• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 29 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

NTLDR is missing after installing EMC 10

mindy01

Question

Bought EMC 10 when I got the upgrade email, through the download service. Installed it no problem and began to poke around a bit. No issues. Then came back yesterday and noticed that nothing was working from the "web" style front-page. When I tried to click on the caputure video, nothing happend. Other links did not work as well and some threw up error messages. Decided to reinstall again. After the rebott, my Windows XP wouldn't come up, left with a message of "NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart" at a black screen. Could not get around this, had to google search, get a file, reboot from floppy, etc. Whole workaround. Did a system restore back before EMC 10 and everything was fine. Tried install again. Rebot machine and NTLDR gone again. Finally got back to XP and got rid of EMC 10, went back and reinstalled EMC 9. I am asking for refund of EMC 10.

• Answers 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

219 answers to this question

Ooo, I thought I had problems with it. I did find a boot disk online that worked well. But your Windows disc will likely work better. Boot up with it and copy the appropriate files. You hopefully won't have to do any major changes to the hard drive. That is a novice's opinion, mind you.

Just finished install number 3..first went and shut all other programs off..defraged drive C, went to MSCONFIG and shut down all the files possible there....install went to the point of "installing emc 10 suite.....then the blue screen, system reboots to cannot find NTLRD files. As before I can plug in another bootable drive, copy over the files and bring my C drive back, but I do now have another drive that is showing inconsistencies and is unreadable. Anyone have any other suggestions as to specific drivers that are at fault, since that is what Windows comes back and says.....caused by device driver .... Thanks

I continue to be amazed at how some people here have their heads in the sand. Just because this file disappearance issue does not happen to everyone, don't assume that it is not happening to some. Roxio has already admitted that they know of the problem and are working on a fix.

On my particular system and set of software environments, this problem has been 100% reproducible for the first installation and every re-installation after. This has been recounted by me and others several times on this thread. Why would Walt and others be so adamant that it can't happen when some of us seem to have nothing better to do than spend countless hours repairing our systems and trying to find answers?

Walt, go back and read all of these and tell me that all of us are ridiculous. If anything, your stance by not listening is the ridiculous one. Don't be so pompous and listen to what others are saying. I believe that we are all here for help in improving our programs and skills.

Perhaps you should read my post again. Nowhere do I state that it does not happen or can't happen!

Just to add to the chorus, I purchased a new Dell XPS 720 that came with EMC9 DE preinstalled. I purchased EMC10, and after installing it on my brand new box, I had the same "missing NTLDR" file problems as outlined. The good news is that Dell XPS technicians have been fantastic, but the damage apparently caused by the EMC 10 install resulted in Dell having to ship and new 500 GB drive, and I had to completely start over with my program installs. The other good news is that I'm now a pro at retrieving my NTLDR file and rebuilding my boot.ini file that is also damaged by the EMC 10 process.

I wrote Roxio support asking for guidance before trying an install of EMC 10. The response seemed off base and more trouble than it's worth.

Does anybody know if Roxio is going to fix this? Despite some of the posts I've read, the data seem solid that the problem is related to the EMC10 install process, especially when considering this was a brand new, high end Quad Core machine.

Ed

Memphis, TN

If you look at the post just before yours you can see that Roxio has been able to duplicate these problems. As it is a known issue, I would hope something is being done to fix this but in the mean time, as you have found out, there is a workaround for this.

A suggestion to you, myguggi...

Unprotect the following files in your root drive:

boot.ini

ntdetect.com

ntdlr

pagefile.sys

Then reinstall EMC10, and reboot your PC.

Have a nice day.

Why would anyone do that?

Why not just delete them outright, reboot and squeal!

That is a pretty irresponsible post, maybe the moderator will delete it!

As I had done a thorough clean up before installing EMC 10 (and at which stage there was no update manager applet in control panel), I think mine was installed by EMC 10.

However, it is possible that mine comes from a failed install of Back on Track 3 Suite. During the install, it did uninstall and reinstall Update manager. Towards the end of the install the installation rolled back BOT3, but maybe left the update manager alone. (the failed BOT3 installation attempts are another story. I've given up on it now and am getting a refund). I thought I'd done yet another clean install of EMC 10 after giving up on BOT3, but maybe I just ran a repair.

The update manager files are in C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService

(also isuspm.cpl in system32 folder, which is the actual applet that appears in control panel)

Mine are version 6.0.100.54472

The manager lists the following:

Roxio Update Manager

Sonic CinePlayer Decoder Pack

Roxio Easy Media Creator 10 Suite

It doesn't really matter what the applet is called.

Well.... Seems that there is something amiss in the EMC10 install routine. there are a few reports of the files required to boot coming up missing after an install
It may appear that way, but if there REALLY was a problem with the EMC installer then every person that installed EDMC 10 would be having the exact same problem which isn't the case. I, personally, have installed and uninstalled EMC 10 many times trying to reproduce some of these problems and just has never happened. The problems I have run across were because of things I have done and not the program.

