medsdps

VideoWave 10 has stopped working

Question

I have a new Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with an Intel Core2 Duo T7500 @ 2.20GHz with 2GB RAM, Windows Vista 32 bit OS, video card is a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT. I have upgraded from Roxio version that came with the machine (DE) to Easy Media Creator 10 so that I could do some video editing. I am able to work for a while with the VideoWave 10 program, but without fail I will be performing an operation and I will get the message that "VideoWave 10 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." I have been unable to get beyond a few operations before the program crashes. I tried unchecking the Direct X media acceleration in WMP, but I am continuing to have the same problem. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

25 answers to this question

Thanks for the advice. I already tried to uninstall and reinstall just going through the Vista uninstaller, but I will run the clean install tonight after work and see if that helps. It is odd as the program is running well in my Dell Desktop (3+ years old with XP).

Well, I have tried the clean install, but there has been no improvement in the performance in video wave. It still is crashing when I am trying to edit video files. Any other suggestions?

No one has anyother suggestions?

Update your graphics card drivers,go to the manufacturers web site and download the latest drivers.If you can get video wave or mydvd to open go to tools/options set to software render.Even though the pc is new running vista dont think dfor 1 sec that you have the latest drivers

No one has anyother suggestions?

I have same or similar problem. Checked all these posts. In VideoWave, when I play imported video, it runs for one- to three seconds and freezes. No error msg. The only way I can get out of it is CtrlAltDel. Program not responding. End Task.

Toshiba Satellite Pent 4 2.8G, 512 MB Ram.

what a horrible program. it shouldn't be that hard to get software to run on a brand new computer. i have uninstalled/reinstalled, changed rendering process, updated drivers, and i still can't get videowave to even split a file without shutting down. i don't have time for this. time to look for other software

While working on a project in VideoWave, the program locked and caused the screen images to remain with some applications.

I can open other applications and run appropriately. In fact, VideoWave is locked now and I have not re-booted yet.

I have left it alone to see if there might be some debugging I could do. Since this is about my 8th or 9th install (including a clean install), I don't think that will help. Acceleration is not checked.

If I were to reboot, what might be the least number of applications that need to run the computer properly? I ask this because in taskmanager it appears that the CPU is at 100% some of the time. Current PF usage is 906MB. VideoWave is using about 132MB of memory.

When I leave this screen open and switch back to VW10, the top part of VW is there but on the bottom are all of the prior screens that I opened overlapping each other.

Eventually closed program with Task Manager and on re-boot, received Run Time error messages.

Any help??

Edited by Tom2

what a horrible program. it shouldn't be that hard to get software to run on a brand new computer. i have uninstalled/reinstalled, changed rendering process, updated drivers, and i still can't get videowave to even split a file without shutting down. i don't have time for this. time to look for other software

By looking a t all the views of this issue it looks like there are a few of us out here that are having problems with this program running in VISTA. One of the reasons I purchased the new EMC 10 is so that it would work with VISTA. Thank goodness I can still load XP.

If you find other software post it here..

Thanks,

SteVe

By looking a t all the views of this issue it looks like there are a few of us out here that are having problems with this program running in VISTA. One of the reasons I purchased the new EMC 10 is so that it would work with VISTA. Thank goodness I can still load XP.

If you find other software post it here..

Thanks,

SteVe

VideoWave (newest version with EMC10) will not output a video file. It also hangs most of the time while editing. The task manager is needed to kill the process because it never processes windows messages again once it is hung.

When I try to output a wmv file the process viewer pops up with nothing in it and it never makes any progress. The task manager say the process is not using any CPU time so it is not doing anything. It takes the task manager to regain use of the computer by killing videowave.

I noticed that some of you are having this problem under Vista. I am running XP Pro and still having the problems. I noticed that there are no updates posted in the downloads. Bummer!

Ken

VideoWave (newest version with EMC10) will not output a video file. It also hangs most of the time while editing. The task manager is needed to kill the process because it never processes windows messages again once it is hung.

When I try to output a wmv file the process viewer pops up with nothing in it and it never makes any progress. The task manager say the process is not using any CPU time so it is not doing anything. It takes the task manager to regain use of the computer by killing videowave.

I noticed that some of you are having this problem under Vista. I am running XP Pro and still having the problems. I noticed that there are no updates posted in the downloads. Bummer!

Ken

What video card do you have? Have you updated the drivers for it?

I'm not sure if I'm having the same problem, but I found a trick that might help.

I use Vista Home premium and when I try to use the Pan and Zoom editor (in VideoWave), the applications stops responding.

When this happens, I right click on the task bar and open the Task Manager. Next, I click the Services tab. Down at the bottom, I click the Services icon. I'm asked if I want to give permission to run services, and I say yes. Immediately, VideoWave un-freezes.

Maybe someone knows why this works (I have no idea). But, it is a life saver... I hope it works for you too. Admittedly, we shouldn't have to do this, but hey, if it works, I'm using it until they fix the program.

