Ty Catt

REINSTALL ISSUES, MPEG2 CODEC ISSUES, ETC...

Question

I purchased a Dell 410 with Easy Creator 9 installed. Tried to make a slideshow, had the MPEG2 CODEC BAD INSTALLATION ERROR stuff. Uninstalled it. Wanted to do the CLEAN UNINSTALL. Did the uninstall. Re-installed it. NOW HOWEVER, the slideshow creator isn't even in the list of the Video Tab.

Someone please help. Dell is clueless. :glare:

Thanks!

Tyler

8 answers to this question

It is an OEM program, meaning it is slightly crippled to start with.

Instead of waiting time with the Home program why not go their directly – Start – All Programs – Roxio EMC9 – Photo – Slideshow Assistant…

And you should know, all experienced users build their slideshows in VideoWave (under Video).

The Assistants are cute but primitive.

Instead of waiting time with the Home program why not go their directly – Start – All Programs – Roxio EMC9 – Photo – Slideshow Assistant…

James,

Thanks for your reply! :)

Even in my Photo directory, the Slideshow option is missing (it was actually in the video tab).

I have heard great things about VideoWave, and even that is nowhere to be found in my menu.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Tyler

Sounds like you have the DE version rather than a full Retail version??? These are cut down versions and I have no idea what is included or what is excluded…

Sounds like you have the DE version rather than a full Retail version??? These are cut down versions and I have no idea what is included or what is excluded…

James, you're right. It is the DE version. But I'm telling you, I had some of those options an install ago. After the most recent install, several options have vanished from the menus (i.ie the video tab was loaded with options, now there is just an upgrade button). I never would have gotton to the MPEG2 codec issue without those options.

Oh well, thanks again for your time.

Tyler

James, you're right. It is the DE version. But I'm telling you, I had some of those options an install ago. After the most recent install, several options have vanished from the menus (i.ie the video tab was loaded with options, now there is just an upgrade button). I never would have gotton to the MPEG2 codec issue without those options.

Oh well, thanks again for your time.

Tyler

Tyler, if you want to quote the person you are responding to, just click on the Reply button. The Quote button is really bogus. Although it has a function, it certainly isn't what a "normal" person would think that function should be.

hi can someone help me i got a new computer with roxio already instaled on it. everything works except my dvd every time i open it it says that it has to activate mpeg2 codecs when i press ok it says no premission bad installation i dont know what to do can anyone help me

If it was pre-installed you'd need to contact whoever supplied the computer and explain to them - there are several OEM versions around and they're modified in different ways

The 'normal' cure is a clean install of the program, but that's not an option here unless you have an EMC disc to re-install it

I too have been having problems with roxio 9. I have done the following with no success.The following are steps I have done over and over at least 20 different times. I still can not record anything. I continue being unable to record. I get a message that says "The following codec(s) must be activated before using the application: MPEG-2. I then get error no permission. Bad Installation... I have removed the software using windows Utility Cleaner. I have unplugged the internet and restarted the computer. The steps I take are::: I click on video wave. I then get "The following codec(s) must be activated before using application:MPEG-2 Click OK to activate or cancel abort". I click "OK". I then get "No Permission-Bad Installation".

I get something that says "Welcome to Video Wave, Select project". I click on new. I then select media. I then select the photos/videos (tried Both). After adding them to panels, I then got to file or DVD (tried booth). I then click on "Burn to DVD Express". I the get "The following codec(s) must be activated before using application:MPEG-2 Click OK or Abort". I click OK. I then get "No Permission-Bad Installation. Nothing happens. Sometimes, it just kick me out from there.

There has also been times that I get 80004005 error while encoding movie. Sometimes I get 800040154 error while encoding movie. I have used window install clean up to take out Roxio & Sonic and reinstalled it. I disable all. I have removed registry and everything else. I have downloaded and run patches as well.

Download Microsoft windows installer clean up utility

a. Enter the following address into the Address Bar of your web browser:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290301

b. Scroll down to and click on 'Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package now'

c. Click on Save and select to save to your Desktop Install and use the Installer Cleanup Utility to remove Easy Media Creator

a. On your Desktop, double-click on msicuu2.exe file and follow the on-screen instructions to install

b. Click on start, then All programs, and finally Windows Install Cleanup

c. Select any Roxio or Sonic references.

d. Click on Remove

Once that is completed please disable your startup applications using MSCONFIG.