On my HP Media Center by default, the restore partition (which is the first partition) is not hidden. I renamed it myself to Z: and hid it. I haven't had any problems installing any software because of that. So partition(1) would be correct in my case.

Although I can sympathize with Sandy's loss, it also shows that she should have had a back up system in place. I have 20 yrs of genealogy work on my computer. I have backups for my backups and those copies are not stored in my home.

Would do, but right now VideoWave has me locked up and I cannot end the program. Looks like I will have to reboot. Too late tonight to deal with these problems.

I'll defrag again with your instructions and re-install and let you know.

Thanks,

Another victim of EMC 10. Just when it seemed the installation was about to finish..system crashes..missing NTLDR.....after pulling my first failed hardrive out Ihave learned that I can temp swap another windows xp (sp2) bootdrive into IDE1 and copy over the NTLDR files to the crashed drive and revive the boot drive (I have duplicated the same problem 2x). I loaded the same downloaded EMC program on to another computer that has nothing but windows xp installed and there was no problem with install. My C drive has 74 GB free/ 124Gb. Windows reports that C does not need to be defrag..but will do and try another install to help the cause.

In my situation, the crash occurs right before installation finishes...would it help if we knew the installation sequence Roxio is using...if others are crashing at the same time..

Try copying ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini back to your C:\ drive. If you are going to install EMC10 again onto that drive, copy all files in C:\ root directory not in folders into a backup folder. Install EMC10 and before re-booting, check the C:\ drive for those folders. If not there, copy them back for the backup folder then re-boot.

It may appear that way, but if there REALLY was a problem with the EMC installer then every person that installed EDMC 10 would be having the exact same problem which isn't the case. I, personally, have installed and uninstalled EMC 10 many times trying to reproduce some of these problems and just has never happened. The problems I have run across were because of things I have done and not the program.

On my HP Media Center by default, the restore partition (which is the first partition) is not hidden. I renamed it myself to Z: and hid it. I haven't had any problems installing any software because of that. So partition(1) would be correct in my case.

Although I can sympathize with Sandy's loss, it also shows that she should have had a back up system in place. I have 20 yrs of genealogy work on my computer. I have backups for my backups and those copies are not stored in my home.

If EVERY person had the same rig, drivers, hardware & software, you may have a point but everyones rig & setup are probably different.

Because there have been a few reports of the same problem, and I saw the boot.ini file, I thought it may deserve a little further investigation.

However since you have throughly investigated the problem, I guess we can rule it out. Must be a problem with the users setup and EMC has nothing to do with it.

Thanks for the tip on backups.

I ran mine today from the control panel and it just came up with a CorelDraw update....no update for EMC10 even when I try the update from the Home menu or any menu in EMC10.

The Program Update installer was set to never show me Corel updates unless I run the update manually. On my other systems without CorelDraw (or any Corel product) and EMC 9 & 10, this does not show up in my control panel.

I quoted my previous note to this thread since it's now way back. I seem to have had the worst experience of anyone. After what happened below, and following some of the more reasonable advice (I found it REALLY helpful for someone to keep posting that they've seen this on machines without EMC 10, so therefore this can't be caused by EMC 10. . . great logic!)

I emailed Roxio support about 12 days ago asking for help and a refund. . . they have yet to reply! The latest is that I've had to take my hard disk to a repair facility to try to recover the data on it. My tries at reinstalling Windows XP led to error messages that the file system on my hard disk was not recognized. Wish me luck retrieving the data. Estimate for data recovery: $1,800 plus the cost of a new hard drive.

Sandy

Before you pay to have that data recovered, if you have another drive that you can install the OS on, do that, and connect the troubled drive as a slave, and see if you can get XP to recognize it, after boot up.

BTW, $1800 is a big ripoff. If you have to have the data recovered, find somewhere else to get it done.

I have a Toshiba single 60GB Laptop centino with WinXP/sp2 that had Sonic Record Now installed on the computer by Toshiba. The new CD installation I received yesterday also made my laptop useless with the ntdlr missing after 4 hours trying to install EMC10. The only way I got everything back up and running was to slave the drive with my desktop, then replace the ntldr file. Win XP recovery would not work.

Now, I still don't have EMC10 and all my previous Sonic Record Now files are gone and no way to replace them. The new EMC10 CD install does not see ALL previous versions of Sonic or Roxio and the cleaning all previous versions and files advised by the support website won't work. The CD drive still works but the CD burner is useless. PLEASE PLEASE help us Roxio. Thank you

How do I system protect files?

You can get the cuurent attributes from Explorer, but can't set SYSTEM attribute (see below).

1. Start Explorer (hold down WINDOWS key and tap E key).

2. Under Tools menu, select FOLDER OPTIONS.

3. Select VIEW tab.

4. Midway down, select: Show hidden files and folders.

5. Go to C:\ directory

6. On Explorer menu, select VIEW.

7. Select CHOOSE DETAILS.

8. Check the ATTRIBUTES box.

9. Now explorer shows which attributes are set.

10. There are 3 files to make sure are protected properly

• NTLDR (RHS)
  • BOOT.INI ( HS)
  • NTDETECT.COM (RHS)

11. You can set the R (read only) and H (hidden) by right-clicking on the file and selecting PROPERTIES.

12: Check the boxes at the bottom of the window.

