• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Titling Mp3 Files

strazesker

Question

I'm first now attempting to convert many of my CDa discs containing compilations of songs by various artists to MP3 (files?).

Using WMP 10 I entered the titles of each CDa disc manually & said titles appear upon playback.

Titles are easily editied using WMP, if/when needed.

How then does one manually enter [the] track titles after they've been ripped to a HD using EZCreators 6 or 7??

Must be a way to title/edit MP3 files equally as easy as WMP's CDa, right? :huh:

Just need to figure out *how* it's done & am having a devil of a time.

BTW I've both EZCDC ver 7 (...186) & ver 6 (last update) loaded, FWIW.

TIA, straz. :)

6 answers to this question

Just open Windows Explorer, navigate to the .MP3 files, select a file by right-clicking on it, then select Rename. Type in the new name and press enter. Is that what you want?

Not exactly.

I know how to use the edit function within WMP, it's EZCDC I'm inquiring about.

For example:

Boot EZCD Creator to make a MP3 disc from a CDa that's NOT a "commerial" copy CD, rather a compilation of songs I made in the past.

The CD's contents [read: song titles] do NOT appear when using the "convert" function (~when ripping 'em to MP3 files).

After a CDa disc's contents have been converted to MP3 files & stored on my HD?

The only identification the MP3 files have is the length of time for each song/file.

The question: How does one edit song titles to the MP3 files while they're on the HD, before they're burned to a 700MB MP3 disc using EZCDCreators 6 or 7??

Conventional reasoning -- :huh: -- dictates (to me) while using EZCDCreator 6 or 7[/i] just right-click on any MP3 file and they may then enter and/or edit tile etc, same procedure as Windows Media Player.

Butttttt apparently that's not how it works with EZCDCreator.

I've got this feeling I'm making this a LOT harder than it is, Mr.D.

Story of my life. :)

Be that as it may this is really holding me up from beginning the very large job of converting to MP3 hundreds of songs I now have in CDa.

Make's no sense burning MP3 discs (for use on my new auto's stereo) unless the the titles read-out upon playback.

Aside from the compression/space advantage of MP3 isn't the ability to display song titles another great feature, as opposed to the "old" CDa discs?

What am I missing here, because I'm misssing something.

Thanks, straz

Yes, the graphic is from version 8, and I'd be willing to bet that you won't find a similar option on 7 or 6, unfortunately.

I'll bet you're correct, Dave.

The differences between each version of the Roxio product has been just enough to cause many users absolute fits.

Don't misunderstand, those with a "programming", IT, or CS background probably found all their products easy to use, and why not, it's their "business".

But for those with any less experience (me), it's been another matter altogether.

Oh well that's life.

Always Musicmatch (or some other product) I could try, assuming they're not equally confusing for novice users like myself to *learn* how to use.

I think you're best bet is the click-twice-but-not-double-click option, if you insist on doing it in ECDC 6/EMC 7.

Thanks my friend, I'm going to explore that option at my first opportunity before delving into another product.

Otherwise, I'm not sure why you seem to be reluctant to use the Windows Explorer option, which supports the standard Windows "F2 to rename" option, which ECDC 5 (I don't know about 6) doesn't support. Renaming the files that way may be as easy, or easier, than fiddling about in ECDC/EMC.

I think the reason lies in my lack of understanding of how these things work, Dave.

It's really that simple.

I mean I can rip MP3s using WMP 10, but, have had no success *burning* 'em to a 700MB disc; hence, I was forced to try the Roxio product.

Otherwise this would be a moot issue, & I, a happy camper.

I'm confident there's a way to do this using Roxio 6, 7 or WMP 10.

Just up to me to learn *how* its done, a laboreous painstaking "process" for sure.

(I can feel the *fun* I'm in-store for. :) )

Thank you kindly Dave for your sage insight(s) & assistance.

This Bud's for you. :huh:

Not exactly.

I know how to use the edit function within WMP, it's EZCDC I'm inquiring about.

For example:

Boot EZCD Creator to make a MP3 disc from a CDa that's NOT a "commerial" copy CD, rather a compilation of songs I made in the past.

The CD's contents [read: song titles] do NOT appear when using the "convert" function (~when ripping 'em to MP3 files).

After a CDa disc's contents have been converted to MP3 files & stored on my HD?

The only identification the MP3 files have is the length of time for each song/file.

The question: How does one edit song titles to the MP3 files while they're on the HD, before they're burned to a 700MB MP3 disc using EZCDCreators 6 or 7??

Conventional reasoning -- :huh: -- dictates (to me) while using EZCDCreator 6 or 7[/i] just right-click on any MP3 file and they may then enter and/or edit tile etc, same procedure as Windows Media Player.

Butttttt apparently that's not how it works with EZCDCreator.

I've got this feeling I'm making this a LOT harder than it is, Mr.D.

Story of my life. :)

Be that as it may this is really holding me up from beginning the very large job of converting to MP3 hundreds of songs I now have in CDa.

Make's no sense burning MP3 discs (for use on my new auto's stereo) unless the the titles read-out upon playback.

Aside from the compression/space advantage of MP3 isn't the ability to display song titles another great feature, as opposed to the "old" CDa discs?

What am I missing here, because I'm misssing something.

