• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

NTLDR is missing after installing EMC 10

mindy01

Question

Bought EMC 10 when I got the upgrade email, through the download service. Installed it no problem and began to poke around a bit. No issues. Then came back yesterday and noticed that nothing was working from the "web" style front-page. When I tried to click on the caputure video, nothing happend. Other links did not work as well and some threw up error messages. Decided to reinstall again. After the rebott, my Windows XP wouldn't come up, left with a message of "NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart" at a black screen. Could not get around this, had to google search, get a file, reboot from floppy, etc. Whole workaround. Did a system restore back before EMC 10 and everything was fine. Tried install again. Rebot machine and NTLDR gone again. Finally got back to XP and got rid of EMC 10, went back and reinstalled EMC 9. I am asking for refund of EMC 10.

• Answers 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

219 answers to this question

OK. Last night I decided to follow some more of the helpful hints I found here.

Spent several hours of fun. Closed out all but keyboard and mouse with msconfig. Followed all of the directions for the clean install. Deleted all references to Roxio and Sonic. Re-installed Roxio (number 6 or 7 times now) copied back my boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect which were again erased, then booted with almost everything still closed by msconfig.

Started Roxio and lo and behold it seemed to be working at first. Tried to bring up a few functions, then hit a wall at VideoWave which shut down. Have to go to work and will try some of the other functions later. Still doesn't seem to be right.

By my rough estimate, I have now spent 12 to 15 hours with this and feel that I am beta testing a program for which I paid good money. I am still waiting to hear back from "support" after sending them my logged files.

Above was questioned about what was in the boot.ini:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

I am not sure what other files were wiped from the C drive other than boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect as these are necessary to boot.

Is there an easy way to list my computer components for the signature?

This thread has been open for 24 days now. It seems that the issue with NTLDRs suddenly going missing could have been quickly resolved if someone from Roxio had stated 'we do not rename drive letters'. I don't think that this is too much to ask.

Bray/Bill................... I've got the exact same question as you. I just built my new machine, as listed in my sig. I built to these specs specificly to use Roxio to do a project I work on each spring.

Since I have put every scrap of software on this machine, there is no evidence of Roxio anywhere on it.

Roxio............. will this be a nice simple installation on my brand new machine? Please?

Actually everybody is so convinced this just HAS to be Roxio (even tho I've seen it on other machines) that nobody seems to have bothered checking anywhere else.

A very interesting MS KB article here

"...This problem may occur if the MFT root folder is severely fragmented. If the MFT root folder contains many files, the MFT may become so fragmented that an additional allocation index is created. Because files are mapped alphabetically in the allocation indexes, the NTLDR file may be pushed to the second allocation index...."

Also this board is worth looking at too

This explanation is interesting in light of earlier posts that ppl had downloaded the install and in light of a previous post that suggested the root folder might be getting wiped out when Roxio cleans up files.

BUT

unfortunately this would NOT account for a number of ppl who have already posted in the thread (including myself) that they did a re-install or new install and had the problem. The MFT isn't going to be fragmented yet in those scenarios. Particularly if the install was done from cd.

It therefore seems unlikely to be the cause or at least the cause by itself.

Regardless, Unpacking the files to the root dir for the downloaded isntaller to do the install might be worth an experimental try by the roxio engs.

Last... the point isn't whether roxio is doing it or not... the point is that whatever is causing it, a roxio install has just taken place when it occurred. Assuming roxio is NOT directly causing it then that means that at the very least the roxio install process is not detecting a user setup scenario that could cause problems if it continues the install. Since business and reputation are at risk just by association I'm certain they would be happy to find the problem and a solution.

[Edit] actually after thinking about this I would have a really hard time believing that engs. as talented as the ppl who created an application as complex as this one and made it all work together would actually unpack it into the root dir to begin with. They would use user %temp% or create a folder themselves.

(I found it REALLY helpful for someone to keep posting that they've seen this on machines without EMC 10, so therefore this can't be caused by EMC 10. . . great logic!)

Sandy

It's a shade more logical than blaming one app out of all the stuff on your drive for the problem - because it happened after you installed one partuicular app is following the illogic of 'post hoc ergo propter hoc' That is untrue in almost all cases.

I repeat what I said before - this particular fault has started occurring comparatively recently and is happening on machines which do NOT have EMC installed. I can sympathise with you on data loss (and if you'd asked about data recovery, I could have given you pointers to how it could be done without paying through the nose for it).

Tom - go to 'My Controls' when you log on and scroll down on the left and you will see a link 'Edit Signature'

I have had problems with EMC 10 running at all. Clicked on the shortcut and nothing happened. Went to programs and clicked on EMC10 and then on individual components and nothing happened.

Decided to unstall and re-install.

Uninstalled EMC10 and all components.

Ran CCCleaner, RegCure, Registry Mechanic and Norton Systemworks.

Ran msconfig and stopped all programs except MS's and keyboard/mouse.

