• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

piper181

Launching EMC9

Question

I have a Dell Vostro, 160 meg HD, 2.0 gig RAM, NVIDIA 256 GeoForce 8600. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program MANY times and still I get the following when I try to burn a project:

"The following codec(s) must be activated before using the application: MPEG-2. Click OK to activate or Cancel to abort."

Of course, I click "OK." And I get, "No permission-Bad installation."

Any ideas? I've sent an email to Roxio tech support and no response...

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Paul

7 answers to this question

I have a Dell Vostro, 160 meg HD, 2.0 gig RAM, NVIDIA 256 GeoForce 8600. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program MANY times and still I get the following when I try to burn a project:

"The following codec(s) must be activated before using the application: MPEG-2. Click OK to activate or Cancel to abort."

Paul

Have you followed the clean install instructions here:

Vista Clean Install

XP Clean Install

I bought a new Dell back in January. This problem is not germain just to Roxio. At that time I had the pre-installed Roxio OEM version. I then downloaded Pinnacle Studio free 30 day version. I wanted to test both products.

Pinnacle Studio put me into such a loop about the codec same as you are getting. Do this Do that and still I had problems. I finally used the advice in this forum. I uninstalled Pinnacle and purchased the Roxio Deluxe and did a clean install. I have not had any issues at all with the product.

One thing I did and probably more unusual than most, is after I installed the full version I came to the forum and read and read. I read as many posts as I could and BEFORE I actually tried to do a full project, I would try some of the tips and tricks and do small 10 minute projects just to learn. There is a vast wealth of knowledge in the forum. My completed projects went as smooth as glass. Some people, and not talking about you, will shoot from the hip and not read first. They then blame Roxio for their problems. As you can see from my post count I am a novice on the board. That is because I did not have to post questions to similar situations. If they counted posts that I read I would be a guru.

Best regards,

Michael

I get the same error from a two week old newly bought system (Dell XPS 410), which is preloaded with Roxio Creator DE (an OEM version). No luck even if I disable the firewall. And the CinePlayer that came with it has no audio if I play a DVD movie. WMP 10 plays good and downloaded VLC player (thanks Paul!) also plays good.

I didn't pursue solving the problem as I am planning to uninstall that OEM version and install the full version of EMC 9 or 10 Deluxe.

Sounds like Dell does not test its preloaded application if it works at all. :(

Sounds like Dell does not test its preloaded application if it works at all. :(

Putting Dell AND Test in the same sentence.... sort of like Jumbo Shrimp, Military Intelligence, Border Control and of course, BRIEF LEGAL DESCRIPTION :D

Edited by Michaelcz

Putting Dell AND Test in the same sentence.... sort of like Jumbo Shrimp, Military Intelligence, Border Control and of course, BRIEF LEGAL DESCRIPTION :D

How much do you think Dell pays for their version of the included software? Probably next to nothing. The help you get is much better in their forums than with their support on OEM software.

And, I can tell you from first hand experience, Jumbo Shrimp DO EXIST! :P I totally agree with the rest of your examples.

I just did the clean install and it appears to have worked. For joy! However, now the program won't recognize any of my drives! It doesn't "see" either of my two drives...the DVD/RW or the CD/RW

Now what?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul