• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Ecec5 Recognises Cd Burner, Not Dvd

stevensrw

I have the latest updates for drive support (Version "V") on Easy CD creator Platinum. OS Win XP Home SP2.

I have an LG GSA-6167B burner which is good for DVD and CD burning. I also have an old Sony CD burner installed.

When I try to burn a DVD (Single layer - I know dual layer is not supported), I have the option to select device by double clicking on the box at the bottom of the window. It sees the LG burner but it only allows me to select CD media under supported media. If it recognises the burner, why won't it let me burn music DVD's with it.

I also have Easy Media Creator 8 installed, but I find the interface too complicated and difficult to use.

I have the latest updates for drive support (Version "V") on Easy CD creator Platinum. OS Win XP Home SP2.

I have an LG GSA-6167B burner which is good for DVD and CD burning. I also have an old Sony CD burner installed.

Your GSA-6167 may be good for DVD and CD burning, but not with ECDC 5.3.5v

The highest LG GSA burner recognized by 535v is the "HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-5120D"

What is the "ID String" of your burner?

Please right click My Computer, select properties, (then hardware, if in XP), Device Manager. Find the DVD/CDROM icon, click on the + alongside to expand it and you will see an icon and text information for each CD/DVD device installed. This text is the ID String. Please quote it exactly.

When did you buy this drive?

Your GSA-6167 may be good for DVD and CD burning, but not with ECDC 5.3.5v

The highest LG GSA burner recognized by 535v is the "HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-5120D"

What is the "ID String" of your burner?

Please right click My Computer, select properties, (then hardware, if in XP), Device Manager. Find the DVD/CDROM icon, click on the + alongside to expand it and you will see an icon and text information for each CD/DVD device installed. This text is the ID String. Please quote it exactly.

When did you buy this drive?

Thanks for the prompt reply Brendon

String is HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4176B

It was bought about 3 or 4 months ago as part of a major upgrade

Richard

Hi Richard,

Okay, it's a 4176B. Sometimes vendors use a catalog number which is similar to the drive ID, but it's the drive ID that the machinery reads and that's what counts.

I'm sorry to report that the 535V drive update was published December 2004, which explains why it doesn't cover a drive from late 2005, so your drive isn't "recognized" by ECDC5 for burning DVDs.

Now, given that ECDC5 can only write DATA DVDs and not video ones, and given also that Roxio gave up trying to support ECDC5 in Windows XP-SP2, you might want to get a later version from Roxio which will do all you want. The latest version is 8.05, although I saw 7.5 for sale on eBay a couple of days ago for $7, and 7.5 is an excellent and stable version.

However if you want to get ECDC5 to recognize your drive in the meantime, that's quite easily done. We just hijack the registry entry for the 4120B.

-With Version 5.3.5.10V installed, run the registry editor (Regedit) and search for "device079" without the quotes. When you find a key called device079, hit F3 and search again. The second device079 key you come to should have this entry:-

"HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4120B,HL-DT-ST,DVDRAM GSA-4120B,DVD+-R/RW,cdrmmc.drv,178,,9"

-double-click the highlighted "device079" and an edit box will open with that entry in it. Carefully edit that so that each 4120B is changed to 4176B. If you make a mistake in the edit, just Esc out of it and start again. When you have it right, click OK to complete the edit, and then exit from the editor.

There you are. You can now write data DVDs with your drive.

I hope all this helps.

Archived