Re-installed EMC10. Prior to restart, checked the C:\ drive and sure enough, boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect were missing. Copied them back to the C:\ drive prior to closing down for restart. (I previously noted this problem, even though "it can't happen", it does every time the install runs.)

On restart, both previously mentioned error messages came up.

Now, seems that at least a few of the components are working.

So, the question still remains as to why EMC10 install removes important files and how to fix it properly so there are no error messages.

To be clear - Easy Media Creator's installer doesn't change drive letters.

Hmm then something happened to me in XP during the install of roxio that can trigger this drive letter switch.

Now in fairness I applied my experience with 6 to mindi's problem in 10 but the drive letters were

reassigned twice on me. Once during the 1st install from cd. I changed them back then a second time during

the isntallation of downloaded patches. I already said all that in my 1st post though...

...Well ok then maybe this angle may be the wrong track to follow...

If you let me know how to monitor the loading, I would be happy to do it again since it seems to be consistant on my setup.

Sorry for the confusion. My point was just to clarify Tom's post that asked for ppl to post whether or not they had multiple drives IN their system.

I hope this doesn't muddy the waters of what already has been suggested, but this site has a lot of good information regarding the "missing ntldr" problem. For those that have had this problem, you might want to look through this article of information to see if any of the possible reasons could be your case.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

My suggestion is that this problem will definitely get resolved if all facts are presented.

Frank...

That is the same update manager that was initially installed on one of my rigs by Corel. Roxio does not replace it if it exists, just adds additional programs to check for updates.

Well I got this from Roxio. :( Corel has never been on this machine. :) Look what software it wants to update.. :o

updatemanager.png

cd

Experienced same ntldr missing. Even after copying the necessary files to c:, corrupted MBR never could be repaired.

On 2nd computer (Dell XP), the install had to be put on a network drive, copied to my computer and install went ok. However, both CD-rom drives now fail to read ANY disk at all.

Creative Suite 10 has too many install bugs and should be avoided.

Mine says the same thing with additional entries, Corel being one of them.

Jean, I thought it came from V8, it did. I never had it or the icon in control panel before the install of V8. That's why I took and kept the screen shot, filed in the Roxio garbage folder. :)

Roxio_Garbage2.jpg

cd

Just an interesting note that I don't think has anything to do w/WMC10.

I did a firmware update on my Sony DVD RW and the drive letter was re-assigned. It has not affected performance.

I will plan to move what files I can to another drive and then try a re-install and see if the missing file issue continues.

Actually it shouldn't be visible at all - it should have the hidden, read-only and system flags set

The only way it could be seen from a command prompt is by using attrib c:\ntldr.*

Unless you have your folder options set to show hidden & system files as I do.

Sorry... That is from the GUI.. Your right about the attrib command.

You can change the attributes by typing "attrib c:\ntldr -s -r -h" at the command prompt.

Reading this thread through again, it is clear that the various "experts" have completely missed the point.

1. "NTLDR missing" is a symptom, not a root cause.

2. The root cause is that EMC10 Reinstallation deletes all files in the root (C:\) directory. The only "survivor" is pagefile.sys, which is protected by the Operating System.

Having experienced this myself, it is 100% repeatable every time EMC10 is reinstalled on my PC - and I've had to do it a lot of times.

I hope this doesn't muddy the waters of what already has been suggested, but this site has a lot of good information regarding the "missing ntldr" problem. For those that have had this problem, you might want to look through this article of information to see if any of the possible reasons could be your case.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

My suggestion is that this problem will definitely get resolved if all facts are presented.

Frank...

OK. You want facts. I have WinXP Pro SP2 running EMC9. I decide to update to ECM10. I uninstall ECM9, install ECM10. Seems to install till restart. It then goes NTLDR missing etc. I repair. PC restarts ok. ECM10 opens. Two days later ECM10 goes into beached whale syndrome (icon refuses to respond, shortcut refuses to respond, exe refuses to respond). I uninstall. I do a clean install. NTDLR goes missing on restart. I repair. ECM10 seems to work. Two days later goes into beached whale syndrome. I give up. Software not working, system compromised, I uninstall, delete everything Roxio + Sonic. I reinstall ECM9. This seems to work. I post a query asking for help and advice on the so-called Roxio community site. I get a lot of rubbish saying it's all Bill Gates's fault and those good people at Roxio are fixing it... sometime in the murky future. In the meantime I'm a considerable amount of money poorer, and have a PC that's undermined by non-functioning software. What does Roxio do? It deletes my post and related correspondence. Some community.

A.

Experienced same ntldr missing. Even after copying the necessary files to c:, corrupted MBR never could be repaired.

On 2nd computer (Dell XP), the install had to be put on a network drive, copied to my computer and install went ok. However, both CD-rom drives now fail to read ANY disk at all.

Creative Suite 10 has too many install bugs and should be avoided.

The non-recognition of the optical drives is an MS problem. Try the pxengine patch, and see if it works for you.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=4195

Archived