Problem Saving As Disc Image

thesteelavenger

Question

I have version 7.0.2 of toast, I've been saving each project as a disk image to overcome a problem with sound not being imported from iMovie correctly all the time (thanks to advice from this site). However I've recently had some trouble saving a project as a disk image when saving from a dvd disk directly. It'll get all the way towards the end of writing "project.toast" or whatever title I've chosen and then it will stop writing the project with no error message and the "project.toast" icon dissapears from the desktop. No trace of it is anywhere in the system. I've re-booted and re-saved the project and it's done the same thing three times.

4 answers to this question

Do you have ample hard drive space on the drive where the Roxio Converted Items Folder is located? The only thing I can think of is that Toast runs out of room to write the disc image. If that's not the issue, then I don't know what could be the cause.

Thanks for the suggestion, it wasn't that.

I finally got an error message. It was related to MAC OS error 18768, which I see is about dropped frames or quality problems with the source disk. I'm burning home movies from dvd's I made with my mac.

I've found a few work arounds that seem to work eventually. One is to convert the DVD's to disc images (I used disk utility for that) and it'll sometimes work okay after that for saving as disk image through toast. Mostly it still gives me trouble though. I've found I can sometimes burn straight to DVD from there and it'll work fine for whatever reason.

Can I export the video as MPEG-4 and still keep the same quality when I come back and burn a DVD? Someone had a suggestion about that related to MPEG's being exported as MPEG files repairing the problem without losing quality. I'm worried exporting as MPEG will lower my quality.

So you are creating a disc image from an existing video DVD, but at the end of the process Toast either abandons the process and the image file vanishes, or you get an 18768 error. This does indicate there is something wrong with the source. The fact that it happens at the end suggests that is the location of the problem. If you have MPEG Streamclip (or Cinematize) you could open the VTS title set from the DVD and trim off the last few seconds. Then export as an MPEG file to use in Toast's Video window to author a new DVD.

Do you have ample hard drive space on the drive where the Roxio Converted Items Folder is located? The only thing I can think of is that Toast runs out of room to write the disc image. If that's not the issue, then I don't know what could be the cause.

I found another method that works pretty well. I exported all of the movie files in my Toast 7 DVD project as DV to my desktop. From there I could use the DV files to build my project and save as a disc image with no problems. The resulting disc seems good so far, I've only flipped through the chapters, but they're all working good. No burn errors.

Archived