• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

rrgunn27

Life is too short for this...

Question

I have been a semi-loyal customer of Easy CD from way back but not anymore

EMC installed just fine on my Gateway running XP Home SP@. BUT only a few of the apps will even load. NONE of the ones I bought it for will - No CD creator, DVD creator, label maker, etc.. I get a generic Windows error message and invitation to report this error to Windows (thanks loads).

I should add I've never had this type of problem with any other program, even games which are notoriously finnicky when initially released.

I have no intention of spending hours scouring boards to find some type of fix for this. I'm just going to return it to Best Buy and go back to using version 8.5.

Adding insult to injury, there is not even an Uninstall program to get this junk off my computer. Had to go to Control Panel and do it manually for EACH STUPID app and hope I was not uninstalling something from the prior version that I intended to keep. When that messed up my Windows Media Player, I went to the Windows System Restore applet and reverted back to my prior status. If only it would also erase my memory of this nightmare.

Does Roxio even have a QA dept.?

Whoever released this program in its current state should be ashamed.

RGunn - the reason for the video driver suggestions is that the program uses the graphics card for rendering video and does need it working flat out, hence up to date drivers (along with an up to date Direct X).

Usually that's enough to get it running (unless you use software rendering) but you should be aware that there are graphics systems in machines that just can't cope with the demands made on them by the program. You may be able to get those to work in software and not in hardware

Not sure what that means but I have a 128 MB ATI something or other card. It was original to computer so I'm sure its not a high end card.

Is that enough hardware?

Hard to say - right click on the desktop and go to properties, settings and it should tell you there what sort of card it is

Some of the 'LE' ones have been known to cause problems

Hard to say - right click on the desktop and go to properties, settings and it should tell you there what sort of card it is

Some of the 'LE' ones have been known to cause problems

Actually, I think my video card is an "LE". Does that mean I'm out of luck? Or is there any solution.

And, seriously, is there a patch in the works? If not, howcum?

You could try the latest drivers from ATI as wella s the Direct X from MS - then use software rendering. Try making an image file first (on the hard drive) and then double click that to do the burn (splitting the process in two). You will lose a lot of the transition effects with software rendering but short of a far better graphics card, that's it I'm afraid

You could try the latest drivers from ATI as wella s the Direct X from MS - then use software rendering. Try making an image file first (on the hard drive) and then double click that to do the burn (splitting the process in two). You will lose a lot of the transition effects with software rendering but short of a far better graphics card, that's it I'm afraid

OK, I'm with you on the display drivers. What do you mean by "the Direct X from MS"? The latest version of Direct X?.

Then, you totally lost me when you talk about usijng software rendering, making an image file, do the burn, transition effects, etc.

Sorry, I know I'm a dumbass but all I'm trying to do is get the program(s) to run on my computer. I'm going to try to re-install this weekend with the new video drivers.

OK, I'm with you on the display drivers. What do you mean by "the Direct X from MS"? The latest version of Direct X?.

Then, you totally lost me when you talk about usijng software rendering, making an image file, do the burn, transition effects, etc.

Sorry, I know I'm a dumbass but all I'm trying to do is get the program(s) to run on my computer. I'm going to try to re-install this weekend with the new video drivers.

Go to this link for the latest version of DirectX for your computer - it's free.

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/About.../DirectX10.aspx

Check the OPTIONS under Tools menu. At the top are the hardware and software rendering options. You can also retest your graphics card (should have occurred when you first started MyDVD).

Edited by MarkR

Go to this link for the latest version of DirectX for your computer - it's free.

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/About.../DirectX10.aspx

Check the OPTIONS under Tools menu. At the top are the hardware and software rendering options. You can also retest your graphics card (should have occurred when you first started MyDVD).

Thanks - I'll try that. :)

DirectX - yes, get the latest from Microsoft

Software Rendering - open Videowave, go to Tools, Options and there should be a tick box to select hardware or software rendering

Well, I guess I'll just chime in here since my attempt at a new topic was stricken from the forum (frankly, I'm a little surprised I haven't been banned from the site for having the temerity to accuse Sonic of producing bad software).

