• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Ethel

Save and edit AVI files

Question

I have a DV camera and have used EMC 9 to save the files in AVI format. When the file is being saved you see the scenes (individual files created when you start and stop the camera). The video capture works fine. However, EMC 9 does not seem to provide an easy way to edit a avi file that contains multiple scene files. All I have been able to do is edit the entire file, save that particulare sceen in the timeline and then go back to the whole file and manually edit it and save it to the timeline. This is rediculas since it causes me to have to process the same file as many as 90 times (depending on the number of sceens).

I have not seen anything about this in the documentation so I am starting to think that EMC does not have the capability. Unless I can figure this out I am going to go back to my free editor that came with MS XP.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Edited by Ethel

3 answers to this question

The easiest way is to use use Media Manager in combination with Videowave.

1. In Media Manager, locate the video file. Easiest is to use thumbnail view.

Right click on the thumbnail of your file, click Scene detection.

In the scene detection window, locate and set the start of each scene, when done click OK.

In Media manager, thumbnail view, you will now see a little arrow bottom right of the thumbnail of the file. Click that.

A window opens showing each scene as a separate thumbnail. Right click on one, click edit.

The scene is automatically loaded into Videowave (which will be opened if not already open). Edit/trim if desired, output the scene as a file, setting desired format, name, etc.

No need to close Videowave, just go back to the Media Manager Window, right click/edit on the next scene, which then replaces the first one in Videowave, so you can now output the second one as a separate file.

Repeat for each of the scenes.

Once the scenes have been defined in Media Manager, it keeps that information. So you don't need to do all the scenes in one session, you can go back. You can also, of course reset or delete the scene derection.

post-112-1191374612.png

post-112-1191374630.png

Edited by jeanrosenfeld

I had this same issue and was trying to follow these directions. Everything is working except for this part:

No need to close Videowave, just go back to the Media Manager Window, right click/edit on the next scene, which then replaces the first one in Videowave, so you can now output the second one as a separate file.

When I do this, the first one doesn't get replaced in VW, it just sits there. I have to save my output and then close down VW after each edit. I'm using EMC 10 so I'm wondering if this is a change with this version? Anyone know?

Sorry, my bad. I'm using EMC 10, and when I first tested I thought the next scene loaded without closing Videowave. But I've just tried again, and you're right. Close Videowave before going back to Media Manager.