smooth1

CD Spin Doctor Crashing

Question

I've searched through the forum and could not find info on CD Spin Doctor crashing, specifically when I'm trying to add tracks to my dj mix. I bring in the file (AIF) and I can add the track marks, but about every second time I try to play the track to make sure my mark is where I want, it either does play, or it starts to play and stops (no music plays). I hit the stop button, but nothing...just the little thinking color cirlcle. I have to force quite qll the time. For now, I save after each track I make so that when I open it back up, at least those are still there and I might get lucky and get to play a track or two before the programs stops on my. I've upgraded to Toast 8.1. Is there a setting I didn't hit? I wouldn't think this was a setting issue. It's a fairly new Mac with tons of memory and speed (can't remember specifics). I even took out the firewire connector connected to my Mbox2 Pro thinking maybe they didn't like each other (which by the way I can't hear the CD SD output via my Mbox2 Pro that is connected to a sounds system) but that didn't work either as it pretty much crashed again. I ended up with 26 tracks on my mix but had to restart CD SD almost 20 times, no lying. Any suggestions?

8 answers to this question

1. Set your Audio Output to 44100Hz, 2 Channel 16-bit

2. Try moving the files that reside in the audio plug-ins folder to another location on your hard drive:

//Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/

~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/ (~ = user folder)

I have a similar issue whereby the program just quits when I click on the 'play' button after a recording.

I reopen the program and click play for the recording and it just quits again.

Sometimes, I can get the recording to play, but other times it will quit on click play, or during the recording.

Also there is a strange clicking noise during recording. The noise is not there during playback, but is very annoying during recording.

In additoin to this, it speeds up the recording during the record process.

Very strange.

This all happens whether I use an iMic for input, or if I just go directly thru line-in.

I am using a MacBook Pro with 10.4.10.

I am running version 4.01.205t and I can find no upgrades for this version.

I have moved the plug-ins as suggested here, but it has made no difference.

This has made the program virtually unusable for me. I'm now using the free software that comes with the iMic "Final Vinyl" which is bug free, but I would like to use the Spin Doctor with all of it's features, and since it is one of the main reasons I bought Toast 8.

Any ideas anyone?

I have a similar issue whereby the program just quits when I click on the 'play' button after a recording.

I reopen the program and click play for the recording and it just quits again.

Sometimes, I can get the recording to play, but other times it will quit on click play, or during the recording.

Also there is a strange clicking noise during recording. The noise is not there during playback, but is very annoying during recording.

In additoin to this, it speeds up the recording during the record process.

Very strange.

This all happens whether I use an iMic for input, or if I just go directly thru line-in.

I am using a MacBook Pro with 10.4.10.

I am running version 4.01.205t and I can find no upgrades for this version.

I have moved the plug-ins as suggested here, but it has made no difference.

This has made the program virtually unusable for me. I'm now using the free software that comes with the iMic "Final Vinyl" which is bug free, but I would like to use the Spin Doctor with all of it's features, and since it is one of the main reasons I bought Toast 8.

Any ideas anyone?

It's been awhile since I've used CDSD but I do recall a problem where the audio might not actually be written to the hard drive as it was supposed to be done. I think this happened when the source for the audio selected in CDSD was different than the audio input source selected in Audio MIDI Setup (in the Utilities folder). What would happen as a result is a crash when trying to play the nonexistent file. This may not be related to the issue you're experiencing.

Crashing is one of CDSD's big problems, at least in previous versions. It is less of a problem than it used to be but the application is sensitive to other conditions within the computer and OS. What happens if you open and play an AIFF file on your hard drive that CDSD didn't record?

I have been using Spin doctor for several days quite successfully but since updating to Leapord have the same problem: Cannot play a file new or my previous saved files. I have to force quit the application. I upgraded to 8.1 , Back graded to 8 same result . Aiff Files simply can't be played.

I too am using Leopard and can't get any of the files I created in Spin Doctor prior to 10.5 to play. Spin Doctor just stalls, requiring a Force Quit. I hope this is one of the issues to be addressed in the promised Toast 8 Leopard update!

Edited by Deyon

I just upgraded to Leopard, and have the same problem. I hit play and nothing happens but a hang and a force quit. I tried to go to Roxio support for solutions, but I'm finding that there is none. I don't feel like paying for phone support, either. Anyone else feel a lack of support here?

I used to have a PC, and used Magix Audio Cleaner, which had a great deal of functionality and was easier to use. It's PC only, though, so I bought CDSD. It's simple, but not easy to use, especially if the tracks you are trying to define have to be done manually.

So - any suggestions on the hang problem? You'd think Roxio would address this with an update.

I have just uploaded Toast 8.0.3 and this seems to have fixed problems with Spin Doctor described above.

Thanks. I don't want to spend more money on another Roxio product, though, since their support seems to be lousy. I searched around, though, and tried Sound Studio. After testing it, I bought the program. It's not perfect, but it works well with Leopard and many of its features are easier to use than Spin Doctor's. I am hoping Roxio will provide a fix for the Leopard problem with SD, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for the info, though.