Anyway, after my initial days of frustration, I’ve spent another 8 hours following all the advice I’ve found here. I even went so far as to use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove everything from the installer DB. After removing every vestige of Roxio or Sonic from my Vista Ultimate machine and starting with an empty Windows Installer DB, I waded through the 40 minutes required to install EMC 10 with exactly the same results…

Error at boot up from the Tray program, Dragon errors, Disc Copy tells me to reinstall and my favorite part, Media Creator Home calling up the Window Installer for another 20 minutes worth of “gathering information” before it insists on a reboot and I start the whole process again until I’m fed up and uninstall for the final time and begin the refund process.

For the record, after this debacle, I managed to install Office 2007, Sony Vegas 7, Sony Sound Forge, Adobe Photoshop, Office SharePoint designer, Web Expressions, Microsoft Streets and Trips, and Corel PaintShop Pro all without a single problem.

So please, tell us all again how we just don’t have the patience to do what is necessary. Tell me how I’ve come in with a chip on my shoulder just because I don’t believe that a $40 program should cost me $1000 worth of personal hours in troubleshooting before it’s ever even installed correctly.

So please, tell us all again how we just don’t have the patience to do what is necessary. Tell me how I’ve come in with a chip on my shoulder just because I don’t believe that a $40 program should cost me $1000 worth of personal hours in troubleshooting before it’s ever even installed correctly.

Send your bill to Roxio. ;)

I understand this but this is the only program that I have ever had this problem with. It's just not worth the trouble.

It might help you to know there are other programmes that insist on closing all sorts of background tasks before allowing the installation to proceed.

Paperport 11 is the worst I've come across so far and there are tasks that have to be shut down before others can follow. Roxio in my experience was a doddle to install.

I'm running Vista and have installed without a problem. Yes I had to hit the old crl - alt - del keys a few times but that's virtually normality these days.

These boards are a constant help with advice and tips and sometimes it appears the answers can be a bit terse, but I've a lot of sympathy for people trying to assist with only half a story.

I had issues with version 9 but the patch eventually sorted that out and I decided to try 10. Pleased I did.

Try the Nero 8 demo and you'll be back to Roxio EMC 10 in a flash. Horribly, slow and flakey. imho :)

It might help you to know there are other programmes that insist on closing all sorts of background tasks before allowing the installation to proceed.

Paperport 11 is the worst I've come across so far ......

Must be a user specific thing. PaperPort can be a pig, but I haven't seen that many reports of the sort of behaviour that you describe.

And it has never been such a dog in action as EMC10.

What would make EMC10 really painful is the activation process that Nuance has imposed on PaperPort.

And Nuance managed to shut down its self support forum for 18 months, so users of PP11 had to resort to a Yahoo! group for consolation and help.

He's just not worth the trouble. ;);)

I have been a computer programmer for more than 20 years. I have written dozens of programs. Program for Vista daily, and have never had the problems that EMC9 caused me ever before. Less finger pointing and more quality assurance is needed by Roxio, and you guys have to lighten up. Life is to short

Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP #3488079)

Microsoft Certified Application Developer (MCAD)

Microsoft Certified Solution Developer (MCSD)

1. Nothing other than look through this board.

2. Gateway 700GR

Pentium 4 550 Processor 3.4 (I think) processor

ATI Radeon X300 SE video card 128 mg - PCI

Windows XP Home edition SP2

3. "(Name of app) has encountered a problem and needs to close..."

4. I do have EMC 8.5 loaded on computer as well as iTunes, and numerous other mp3 editors, etc. Never had any conflicts before.

I installed EMC 10 from the CD. Had no problems with the install.