Dan

What is the Services Icon? I just tried to view it in Task Manager and do not see a Services Icon. What OS are you running?

Have you seen the message on this forum about creating another user in Vista and tryin to use EMC 10 from the new user. Not ideal but it worked for me.

I also use Vista Home premium (french version) and when I try to use the Pan and Zoom editor (in VideoWave french version), the applications stops responding.

With the magic key (ctrl, atl and del) and opening the Task Manager, most of the time it's start running again.

Is there a fix for the problem?

This worked for me and also works for many other programs having trouble with Vista:

Right click on the program you wish to run, (Videowave 10)

Click on "Properties"

Click on "Compatability"

Place a "check" in the box next to "Run this program in campatability mode for:"

Select "Windows NT 4.0 (Service pack 5)

Click on "OK"

This option has worked for me on a few other programs as well. Everything works fine now with no problems or crashes running videowave. I hope this helps.

This worked for me and also works for many other programs having trouble with Vista:

Right click on the program you wish to run, (Videowave 10)

Click on "Properties"

Click on "Compatability"

Place a "check" in the box next to "Run this program in campatability mode for:"

Select "Windows NT 4.0 (Service pack 5)

Click on "OK"

This option has worked for me on a few other programs as well. Everything works fine now with no problems or crashes running videowave. I hope this helps.

Yup, that worked for me too. Thanks for this.

My issue was that Videowave would not load a previously saved version of a file. The file would "load" then just hang......

I am using Vista x64.

Yup, that worked for me too. Thanks for this.

My issue was that Videowave would not load a previously saved version of a file. The file would "load" then just hang......

I am using Vista x64.

Scrap my comment above. MyDVD10 still freezes when loading a previously saved project. So, I am back to square one. I just wish this app would work... I like it

Scrap my comment above. MyDVD10 still freezes when loading a previously saved project. So, I am back to square one. I just wish this app would work... I like it

I did not see how it could make any difference when you consider that the product will not even run on Win9x or NT…

Try the clean install procedure, the link is in the second post. Follow it to the letter or you are just wasting your time.

I have the same set-up (i.e. Dell 1520 with GeForce 8600M) and have managed to get most of EMC10 working by disabling the hardware video acceleration. This needed to be done in two spots:

• In Windows Media Player 11, using the classic menus, uncheck Tools > Options > Performance > Turn on DirectX Video Acceleration for WMV files.
  • From the Control Panel, find the CinePlayer DVD Decoder Options; in the Video tab, uncheck "Enable Video Hardware Acceleration."
Unfortunately, I can't vouch that this is fix-all for this configuration since it tooks me (literally) months of reinstallations, tweaks and fiddles to get to this point of tenous stability. The MyDVD/VideoWave/Media Manager now works a lot of the time (50%?) but I still get a significant number of start-up/log-in crashes. In all, I would say that the EMC9/10 upgrade is probably one of the worst $300 investments I've ever made (probably the worst would be Vista).

Good luck!

I have the same set-up (i.e. Dell 1520 with GeForce 8600M) and have managed to get most of EMC10 working by disabling the hardware video acceleration. This needed to be done in two spots:

• In Windows Media Player 11, using the classic menus, uncheck Tools > Options > Performance > Turn on DirectX Video Acceleration for WMV files.
  • From the Control Panel, find the CinePlayer DVD Decoder Options; in the Video tab, uncheck "Enable Video Hardware Acceleration."
Unfortunately, I can't vouch that this is fix-all for this configuration since it tooks me (literally) months of reinstallations, tweaks and fiddles to get to this point of tenous stability. The MyDVD/VideoWave/Media Manager now works a lot of the time (50%?) but I still get a significant number of start-up/log-in crashes. In all, I would say that the EMC9/10 upgrade is probably one of the worst $300 investments I've ever made (probably the worst would be Vista).

Good luck!

Thanks for your help. The fix cleaned up all my problems and EMC10 is working well now. Thanks again

I also have a problem with EMC 10. It freezes when I am using videowave to edit DVDs and then causes a system crash. Saying there is a BIOS problem which I don't believe. I am using Windows XP.

After all of these problems by so many people is there a fix, or can anyone recommend a product which will work. I want to edit a couple of videos not not have a PC mechanic's course.

I also have a problem with EMC 10. It freezes when I am using videowave to edit DVDs and then causes a system crash. Saying there is a BIOS problem which I don't believe. I am using Windows XP.

After all of these problems by so many people is there a fix, or can anyone recommend a product which will work. I want to edit a couple of videos not not have a PC mechanic's course.

What is the exact message that you get?

What is the exact message that you get?

There is no message it freezes then turns itself off and reboots saying I had a catastrophic error and would I like to report it to microsoft, which I did. The Microsoft reply is to consider a BIOS upgrade. The PC is 3 months old and is up to date