How to disable all startup apps using MSCONFIG

Disabling startup and system tray items

a. Click on the 'Start' button, then click select 'Run'

b. Type 'msconfig' and then click the 'OK' button

c. Select the 'Startup' tab by left clicking on it

d. Click the 'Disable All' button

e. Click the 'Apply' button, then click the 'OK' button

f. Click the 'Restart' button

To reverse this just go back in and click 'enable all' and restart

(that can be done once installation is complete)

2.) For the step below you will need to show hidden files.

This can be done by clicking on my computer, go up and click on tools, then folder options. then view. Make sure show hidden folders is checked and click apply.

When you try the step below you may receive a message that a file is in use.

Simply drag that file to your desktop and it can be removed after resarting the computer.

(please note that the username referred to below is the name you use when logged into Windows XP)

2. Delete these folders from your hard drive

C:\Program Files\Roxio

C:\Program Files\Sonic

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic Shared

C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Roxio

C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Sonic

Once completed empty the recycle bin.

3. Remove these keys from the registry:

WARNING: THE NEXT STEP INVOLVES EDITING YOUR SYSTEM REGISTRY. WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU EXPORT

YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY EDITING. EDITING YOUR REGISTRY INCORRECTLY CAN CAUSE IRREPARABLE SYSTEM DAMAGE.

To export a copy of your registry, please do the following.

a.Go to 'Start' then 'Run', type 'regedit' and click 'OK'.

b.Locate and left click 'File' in the upper left hand corner of the Registry editor.

c.Click 'Export' (Export range All should be selected).

d.Choose a location on your hard drive and give the file a name.

e.Click 'Save' Your registry should now be backed up in a .reg file to the location you specified.

Note: if you are not familiar with editing the Registry then you may want to have someone do it for you.

Registry Edit instructions:

Select the 'Start' menu-->Select 'Run'--->Type: regedit. Click 'OK'.

Double-click the 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder' this will expand or open the folder.

b.Locate the 'Software' folder

c.Locate the 'Roxio' folder

d.Right click on Roxio and click delete.

(do the same for Sonic or Sonic Solutions)

Double-click the 'Hkey_Local_Machine folder' this will expand or open the folder.

(do the same for Sonic)

4. Restart

5. Download and run roxizap twice:

http://tools.roxio.com/support/tools/roxizap.exe

6. Please download, install and run Abexo Registry Cleaner to make sure that your registry is in good working order:

http://www.download.com/3001-2094_4-10434887.html

Important Note: Abexo is not a Sonic/Roxio application and as such Roxio does not offer any warranty or assistance with this application. By using this application you understand that Roxio does not assume any responsibility or liability for problems arising from its use.

7. Create a new XP Account by following these instructions:

Instructions on how to create a new account can be found at the Microsoft link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...783&sd=tech

8. Reinstall.

9. Update the Sonic Activation Module

a. Click on start, then All programs, and finally Windows Install Cleanup

b. Locate the Sonic Activation Module

c. Click on Remove

Then go to this link and download the file.

http://patches.sonic.com/techsupport/Activation.zip

Save this one to your desktop as well.

Double click on the file and it will open and show an 'Activation.exe' file, double click on that to run it. Follow the prompts to install the program.

10. Update your application with the PatchApp update:

a. Go to this link and download the file.

http://patches.sonic.com/techsupport/patchapp.zip

Double click on the file and it will open and show a patchapp.exe file, double click on that to run it. Wait 5 seconds to ensure that it has run (it does so silently). Double click it again and wait for it to run. (you should have ran the patchapp.exe file twice).

11. Restart.

12. Open Videowave or MyDVD, attempt to use the application.

NO SUCCESS

I too have been having problems with roxio 9. I have done the following with no success.The following are steps I have done over and over at least 20 different times. I still can not record anything. I continue being unable to record. I get a message that says "The following codec(s) must be activated before using the application: MPEG-2. I then get error no permission. Bad Installation... I have removed the software using windows Utility Cleaner. I have unplugged the internet and restarted the computer. The steps I take are::: I click on video wave. I then get "The following codec(s) must be activated before using application:MPEG-2 Click OK to activate or cancel abort". I click "OK". I then get "No Permission-Bad Installation".

I get something that says "Welcome to Video Wave, Select project". I click on new. I then select media. I then select the photos/videos (tried Both). After adding them to panels, I then got to file or DVD (tried booth). I then click on "Burn to DVD Express". I the get "The following codec(s) must be activated before using application:MPEG-2 Click OK or Abort". I click OK. I then get "No Permission-Bad Installation. Nothing happens. Sometimes, it just kick me out from there.

