rrgunn27

Life is too short for this...

Question

I have been a semi-loyal customer of Easy CD from way back but not anymore

EMC installed just fine on my Gateway running XP Home SP@. BUT only a few of the apps will even load. NONE of the ones I bought it for will - No CD creator, DVD creator, label maker, etc.. I get a generic Windows error message and invitation to report this error to Windows (thanks loads).

I should add I've never had this type of problem with any other program, even games which are notoriously finnicky when initially released.

I have no intention of spending hours scouring boards to find some type of fix for this. I'm just going to return it to Best Buy and go back to using version 8.5.

Adding insult to injury, there is not even an Uninstall program to get this junk off my computer. Had to go to Control Panel and do it manually for EACH STUPID app and hope I was not uninstalling something from the prior version that I intended to keep. When that messed up my Windows Media Player, I went to the Windows System Restore applet and reverted back to my prior status. If only it would also erase my memory of this nightmare.

Does Roxio even have a QA dept.?

Whoever released this program in its current state should be ashamed.

EMC installed just fine on my Gateway running XP Home SP@. BUT only a few of the apps will even load. NONE of the ones I bought it for will - No CD creator, DVD creator, label maker, etc.. I get a generic Windows error message and invitation to report this error to Windows (thanks loads).

I should add I've never had this type of problem with any other program, even games which are notoriously finnicky when initially released.

I have no intention of spending hours scouring boards to find some type of fix for this. I'm just going to return it to Best Buy and go back to using version 8.5.

Adding insult to injury, there is not even an Uninstall program to get this junk off my computer. Had to go to Control Panel and do it manually for EACH STUPID app and hope I was not uninstalling something from the prior version that I intended to keep. When that messed up my Windows Media Player, I went to the Windows System Restore applet and reverted back to my prior status. If only it would also erase my memory of this nightmare.

Uninstalling each app seperately is a Bill Gates requirement for Vista. This will be the case, with EMC 10, even if you have XP on your computer.

BUT only a few of the apps will even load. NONE of the ones I bought it for will - No CD creator, DVD creator, label maker, etc.. I get a generic Windows error message and invitation to report this error to Windows (thanks loads).

With all due respect, "generic Windows error message" and "few of the apps will even load" is certainly not enough information to troubleshoot.

1) What have you tried for troubleshooting already?

2) Can you give us some details on your system setup?

3) What exactly are the errors?

4) Do you have any other similar applications or suites loaded on the system?

With all due respect, "generic Windows error message" and "few of the apps will even load" is certainly not enough information to troubleshoot.

Hi John:

You have a good point here, but some of us have provided all that information without any response. I would really like to solve this problem, since I'm very used to the GUI of Roxio products, but the lack of response from people at Roxio is not very encouraging. I would have thought that by this time, Roxio should have come up with some kind of patch or improved installer to correct all of this issues. Besides, what this poster has said it's true, it's been a long time since I experienced such a difficult and bug filled installation procedure.

For myself, I'll continue to lurk around until somebody comes up with a solution for these issues.

Max - you're almost as guilty yourself of failing to provide details.

I think only one of your previous posts actually said what was happening and that was mainly in regard to EMC9

Now I don't know if you did a search on the board for the two issues - clean install and invalid CD key, but there is quite a bit of info on BOTH those issues (but you never came back to say if you'd even tried)

1. Nothing other than look through this board.

2. Gateway 700GR

Pentium 4 550 Processor 3.4 (I think) processor

ATI Radeon X300 SE video card 128 mg - PCI

Windows XP Home edition SP2

3. "(Name of app) has encountered a problem and needs to close..."

4. I do have EMC 8.5 loaded on computer as well as iTunes, and numerous other mp3 editors, etc. Never had any conflicts before.

I installed EMC 10 from the CD. Had no problems with the install.