Thanks, straz

I'm not sure you're missing anything. Currently, I have ECDC 5, and EMC 8 installed on my system, not 6 or 7. But in neither version that I have installed do you actually change the name of the .MP3 file on your HD. In ECDC 5, if you select the track, then click it again (don't double-click else it will start playing), it will let you edit the track title that will be put onto the disc if you write CD-Text, I suspect ECDC 6 may behave the same way. In EMC 8, using the "Home" application, you can right-click and get "Properties" and do the same thing. In the Music Disc Creator, you have to click on the "Tag Editor" and edit there, see image below. From what I see, changing the Tag information doesn't change the files appearance in the Media Selector, and again, it doesn't change the file name on HD. I never had EMC 7, I went from ECDC 5 to ECDC 7.5, so I don't know what EMC 7 may do in this regard.

To change the file name on the HD, I gave you the solution before, use Windows Explorer, as neither version of ECDC/EMC that I have installed will do that.

Keep in mind, that when you enter the file names of your Audio CDs into WMP, you're not actually putting anything onto the CD, it's just building a database of file names associated with the unique ID of that CD (which is based on the number and length of files on the CD). That doesn't get associated with the CD in any other application except WMP, but I suspect you're aware of that.

Hope that helps!

post-61-1141335699.jpg

I'm first now attempting to convert many of my CDa discs containing compilations of songs by various artists to MP3 (files?).

Using WMP 10 I entered the titles of each CDa disc manually & said titles appear upon playback.

Titles are easily editied using WMP, if/when needed.

How then does one manually enter [the] track titles after they've been ripped to a HD using EZCreators 6 or 7??

Must be a way to title/edit MP3 files equally as easy as WMP's CDa, right? :huh:

Just need to figure out *how* it's done & am having a devil of a time.

BTW I've both EZCDC ver 7 (...186) & ver 6 (last update) loaded, FWIW.

TIA, straz. :)

Just open Windows Explorer, navigate to the .MP3 files, select a file by right-clicking on it, then select Rename. Type in the new name and press enter. Is that what you want?

I'm not sure you're missing anything.

:)

Wished I had your confidence, Dave. :D

Currently, I have ECDC 5, and EMC 8 installed on my system, not 6 or 7. But in neither version that I have installed do you actually change the name of the .MP3 file on your HD. In ECDC 5, if you select the track, then click it again (don't double-click else it will start playing), it will let you edit the track title that will be put onto the disc if you write CD-Text, I suspect ECDC 6 may behave the same way.

That'd be almost too simple, but, I'll investigate the matter further...single click, huh.

In EMC 8, using the "Home" application, you can right-click and get "Properties" and do the same thing. In the Music Disc Creator, you have to click on the "Tag Editor" and edit there, see image below. From what I see, changing the Tag information doesn't change the files appearance in the Media Selector, and again, it doesn't change the file name on HD.

I'm probably doing a poor job explaining exactly what I wanted based upon how I thought things worked.

Things get scrambled in the translation.

I never had EMC 7, I went from ECDC 5 to ECDC 7.5, so I don't know what EMC 7 may do in this regard.

Well I started with ECDC 4 (pckged on the Dell) & have upgraded right along up to Ver 7 (Build 7.1.1.189 ENU) which never worked quite right compounded by Roxio changing the nomenclature so little from previous versions carried over to the then "new" EZCD 7.

Even after purchasing the lengthy upgrade full of Mega-patches (~am on dial-up) I never was able to get the thing to function for me the way I wanted, or, thought it should.

In hindsight I'm glad I kept ECDC 6 (6.2.0.110) or else I'd not have been able to do anything, nevermind retrieving the jewel cases stored with Ver 6.

In any event...

To change the file name on the HD, I gave you the solution before, use Windows Explorer, as neither version of ECDC/EMC that I have installed will do that.

Are you saying if I titled all the songs in WMP 10, they'd xfer to the ECDC 6 or 7 program with titles intact?

Again, almost seems too easy.

Interestingly enough all my WMP 10 data is titled, so I wonder [now] where I've went astray.

Will have to tinker with it, more.

That's all I can think at this stage.

Keep in mind, that when you enter the file names of your Audio CDs into WMP, you're not actually putting anything onto the CD, it's just building a database of file names associated with the unique ID of that CD (which is based on the number and length of files on the CD). That doesn't get associated with the CD in any other application except WMP, but I suspect you're aware of that.

Yes, I'd kind of thought [song] titles were merely associated with the actual songs, not "with/on" a file.

Strange things these PCs, but then what do I know...certainly not EZCDCreator, that's for sure. :huh:

Hope that helps!

Better than I had been Dave, and thanks my friend.

But listen: The graphic you've so generously included...it's from your Ver 8, right?

Reason I ask is because I'm going to search around my vers 6 *&* 7 to see if I can find a similar or even similar nomenclature.

Right now that's the only clue I have, in lieu of a thorough understanding of how this software works. :D

But listen: The graphic you've so generously included...it's from your Ver 8, right?

Reason I ask is because I'm going to search around my vers 6 *&* 7 to see if I can find a similar or even similar nomenclature.

Right now that's the only clue I have, in lieu of a thorough understanding of how this software works. :)

Yes, the graphic is from version 8, and I'd be willing to bet that you won't find a similar option on 7 or 6, unfortunately. I think you're best bet is the click-twice-but-not-double-click option, if you insist on doing it in ECDC 6/EMC 7.

Otherwise, I'm not sure why you seem to be reluctant to use the Windows Explorer option, which supports the standard Windows "F2 to rename" option, which ECDC 5 (I don't know about 6) doesn't support. Renaming the files that way may be as easy, or easier, than fiddling about in ECDC/EMC.

Archived