There has also been times that I get 80004005 error while encoding movie. Sometimes I get 800040154 error while encoding movie. I have used window install clean up to take out Roxio & Sonic and reinstalled it. I disable all. I have removed registry and everything else. I have downloaded and run patches as well.

Download Microsoft windows installer clean up utility

a. Enter the following address into the Address Bar of your web browser:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290301

b. Scroll down to and click on 'Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package now'

c. Click on Save and select to save to your Desktop Install and use the Installer Cleanup Utility to remove Easy Media Creator

a. On your Desktop, double-click on msicuu2.exe file and follow the on-screen instructions to install

b. Click on start, then All programs, and finally Windows Install Cleanup

c. Select any Roxio or Sonic references.

d. Click on Remove

Once that is completed please disable your startup applications using MSCONFIG.

How to disable all startup apps using MSCONFIG

Disabling startup and system tray items

a. Click on the 'Start' button, then click select 'Run'

b. Type 'msconfig' and then click the 'OK' button

c. Select the 'Startup' tab by left clicking on it

d. Click the 'Disable All' button

e. Click the 'Apply' button, then click the 'OK' button

f. Click the 'Restart' button

To reverse this just go back in and click 'enable all' and restart

(that can be done once installation is complete)

2.) For the step below you will need to show hidden files.

This can be done by clicking on my computer, go up and click on tools, then folder options. then view. Make sure show hidden folders is checked and click apply.

When you try the step below you may receive a message that a file is in use.

Simply drag that file to your desktop and it can be removed after resarting the computer.

(please note that the username referred to below is the name you use when logged into Windows XP)

2. Delete these folders from your hard drive

C:\Program Files\Roxio

C:\Program Files\Sonic

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic Shared

C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Roxio

C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Sonic

Once completed empty the recycle bin.

3. Remove these keys from the registry:

WARNING: THE NEXT STEP INVOLVES EDITING YOUR SYSTEM REGISTRY. WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU EXPORT

YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY EDITING. EDITING YOUR REGISTRY INCORRECTLY CAN CAUSE IRREPARABLE SYSTEM DAMAGE.

To export a copy of your registry, please do the following.

a.Go to 'Start' then 'Run', type 'regedit' and click 'OK'.

b.Locate and left click 'File' in the upper left hand corner of the Registry editor.

c.Click 'Export' (Export range All should be selected).

d.Choose a location on your hard drive and give the file a name.

e.Click 'Save' Your registry should now be backed up in a .reg file to the location you specified.

Note: if you are not familiar with editing the Registry then you may want to have someone do it for you.

Registry Edit instructions:

Select the 'Start' menu-->Select 'Run'--->Type: regedit. Click 'OK'.

Double-click the 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder' this will expand or open the folder.

(do the same for Sonic or Sonic Solutions)

Double-click the 'Hkey_Local_Machine folder' this will expand or open the folder.

(do the same for Sonic)

4. Restart

5. Download and run roxizap twice:

http://tools.roxio.com/support/tools/roxizap.exe

6. Please download, install and run Abexo Registry Cleaner to make sure that your registry is in good working order:

http://www.download.com/3001-2094_4-10434887.html

Important Note: Abexo is not a Sonic/Roxio application and as such Roxio does not offer any warranty or assistance with this application. By using this application you understand that Roxio does not assume any responsibility or liability for problems arising from its use.

7. Create a new XP Account by following these instructions:

Instructions on how to create a new account can be found at the Microsoft link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...783&sd=tech

8. Reinstall.

9. Update the Sonic Activation Module

a. Click on start, then All programs, and finally Windows Install Cleanup

b. Locate the Sonic Activation Module

c. Click on Remove

Then go to this link and download the file.

http://patches.sonic.com/techsupport/Activation.zip

Double click on the file and it will open and show an 'Activation.exe' file, double click on that to run it. Follow the prompts to install the program.

10. Update your application with the PatchApp update:

a. Go to this link and download the file.

http://patches.sonic.com/techsupport/patchapp.zip

Double click on the file and it will open and show a patchapp.exe file, double click on that to run it. Wait 5 seconds to ensure that it has run (it does so silently). Double click it again and wait for it to run. (you should have ran the patchapp.exe file twice).

11. Restart.

12. Open Videowave or MyDVD, attempt to use the application.

NO SUCCESS