• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 26 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

What is an Overlay?

yourgos

Question

Hi All,

Pardon my ignorance but, what is an overlay? How it used in a DVD production? I've changed backgrouds on a DVD production with my own imges or with video clips for animation. I'm just not clear on how an overlay is best used.

As always, I thank you for any help!

2 answers to this question

Hi All,

Pardon my ignorance but, what is an overlay? How it used in a DVD production? I've changed backgrouds on a DVD production with my own imges or with video clips for animation. I'm just not clear on how an overlay is best used.

As always, I thank you for any help!

An overlay in the simplest terms is a video track that can be used to overlay (cover) a video or image on the main track. In this program it can cover the entire original track or be made smaller and placed anywhere over the main track. The overlay can start anywhere and end anywhere within the confines of the videos and images on the main track. In this program, I believe that there can be about 9 overlays if you count both the external and internal tracks.

Some of the more interesting uses of overlay tracks are what has been called the "Brady Bunch" effect where the images show up one at a time in 9 segments of the screen and the "Dallas" effect where the videos are vertical segments that follow each other in a progression across the screen. Both of those are old US TV shows.

An overlay mask is not the same. Basically those are set effects that are not really that adjustable but for those who like them, they are "cute".

Do you have any particular questions? Is the information above enough? It is something that is beat played around to get experience. Adjusting most of the effects using the timeline mode.

Sknis,

I thank you for taking the time to give me this very informative explanation! I'm old enough to remember the shows Dallas and the Brady Bunch so I got a good visual of what you described.

I'll play around with it and see if it works with my current DVD project.

Thanks Again!

Archived