• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Sonic DLA

benji

Question

Due to inadequate information on the HELP section of the Sonic DVD Homepage, I inadvertently deleted the DLA feature in the Add/Remove programs. The Sonic software came preinstalled with the Dell PC. Since deleting the DLA, the CD rewritable drive is not recognized by Sonic. I can neither make a backup, nor format a disc. Is there a way of reinstalling the DLA without going the procedure of reinstalling Windows XP. Thanks for your help

4 answers to this question

If you don't have a backup CD for restoring it, that came with your Dell, try contacting Dell.

However, firmatting CDs is the VERY WORST way to back things up - or, conversely, the VERY BEST way to permantly lose the data.

You would be better off using a Sessions-based program like Sonic's RecordNow Data Disc, or the built-in WinXP burning (if you have WinXP), or even get a Flash drive (aka Jump / Thumb / Keychain / Pen drive).

Lynn

Due to inadequate information on the HELP section of the Sonic DVD Homepage, I inadvertently deleted the DLA feature in the Add/Remove programs. The Sonic software came preinstalled with the Dell PC. Since deleting the DLA, the CD rewritable drive is not recognized by Sonic. I can neither make a backup, nor format a disc. Is there a way of reinstalling the DLA without going the procedure of reinstalling Windows XP. Thanks for your help

Lynn, thanks for your quick response...You do make a good point regarding backups. However, I still need to have the CD drive funtion.

In addtion to Sonic, my other software applications, including Quicken does not recognize the drive.

Seems to me that, until a certain point, Quicken relied on Packet-Writing for backups. That isn't a sales point for Quicken from my viewpoint.

Have you tried going into MyComputer (Right-Click) > properties > Hardware > Device Manager > click on the DVD/CD-ROM icon, choose the drive in question, right-click > uninstall, and then reboot? Windows re-detects the drive during the reboot. The next phase gets into RegEdit.

Lynn

Try going into System Propoerties/Device Manager. Find your cd drive under DVD/CD-Rom drives, highlight it, right click it and choose 'Uninstall'. Click OK, close out Device manager and reboot. Upon reboot, Windows will pick up the drive again and maybe so will Sonic.

Archived