• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

NTLDR is missing after installing EMC 10

mindy01

Question

Bought EMC 10 when I got the upgrade email, through the download service. Installed it no problem and began to poke around a bit. No issues. Then came back yesterday and noticed that nothing was working from the "web" style front-page. When I tried to click on the caputure video, nothing happend. Other links did not work as well and some threw up error messages. Decided to reinstall again. After the rebott, my Windows XP wouldn't come up, left with a message of "NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart" at a black screen. Could not get around this, had to google search, get a file, reboot from floppy, etc. Whole workaround. Did a system restore back before EMC 10 and everything was fine. Tried install again. Rebot machine and NTLDR gone again. Finally got back to XP and got rid of EMC 10, went back and reinstalled EMC 9. I am asking for refund of EMC 10.

• Answers 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for listening to the problems and taking a look into it.

I have read of an additional content file. When I did the download, there was only one file downloaded and I am not prompted to add any additional files after the install. Is there something else that should have downloaded with the file?

Is it possible that the install from CD is different from the downloaded file? Are the missing ntldr, etc only occuring with the downloaded file?

Forgot to ask if there is an easy way to copy the information of my computer setup to the signature block like many have or is it all typed in?

Depends on the size of the file downloaded whether it contains the content or not. Was it a 700+mb file or a 1.5gb file?

Not to detract from the other conversations, but I had this exact same thing happen. NTDLR missing after Roxio install. I have full virus scanners, firewall, the whole bit. Everything worked fine up until Roxio 10 install.

I uninstalled 9.

Rebooted.

Installed 10

Rebooted....or tried to, anyway. NTDLR missing

Fortunately, in my case

- I backed up all my data before install

- I use Norton Ghost.

I went back to before the Roxio 10 install. Removed 9 again, installed 10 again, this time it worked.

Whatever it is, it does not occur every time. But throw my vote on the pile that it happens at least 50% of the time for me.

Of course after it installed, it only worked for a few days, but that's another issue I'm hoping to hear back on.

Can't return my EMC 10 to BestBuy (love BestBuy btw, great return policy just can't return software). So, wonder if Roxio is going to get a fix for this other than the rather detailed process outlined?

Despite all my video work having been created using earlier versions of MyDVD, any other recommendations for video editing software? May have to check out Pinnacle again :-)

Ed

I also just resently purchased EMC10. I have the CDs and installed three days go. After install, the restart message came up. I restarted the computer and during the shut down process I got some strange errors. The system timed out the errors and restarted. I then got the NTLDR error as reported here. Safe Mode does not work, so I could not remove EMC10. I have never had any problems booting until this time so there must be a relationship with EMC10 and XP or some other installed software. The only other major software installed is Symantec's Norton Utility Suite. I searched the internet for this problem and found a "workaround" that appears to work. It loads a boot.in, ntdetect.com and ntldr in the root directory. I hope someone soon finds a solution.

One other note. Is it normal for the "command window" to be part of the process for the install. That is, when reading the information from the disk, it is done via the "command window" and not a GUI interface. Once the GUI appears starting with selection the language.

Actually everybody is so convinced this just HAS to be Roxio (even tho I've seen it on other machines) that nobody seems to have bothered checking anywhere else.

A very interesting MS KB article here

"...This problem may occur if the MFT root folder is severely fragmented. If the MFT root folder contains many files, the MFT may become so fragmented that an additional allocation index is created. Because files are mapped alphabetically in the allocation indexes, the NTLDR file may be pushed to the second allocation index...."

Also this board is worth looking at too

My EMC10 was a download. I did a complete install and have never seen Update Manager or Program Update. That was why I was confused with the instructions. Just finished a search for the word update and found nothing on my computer. The last Roxio I had was 7.

A complete install should have installed it with the downloaded EMC 10 installer. Assuming that you installed in the default locations, do you have this folder:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService?

In windows explorer, search C:\ for isuspm.* anything?

Anything under 'Roxio update manager' in add remove? if so, try highlight it, click change, click next, select repair, click next etc.

You could try extracting the contents of the EMC 10 inatallation file (useWinzip or similar). There will be a subfolder called Updatemanager_msi, in which there is UM.msi. Try right click/install on that (it may refuse to install on its own and demand you reinstall the whole of EMC 10, not sure).

In the registry, see if isuspm.cpl is referenced in the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\Extended Properties\{305CA226-D286-468e-B848-2B2E8E697B74} 2

[the long alphanumeric name may be different onyour system, but it is the subkey of \Extended properties]

and that it is not listed in the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\don't load

or in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\don't load (those keys contain reference to contol pane applets (.cpl) set not to show in control panel

And 'come on' is suggesting what - all I did was list the known facts.

If you have a problem with that, then you have a problem.

