the problem. This is a very comprehensive software product that includes many files. Installers create temporary files, and I'm not sure what can be done to improve the way the installer operates.

Thanks

Tom

Archived