Sign in to follow this  
bkap

My DVD LE

Question

I am able to burn lots of pictures onto a DVD. AFterwards you are suppsed to "make compatible" so that other computers can read the DVD. That's when my computer goes to a blue screen and says that an error has occurred.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

:angry:

7 answers to this question

My computer goes to a blue screen with an error notice once I try to "make compatible" my DVD.

It burns my pictures just fine before hand.

I really need help. Ready to throw the whole thing out the window :blink:

My computer goes to a blue screen with an error notice once I try to "make compatible" my DVD.

It burns my pictures just fine before hand.

I really need help. Ready to throw the whole thing out the window :blink:

What version of the software do you have? Where did you get it? What do you mean when you say "make compatible"? Make compatible with what?

I have Sonic program that came with my Dell. I believe it was in 2005.

When copying pictures to a DVD you first format the disc, then drag the pictures to copy, then when finished you click on "make compatible". The explanation for that is to make the disc readable by other equipment.

Aha!

DO NOT FORMAT THE DISC. Use a BLANK blank, directly out of the box or off the spindle.

Now, is what you want to make it "compatible" with another computer, or do you want to make a Video DVD?

Lynn

Edited by lynn98109

And if I suspect that MyDVD is partof a larger suite, such as RecordNow (probably also LE, or Light Edition - the reduced Version used for OEM [Orignal Equipment Mfgr] installations).

I suspect you have either a desktop icon, or you can access the program from the start button to get the layout form to make a data disc (readable on computers).

And that gets back to my previous question - are trying to make it merely readable by other computers, or play on a DVD player?

Lynn

It's called Sonic DigitalMedia LE v7

The instructions say to use a blank disc or a DLA formatted disc. When you start it asks if you want to format the disc. I haven't noticed if it will let me not format it.

Next you drag the pictures onto it .

Last step says: Click Make Compatible to share disc with your friends.

Right now I'm just copying pictures to share and to save but I do want to burn some of my videos.

It sounds like something from a sales department that hasn't any use for the technical department.

DLA, or Drive Letter Access, is a Packet-Writing program, like Roxio's DirectCD or Drag-to-Disc, or Nero's InCD. Packet-Writing programs format a disc, and work somewhat like a floppy disc.

However, whereas floppy discs are a standard format from computer to computer, different Packet-Writing programs are not compatible with each other, and often not with different Vesions of the same program. They can be very fussy - often refusing to work without the exact same Version of the program and Oprating Sytem that wrote it - and tend to fail for any reason or none at all. Using RW media tends to aggrivate both the problems of Packet-Writing and speed up the fading out of data on the RW media even if it isn't erased.

If you do not have a Sessions-based program - there is an option to do data discs in my Sonic RecordNow Platinum 7.3 - and WindowsXP has a built-in Sessions-based program for burning CDs (you didn't give your Operating System) - I'd suggest you might want to think about what your next step would be.

Lynn

Edit - WinXP doesn't start the burn until you try to close the program. If you tell it to finish before it started, it might confuse the poor computer. I don't like WinXP, and consider myself lucky to have gotten hold of a Win2000, but that's another story.

Edited by lynn98109