• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

chelseamick

burning an npg file

Question

I have a pre installed Media creator 9 on my computer and it works great when used in conjuntion with Windows media center. I can burn Windows movie (dvr-ms)files which I recorded with media center with no problems, however I'm having trouble with my media cennter EPG so I recorded a tv program using Hauppauge software leaving me with a file called Movie clip(mpg).

When I tried to burn this to a dvd I get the following error message " The file you are trying to use cannot be edited, and has not been added"

Has anyone any idea what this means. I only want to DVD Video, it doesn't seem a very technical thing to do but then I am totally ignorant about this matter. any suggestions would be grateefully appreciatd

6 answers to this question

A DVD Move, not Technical??? That was a joke right?

I don't know anything about Hauppauge other than they can be a proprietary pain in the arse! However a few gurus here suffer with their products and should be able to advise you.

I capture tv shows almost daily with my PVR500 (using GBPVR) and usually capture at best quality. MyDVD/Videowave take them with no problems.

First, have you been asked to activate mpeg in v9? If not, it will not accept mpeg files. Next, make sure you have set the bitrate in whatever Hauppauge software you used higher than 3Mbps.

I capture tv shows almost daily with my PVR500 (using GBPVR) and usually capture at best quality. MyDVD/Videowave take them with no problems.

First, have you been asked to activate mpeg in v9? If not, it will not accept mpeg files. Next, make sure you have set the bitrate in whatever Hauppauge software you used higher than 3Mbps.

I havn't been asked about activation of mgeg files, how do I do it?. I did notice that in the properties lable for Windows Media file compression was labled Roxio MPEG Video Decoder whereas in the Movie clip recorded in Wintv it states compression MPEG Audio layer 2. I'm afraid I'm way out of my depth and have no idea what that means.

I had a look at the GBPVR website and the only Hauppage pvr were identified with no mention of DVB-T cards so I'm not sure if I would be able to use it.

I havn't been asked about activation of mgeg files, how do I do it?. I did notice that in the properties lable for Windows Media file compression was labled Roxio MPEG Video Decoder whereas in the Movie clip recorded in Wintv it states compression MPEG Audio layer 2. I'm afraid I'm way out of my depth and have no idea what that means.

I had a look at the GBPVR website and the only Hauppage pvr were identified with no mention of DVB-T cards so I'm not sure if I would be able to use it.

You should automatically be asked to activate mpeg when working with mpeg files. For some, it doesn't happen right away but for most, the first time you try to use and mpeg file in MyDVD or Videowave, you're asked for it. I don't think that's your problem but you can check out the activation section of the forum for more info.

I see you've already posted in the GBPVR forum and you're likely to get answers quickly. While not familiar wiht DVB-T cards, I am sure it will work with that software but am not sure if you can use 100% of the program. You can try a search for 'DVB-T' in their forum and see what pops up.

The files generated from GBPVR work perfect for me. I can import them into MyDVD or VW and there is no re-encoding needed.

Paul - DVB-T is Digital Video Broadcasting (Terrestrial)

Basically it's the basis for the coming HD TV system where the signals are transmitted from the existing TV masts in digital instead of analogue format (we're due to cease analogue in 5 - 6 years time). The 'T' bit is just to show that it's from ground stations and not satellite

I use an AverMedia DVB-T card here and it saves in standard mpeg format with no problem - it's only problem is that the computer doesn't have a card slot for the subscription channels :lol:

Paul - DVB-T is Digital Video Broadcasting (Terrestrial)

Basically it's the basis for the coming HD TV system where the signals are transmitted from the existing TV masts in digital instead of analogue format (we're due to cease analogue in 5 - 6 years time). The 'T' bit is just to show that it's from ground stations and not satellite

I use an AverMedia DVB-T card here and it saves in standard mpeg format with no problem - it's only problem is that the computer doesn't have a card slot for the subscription channels :lol:

He'll have to check into GBPVR further for what it can and cannot do with that card but I'm 99% sure the files it will create will work with no problems in EMC.