The following applets opened with no problems:

Backon Track

Cine Player

Cine Magic

Create Panaromas

Media Import

Multi Photo Enhancer

Photo Suite

Video Wave

The following would not open:

Creator Classic

Label Creator

Sound Editor

Music Disk Creator

Video Copy & Connect

Audio Converter

Audio Tag Editor

Auto Mix

DVD Music Assistant

Easy Audio Capture

LP & Tape Assistant.

Would appreciate any help, especially since Best Buy will not take it back and I don't need a $79.95 coaster.

Max - you're almost as guilty yourself of failing to provide details.

I think only one of your previous posts actually said what was happening and that was mainly in regard to EMC9

Now I don't know if you did a search on the board for the two issues - clean install and invalid CD key, but there is quite a bit of info on BOTH those issues (but you never came back to say if you'd even tried)

Hi gi7omy:

I posted a whole different topic explaining my problems with EMC10, in that topic I posted all of my system characteristics and what my problem was. I will quote here again, but you can also find it in this link: roxio topic

I'm sorry to say that you are jumping to conclusions by saying that I didn't provide details.

In another topic I also stated that I had tried all the suggested procedures without success.

I think that we should lay aside this "childish" attitudes of trying to blame someone about the problems and instead try to work together to solve this problems.

It is obvious that there is a huge number of different systems out there, but it is my understanding that a well developed software would take this differences into account and would be able to install on different computers as long as they meet the specified requirements.

By the way, I searched for the topics that you mention, followed all the instructions that I found, but was unsuccessful in the installation.

For me its just that I cannot keep spending time to find a solution by installing, uninstalling, reinstalling, etc.

Sorry for venting, but this is a little frustrating.

Hi to all:

I have a HP Pavilion T730m Computer with the following characteristics:

Intel Pentium 4, 3.00 GHz, 1015 MB RAM, 200 GB HD Space, 32 bit OS, Windows Vista Ultimate.

Now here is my problem:

Up last Monday I had EMC9 installed and working flawlessly on my machine. Then I bought and downloaded EMC10 and proceeded to install it without uninstalling EMC9 first. During that first install the installer told me that it needed to uninstall some components from EMC9 and I told it to do so. The installation process continued and apparently it finished OK and told me to reboot my computer in order to finish. Then the trouble started, at startup there was an error message telling me that some image.png file had been found but could not be loaded; then when opening EMC10 from the icon installed on the desktop, the installer installed again and told me that it was configuring all the applications that are included in EMC10, after about 5 minutes of this process, I was able to see the EMC10 main screen but when I clicked on any application or task I get different error messages (dragon engine failed to start, directx terminated the process in an unusual way, etc) and nothing works.

After this I uninstalled in a normal way and tried to install EMC9 and it did so but when starting EMC9 I got the installer loop error again. I came to this forum looking for help and read everything about the clean uninstall, stopping of services, registry edition, etc. and tried every suggestion without success. The last error I get after all of this is that now my EMC9 installation tells me that my CD Key is invalid, so I can't even try to install it again.

In short I'm here without any of the EMC versions installed and I need them very badly to complete some pending video and DVD creation jobs. sad.gif

Sorry for the long post, but I really need help.

Edited by MadMax

Now let me get this right

You don't think you should bounce all round the board looking for solutiions, but it's perfectly fine to expect the rest of us to chase round looking for your posts?

Sorry - but, as the topic sdays, life is too short for that.

If you provided details in another thread, that's something only you would know - as far as I can see, you provided nothing except a 'me too' with no details. The easy way to provide detail;s is to go to your control panel on the board and add them to your signature - that way they get posted every time you send a message

Now that's out of the way - did you try downloading and installing the pxengine file to see if that helped wioth the dragon problem?