13. However, the S (system) can only be set from command window using the ATTRIB command.

Setting SYSTEM on a file:

1. Open a command prompt (Start -> Run and then enter CMD and click OK).

2. Go to root directory: cd c:\

3. Unhide the file: ATTRIB -H {filename}

4. Add SYSTEM attribute: ATTRIB +S {filename}

5. Rehide the file: ATTRIB +H {filename}

I too have received the dreaded "NTLDR is missing press any key to restart." My first download on Mozilla did not work, so I redownloaded again and did an install. The videoconvertor kept crashing, so "RoxAnn" said to reinstall, after redownloading with IE. I did this, and now my PC will not boot up. I keep getting the NTLDR is missing. I tried using the HP System Recover utility but this gets all the way through and just hangs on the Finish button.

I have a recent System Restore point in my machine. Does anyone know where I can get a file to boot up and get to the System Restore?

You can get the cuurent attributes from Explorer, but can't set SYSTEM attribute (see below).

1. Start Explorer (hold down WINDOWS key and tap E key).

2. Under Tools menu, select FOLDER OPTIONS.

3. Select VIEW tab.

4. Midway down, select: Show hidden files and folders.

5. Go to C:\ directory

6. On Explorer menu, select VIEW.

7. Select CHOOSE DETAILS.

8. Check the ATTRIBUTES box.

9. Now explorer shows which attributes are set.

10. There are 3 files to make sure are protected properly

• NTLDR (RHS)
  • BOOT.INI ( HS)
  • NTDETECT.COM (RHS)
11. You can set the R (read only) and H (hidden) by right-clicking on the file and selecting PROPERTIES.

12: Check the boxes at the bottom of the window.

13. However, the S (system) can only be set from command window using the ATTRIB command.

Setting SYSTEM on a file:

1. Open a command prompt (Start -> Run and then enter CMD and click OK).

2. Go to root directory: cd c:\

3. Unhide the file: ATTRIB -H {filename}

4. Add SYSTEM attribute: ATTRIB +S {filename}

5. Rehide the file: ATTRIB +H {filename}

MarkR,

Thank goodness that somebody understands my point!

The point is, of course, that the EMC10 reinstallation tries to delete all files in the root (C:\) directory on some, maybe all, PCs. I have lost a ton of stuff in this directory because of this installer bug, fortunately none of it important other than the system files which should have been protected but were not. I am amazed that some so-called experts cannot seem to grasp that NTDLR is only one of the files that gets deleted.

I guess that a simple fix for this would be to protect all files in the C:\ directory, although I suspect that anybody that has already seen this problem will have already lost them.

It might be instructive if those on this thread that claim not to have the problem check what else is left in their root directory. It is not impossible that all unprotected files are gone, but that they have only the system files remaining.

Thank you for the instructions, MarkR. I will ensure my PC is set that way in case I need to install EMC10 yet again.

Well.... Seems that there is something amiss in the EMC10 install routine. there are a few reports of the files required to boot coming up missing after an install

If you look at the boot.ini file above, you can see that Tom2's OS is installed on the second partition. (first partition = partition(0), not partition(1)).

Oem machines that have the OS pre-installed typically include a FAT partition of some type in which system utilities are stored. This partition is usually hidden & inactive. If you ever get on the phone with the maker of the machine, they will instruct you you to unhide the partition so you can get to the utilities. That helps phone support figure out your problem.

gi7omy... There have been posts that after the install of EMC10, users drives are re-lettered and from time to time the rig is not bootable because necessary boot files are missing.

Maybe the partition that the OS is installed on has something to do with it. Maybe someone at Roxio can check it out.

Not sure if the OP's Boot.ini file is bad barryware. I have a custom built computer and have a retail copy of XP/SP2 I installed myself and the partitions seem to be pretty much the same as the OP's file as far as "partition" is concerned. And I have no other partitions on my boot drive.

My Boot.ini file reads:

;

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating sytems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"/FASTDETECT/USEPMTIMER/NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

Frank...

That article refers to the problem AFTER you REMOVE a CD/DVD recording program. Not when a program is INSTALLED.

Below compliments of the KB article...

Symptoms of the problem

In Microsoft Windows XP, after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program, or after you remove a different program

You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"

SUMMARY

After you remove a program from your computer, you can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive successfully. The CD drive or the DVD drive does not appear. Or, you receive an error message when you try to access the drive. This article contains two methods to resolve this problem. One of the methods requires that you manually modify the Windows registry to remove the UpperFilters registry entry and the LowerFilters registry entry. You must restart the computer after you follow the steps in this article.

We're all aware that it happens - and so is Microsoft

MS issued a KB article on the 'missing NTLDR' problem so it would appear that it's not that uncommon an occurence and not limited to EMC 10

Roxio are looking into it - all I can say is that it did not appear in the beta or subsequently on any of my machines

Archived