• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Sony, Nec Sign Agreement On Optical Disc Drive Joint Venture

cdanteek

Interesting move as Sony is the one of the biggest backers of the Blu-ray format and NEC is one of the biggest backers of HD-DVD.

TOKYO (AFX) - Sony Corp said it and NEC Corp have signed a definitive agreement on establishing a joint venture, Sony NEC Optiarc Inc, to jointly seek business opportunities in the optical disc drive field.

Sony and NEC will spin off their respective optical disc drive businesses on April 1 and transfer them to the joint venture, which is to be established on April 3.

Shinichi Yamamura, deputy president of the video business group of Sony, will become president of the new company.

The new firm will be capitalized at 490 mln yen. Sony will have 55 pct and NEC the rest.

http://www.forbes.com/business/feeds/afx/2...afx2554631.html

Another way to get rid of the competition? Both NEC and HD-DVD ? Wouldn't put it past them; they have learned from MS.

Interesting move as Sony is the one of the biggest backers of the Blu-ray format and NEC is one of the biggest backers of HD-DVD.

TOKYO (AFX) - Sony Corp said it and NEC Corp have signed a definitive agreement on establishing a joint venture, Sony NEC Optiarc Inc, to jointly seek business opportunities in the optical disc drive field.

Sony and NEC will spin off their respective optical disc drive businesses on April 1 and transfer them to the joint venture, which is to be established on April 3.

Shinichi Yamamura, deputy president of the video business group of Sony, will become president of the new company.

The new firm will be capitalized at 490 mln yen. Sony will have 55 pct and NEC the rest.

http://www.forbes.com/business/feeds/afx/2...afx2554631.html

Not endorsing anything -- just making a comment on possible business practices. Where do you see me making a comment on what should the future hold? :)

You prefer incompatible formats?

And HD is not compatible with present systems, whereas Blu-ray is.

Lynn

You prefer incompatible formats?

And HD is not compatible with present systems, whereas Blu-ray is.

Lynn

Please explain these facts Hd not compatible with present systems, whereas Blu-ray is.

HD and Blue Ray are the same Blue Laser only the groove is smaller in BD and larger disc's.

Today's DVD is Red Laser. Compatibility will be backward not forward, because of the Laser!

NEC has developed technology to record and read both current and next-generation DVDs with a single optical head.

cdanteek

Please explain these facts Hd not compatible with present systems, whereas Blu-ray is.

HD and Blue Ray are the same Blue Laser only the groove is smaller in BD and larger disc's.

Today's DVD is Red Laser. Compatibility will be backward not forward, because of the Laser!

NEC has developed technology to record and read both current and next-generation DVDs with a single optical head.

cdanteek

Hmmm ... I guess what I read was

Will Blu-ray be backwards compatible with DVD?

Yes, several leading consumer electronics companies (including Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, Samsung, Sharp, Sony and LG) have already demonstrated products that can read/write CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs using a BD/DVD/CD compatible optical head, so you don't have to worry about your existing DVD collection becoming obsolete. Although it's up to each manufacturer to decide if they want to make their products backwards compatible with DVD, the format is far too popular to not be supported. The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) expects every Blu-ray Disc device to be backward compatible with CDs and DVDs.

http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/

I didn't google HD.

Lynn

I said NEC has developed technology to record and read both current and next-generation DVDs with a single optical head. NEC is one of the biggest backers of HD-DVD.

Fact is I want you and I to win and with competition we have. Quality DVD - + R media $0.30, DVD - + R DL Burners $37.99.

If they want to win they both have to be backward compatible. faster to bring products to the market place and of course cheaper.

com·pe·ti·tion - the effort of two or more parties acting independently to secure the business of a third party by offering the most favorable terms.

cdanteek

Archived