Also, if the installation was corrupted, you will, unfortunately, have to go throughh the clean install procedure. The Microsoft Installer that is used is notoriously inefficient at uninstalling what it put in and a lot of effort has to be spent cleaning up after it, including hunting for hidden folders in documents and settings\username\application data (which is a windows folder btw and set to hidden)

There used to be utility programs out there way back that actually monitored installations and were really efficient in removing tyhem again - unfortunately they seem to have disappeared over the years - pity that

DX problems - did you install the latest DX9 from MS and also the latest drivers (if it's ATI, do NOT use the Catalyst - just the drivers as the Catalyst 7.9 program appears to be buggy)

For the invalid CD key - check here

Now let me get this right

You don't think you should bounce all round the board looking for solutiions, but it's perfectly fine to expect the rest of us to chase round looking for your posts?

Sorry - but, as the topic sdays, life is too short for that.

If you provided details in another thread, that's something only you would know - as far as I can see, you provided nothing except a 'me too' with no details. The easy way to provide detail;s is to go to your control panel on the board and add them to your signature - that way they get posted every time you send a message

Now that's out of the way - did you try downloading and installing the pxengine file to see if that helped wioth the dragon problem?

Also, if the installation was corrupted, you will, unfortunately, have to go throughh the clean install procedure. The Microsoft Installer that is used is notoriously inefficient at uninstalling what it put in and a lot of effort has to be spent cleaning up after it, including hunting for hidden folders in documents and settings\username\application data (which is a windows folder btw and set to hidden)

There used to be utility programs out there way back that actually monitored installations and were really efficient in removing tyhem again - unfortunately they seem to have disappeared over the years - pity that

DX problems - did you install the latest DX9 from MS and also the latest drivers (if it's ATI, do NOT use the Catalyst - just the drivers as the Catalyst 7.9 program appears to be buggy)

For the invalid CD key - check here

Hey gi7omy:

As you say, just to get this out of the way, before posting "the me too" posting I had posted a full topic without getting a really satisfactory answer.

I will try what you suggest here, but really it's getting to get very tiresome this install, uninstall, reinstall, install, uninstall, reinstall ad infinitum.

I really hope that Roxio comes up with some kind of update to solve this problems soon.

Take care.

do you have a link to the source of this information? i'm interested in reading it. thanks

and FYI, I have Windows XP, not Vista.

and FYI, I have Windows XP, not Vista.
It doesn't make a difference which operating system it's being installed in, it still lists all of the apps like that since those individual listings are required for a program as part of the Vista Certification process.

I agree completeley with you. After trying for three days, going back to the store to exchange the program thinking there was something wrong with it and even calling support at a time that was conveneint for them, not me, I finally was able to install it. But, I practicly had to shut down every single process on my computer to be able to do it. You're right, life is too short. I have better things to do than figure out how to install a progam let alone figure out how to use it. Even after I installed it, it runs extremely slow and some apps won't even work. My only question for you is, how did you get Best Buy to refund your money? I thought they would not take returns on software. Please let me know because I an about the uninstall this program and return it to somebody. Roxio has been nothing but headaches. Please advise.

"..I practicly had to shut down every single process on my computer to be able to do it..."

That is standard procedure for installing ANY software - just about every app I can think of comes with a notice when you start to install it to do just that.

I agree completeley with you. After trying for three days, going back to the store to exchange the program thinking there was something wrong with it and even calling support at a time that was conveneint for them, not me, I finally was able to install it. But, I practicly had to shut down every single process on my computer to be able to do it. You're right, life is too short. I have better things to do than figure out how to install a progam let alone figure out how to use it. Even after I installed it, it runs extremely slow and some apps won't even work. My only question for you is, how did you get Best Buy to refund your money? I thought they would not take returns on software. Please let me know because I an about the uninstall this program and return it to somebody. Roxio has been nothing but headaches. Please advise.

If you had to shut down a lot of processes to install, then you have too many resource hogs running on your computer, and they should be shut down until you need them. Shutting down programs, running in the background, is what should be done before installing ANY new software.

Go to Start/Run and type in msconfig. Click on the Startup tab, and uncheck any Roxio items that you see, click Apply, ok, then reboot. Put a check in the nag box that pops up at startup, so it doesn't come up each time that you reboot.