The following applets opened with no problems:

Backon Track

Cine Player

Cine Magic

Create Panaromas

Media Import

Multi Photo Enhancer

Photo Suite

Video Wave

The following would not open:

Creator Classic

Label Creator

Sound Editor

Music Disk Creator

Video Copy & Connect

Audio Converter

Audio Tag Editor

Auto Mix

DVD Music Assistant

Easy Audio Capture

LP & Tape Assistant.

Would appreciate any help, especially since Best Buy will not take it back and I don't need a $79.95 coaster.

Update: I downloaded and installed new video drivers, DirectX 10, disabled all startup programs and started a clean install.

It installed without out a hitch BUT nothing changed. All of the above listed programs refuse to run and all I get is the generic "Windows has closed this program..."

I've had it and apparently there is no remedy. Best Buy, which ordinarily has a very liberal return policy will not take it back because it is opened software. Roxio apparently won't take it back because I didn't buy it from them.

So my only option is to cease being a customer of Roxio. (I have previously ungraded since the Adaptec days on every other release.) I'm also going to tell all my friends of my experience.

Cannot believe Roxio won't own this problem and either do a recall or offer refund or patches. They deserve to go out of business.

Edited by rrgunn27

Actually, closing down running programs is very common. Just about every software app going advises that you do this prior to installation (most people just ignore that warning and pay as much attention to it as the EULA that they all agree to :lol: )

ATI Radeon X300 SE video card 128 mg - PCI

Update: I downloaded and installed new video drivers, DirectX 10

You ATI Video Card is a Direct X 9 card!!!

The ATI Radeon X300 SE is a budget PCI Express (PCIe) graphics card that offers full DirectX 9.0 3D graphics support and the ability to output video to your television for roughly $60. ATI manages this low price at the expense of performance, but if you're not a heavy gamer, the X300 SE provides modern 3D rendering and video capabilities on the cheap.

The good: Inexpensive; flexible driver software; certain retail packages let you use two monitors at once.

The bad: Must run newer games at low detail; borrows from main system memory, which could hurt overall performance on machines with less than 512MB of RAM.

The bottom line: ATI's Radeon X300 SE will satisfy users looking for a good basic 2D video card, but spend a few more bucks if 3D is important to you.

cd

You ATI Video Card is a Direct X 9 card!!!

The ATI Radeon X300 SE is a budget PCI Express (PCIe) graphics card that offers full DirectX 9.0 3D graphics support and the ability to output video to your television for roughly $60. ATI manages this low price at the expense of performance, but if you're not a heavy gamer, the X300 SE provides modern 3D rendering and video capabilities on the cheap.

The good: Inexpensive; flexible driver software; certain retail packages let you use two monitors at once.

The bad: Must run newer games at low detail; borrows from main system memory, which could hurt overall performance on machines with less than 512MB of RAM.

The bottom line: ATI's Radeon X300 SE will satisfy users looking for a good basic 2D video card, but spend a few more bucks if 3D is important to you.

cd

So do you think "backgrading" to DirectX 9 will help? If so, how is that done?

(I don't care about games. Also, I have no intention of buying a new video card to run one non-gaming software suite.)

Edited by rrgunn27

So do you think "backgrading" to DirectX 9 will help? If so, how is that done?

(I don't care about games. Also, I have no intention of buying a new video card to run one non-gaming software suite.)

I'm not sure what effects if any Direct X 10 will have with a DX9 card.

Your ATI video driver, I would think would be different for a DX 10 card.

I only update for the hardware I have.

There is no "backgrading" according to Microsoft.

The DirectX runtime cannot be uninstalled. We recommend Windows Me and Windows XP users turn on a "System Restore" point before installing.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

cd

CD - just a thought - isn't DirectX 10 the Vista version and 9 the one for XP?

That could be at least part of the problem (installing the incorrect version)

For the record, I had the same problems before I installed DirectX 10.

Vista will not let you install Version 9, as it comes with Version 10. It just tells you a newer version is already installed, and then quits.

Vista will not let you install Version 9, as it comes with Version 10. It just tells you a newer version is already installed, and then quits.

The OP was saying he installed 10 on XP - not 9 on Vista