When there is a fix (which entails finding out just WHAT the cause is) it will be released. Until then running round in circles, screaming and shouting gets you absolutely nowehere

The % full of the MFT has nothing to do with the capacity of the H/D. I am actually surprised that is is only 90% full. That means that a bunch of files were deleted.

The MFT grows as needed. It is common to see it a 99% full. Without getting into anything deep, the MFT may be bigger than reported when it is created. When created, it has room to grow. There is space allocated for it even though it may not consume the entire space.

Ever see the "unmovable files" in your defrag utility... Yep.. Aside from the swap file, that is the MFT. Don't get on me as there are also some system files that can not be moved.

Some refer to it as "slack". There are several partition / format utilities that let you assign the size of the slack. Partition Magic for instance, lets you assign the amount of slack. Actually... Doing a bit of research inspired by the topic of this thread, I really didn't know what that meant. I own Partition Magic. I saw the variable, never really knew what it was. I always accepted the default. Funny thing... those help files included with the software :blink:

Once the MFT exceeds the growth limit (sort of speaking), it can continue to grow but it is no longer contiguous. The added MFT moves to another part of the disk, hence the fragmentation.

screaming and shouting gets you absolutely nowehere

First... Who is screaming & shouting? Certainly not me, at least not in this thread. :D

When there is a fix (which entails finding out just WHAT the cause is) it will be released.

So.. It sounds like you are leaning to the dark side.. AKA there may be a problem with the install routine of the suite..

Interseting.

Maybe the download version does not install this. I've installed my EMC10 download twice (and had EMC9 on prior) and I don't have this Progam Update or Update Manager on my machine either. The UpdateService directory exists and has 3 exe's and 1 dll in it. I do not have the control panel, but Roxio did install the Update Manager (found it under C:\Windows\Installer & in the Add/Remove Programs list). Now this works from inside Roxio (Help -> Check for updates), because it found and installed the update from each install that I ran.

First... Who is screaming & shouting? Certainly not me, at least not in this thread. :D

So.. It sounds like you are leaning to the dark side.. AKA there may be a problem with the install routine of the suite..

aka there coild be a problem anywhere up to and including Microsoft - what part of 'Nobody Knows' do you have difficulty grasping?

Mine is under "Program Updates" and has only the Install Shield Update Manager and Intervideo Promotion Agent. No Roxio EMC 9, unlike earlier posts that show it. Very strange; seems like a good idea to collect all program updates in one spot, but it seems to be hit or miss whether programs add themselves. It should be consistent.

I will not argue Roxio EMC is a large and complex program that has to be compatible with a wide variety of customized systems. To me, that is self evident. But EMC 10 is not where I want it to be yet. I'm following the threads; here is what I'd like to see:

- A new installer I can download that will not have the NTDLR issue. #1 top issue.

- A comprehensive uninstaller. (Thanks again, Highlander, for your help in the past)

- Compatibility--as all my other programs have--with system maintenance programs. i.e. A fix to the clickee no workee problem without any DirectX reinstalls. For those with quick tempers, notice I'm not arguing who is at fault, just that I want it fixed.

I haven't given up on Roxio EMC 10. I've just suspended it for a while. I really appreciate both

- End users who are trying to find workarounds

- Roxio popping in on occasion to explain what they are doing to fix it.

SUGGESTION FOR SONIC/ROXIO: The Roxio EMC 10 update was a bit of a surprise. It would help the community of Roxio would pre-announce to the faithful a day or two in advance, and also detail what the fix is supposed to do. There were a lot of speculative user posts after it came out.

Thanks again; please get this program up to your normally high standards. At that point, I'll take a Ziegenbach light. I'm not normally a light beer drinker, but it has a great taste I enjoy every time I'm in Texas.

I have just installed download version 10 twice, each into a virgin XP-SP2.

I couldn't find Program Update or Update Manager in my Control Panel either, although the UpdateService directory and its contents are there.

Each time I installed I ran the update service from inside Roxio like Mark did. One time I was told there were no updates. The other time it found the critical update for me.

This seems terribly "hit and miss" as to whether you get to see the update, and the KnowledgeBase article is only going to work for some customers and not the rest.

I'm not sure how this update is meant to stop EMC10 from deleting NTLDR during install, since the damage has already been done by the time you are offered the 'update' - IF you are offered the update.

Why are you so defensive about this? You are acting like you wrote the program. I am sure that you are quite a bit more knowledgeable than I, but some of us have problems with certain aspects of EMC10 that we would like to get corrected. You aren't helping with statements like this. I don't believe anyone has said that other programs could not cause computer problems. That is NOT the point. The point that you seem to continue to miss is that THIS program is causing a problem. It appears to have erased all files on the C:\ drive that were not in a folder. That is not a good thing to happen and very hard on marketing. <_<

Interesting, yes.

I did find it where Jean recommended under common files. When I clicked on it, nothing happened. I found it in Add/Delete and did the repair. Still nothing happened when I clicked on it and it does not show up in Control Panel.

Archived