This should speed up the running of the programs.

If you had to shut down a lot of processes to install, then you have too many resource hogs running on your computer, and they should be shut down until you need them. Shutting down programs, running in the background, is what should be done before installing ANY new software.

Go to Start/Run and type in msconfig. Click on the Startup tab, and uncheck any Roxio items that you see, click Apply, ok, then reboot. Put a check in the nag box that pops up at startup, so it doesn't come up each time that you reboot.

This should speed up the running of the programs.

I understand this but this is the only program that I have ever had this problem with. It's just not worth the trouble.

I understand this but this is the only program that I have ever had this problem with. It's just not worth the trouble.

Good grief!

I suppose by extension, running spyware and anti-virus sweeps as well as defragmenting the hard drive would be totally uncalled for - sheesh, not only can some people not READ notices, they think a computer is smart enough to do everything for them

I suppose by extension, running spyware and anti-virus sweeps as well as defragmenting the hard drive would be totally uncalled for - sheesh, not only can some people not READ notices, they think a computer is smart enough to do everything for them

He's just not worth the trouble. ;);)

CowBoyimage.gif Walk Away Renée... :lol:

cd

yeah, i guess you're supposed to have trouble with things you buy. You're supposed to have your car not start the first time you try to pull it out of you driveway. <_< Remember that not all of us have the time to be sitting at a computer for three hours trying to start a program that cost $100 to begin with and then have it not work like it's tupposed to.

Maybe they should print that on the box, "Will work if you are willing to put in the time to figure it out" ;)

I guess my gripe is that as a consumer, I expect better. And why shouldn't I? I bought the software, it should work. Isn't that the way things usually work? Don't get me wrong, I had Roxio 6 and thought it worked great. But this "new and improved version" is for the birds. I am going to try my best to return it.

Disappointing to see all this rudeness when a user asks for help.

Did you have any Adaptec versions of EasyCD Creator installed at any time on your PC? I did, and until I discovered this, the so-called "Clean Installation" didn't work - I was trying to upgrade from EasyCD Creator 5 to EMC10.

The reason the clean installation didn't work for me is that there are directories and registry keys referring to Adaptec - which was the name of the supplier before Roxio acquired them (or changed the name?). These directories and registry keys need to be removed as well. If you don't, startup continues to load bits of software from these old directories, which muck up the running of EMC10.

Most installed software that I've ever used automatically cleans up and removes older versions, especially if those versions conflict or are in some way incompatible with the new version. The Roxio installer does not do this, even though there are major conflicts if earlier versions are still installed or running. Fine, but where is the clear warning in the installation instructions that earlier versions need to be removed first? Non-existent, as far as I'm aware. Not very professional, IMHO...

I have suggested in another thread that Roxio update the "Clean Installation" instructions, but I'm not holding my breath.

Good luck.

Edited by Jacob Marley

[snip]

Disappointing to see all this rudeness when a user asks for help.

Good luck.

What rudeness? Suggestions were given on what may help duarte1980. He decided it was too much trouble.

Best Buy would not give me a refund since it had been opened so I am completely out of luck.

My problem was not with the installation but with getting most of the components to run after installation. The only help I've gotten from Roxio thus far is some generic suggestions like update my video drivers, etc. I've done that and some of the other suggestions but haven't re-installed the disk yet. Was hoping there might be some kind of patch by this time but since it appears there is none forthcoming, I guess I'll dive in and do all the tinkering they suggest and hope it doesn't screw my machine up.

This reminds me of the old DOS days when every time you bought a game for your PC, you had to go in and edit your autoexec.bat and config.sys files. I thought we were beyond that....

RGunn - the reason for the video driver suggestions is that the program uses the graphics card for rendering video and does need it working flat out, hence up to date drivers (along with an up to date Direct X).

Usually that's enough to get it running (unless you use software rendering) but you should be aware that there are graphics systems in machines that just can't cope with the demands made on them by the program. You may be able to get those to work in software and not in hardware