Life is too short for this...

rrgunn27

Question

I have been a semi-loyal customer of Easy CD from way back but not anymore

EMC installed just fine on my Gateway running XP Home SP@. BUT only a few of the apps will even load. NONE of the ones I bought it for will - No CD creator, DVD creator, label maker, etc.. I get a generic Windows error message and invitation to report this error to Windows (thanks loads).

I should add I've never had this type of problem with any other program, even games which are notoriously finnicky when initially released.

I have no intention of spending hours scouring boards to find some type of fix for this. I'm just going to return it to Best Buy and go back to using version 8.5.

Adding insult to injury, there is not even an Uninstall program to get this junk off my computer. Had to go to Control Panel and do it manually for EACH STUPID app and hope I was not uninstalling something from the prior version that I intended to keep. When that messed up my Windows Media Player, I went to the Windows System Restore applet and reverted back to my prior status. If only it would also erase my memory of this nightmare.

Does Roxio even have a QA dept.?

Whoever released this program in its current state should be ashamed.

• Answers 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's just not worth the trouble. ;);)

I have been a computer programmer for more than 20 years. I have written dozens of programs. Program for Vista daily, and have never had the problems that EMC9 caused me ever before. Less finger pointing and more quality assurance is needed by Roxio, and you guys have to lighten up. Life is to short

Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP #3488079)

Microsoft Certified Application Developer (MCAD)

Microsoft Certified Solution Developer (MCSD)

1. Nothing other than look through this board.

2. Gateway 700GR

Pentium 4 550 Processor 3.4 (I think) processor

ATI Radeon X300 SE video card 128 mg - PCI

Windows XP Home edition SP2

3. "(Name of app) has encountered a problem and needs to close..."

4. I do have EMC 8.5 loaded on computer as well as iTunes, and numerous other mp3 editors, etc. Never had any conflicts before.

I installed EMC 10 from the CD. Had no problems with the install.

The following applets opened with no problems:

Backon Track

Cine Player

Cine Magic

Create Panaromas

Media Import

Multi Photo Enhancer

Photo Suite

Video Wave

The following would not open:

Creator Classic

Label Creator

Sound Editor

Music Disk Creator

Video Copy & Connect

Audio Converter

Audio Tag Editor

Auto Mix

DVD Music Assistant

Easy Audio Capture

LP & Tape Assistant.

Would appreciate any help, especially since Best Buy will not take it back and I don't need a $79.95 coaster.

Update: I downloaded and installed new video drivers, DirectX 10, disabled all startup programs and started a clean install.

It installed without out a hitch BUT nothing changed. All of the above listed programs refuse to run and all I get is the generic "Windows has closed this program..."

I've had it and apparently there is no remedy. Best Buy, which ordinarily has a very liberal return policy will not take it back because it is opened software. Roxio apparently won't take it back because I didn't buy it from them.

So my only option is to cease being a customer of Roxio. (I have previously ungraded since the Adaptec days on every other release.) I'm also going to tell all my friends of my experience.

Cannot believe Roxio won't own this problem and either do a recall or offer refund or patches. They deserve to go out of business.

Actually, closing down running programs is very common. Just about every software app going advises that you do this prior to installation (most people just ignore that warning and pay as much attention to it as the EULA that they all agree to :lol: )

ATI Radeon X300 SE video card 128 mg - PCI

Update: I downloaded and installed new video drivers, DirectX 10

You ATI Video Card is a Direct X 9 card!!!

The ATI Radeon X300 SE is a budget PCI Express (PCIe) graphics card that offers full DirectX 9.0 3D graphics support and the ability to output video to your television for roughly $60. ATI manages this low price at the expense of performance, but if you're not a heavy gamer, the X300 SE provides modern 3D rendering and video capabilities on the cheap.

The good: Inexpensive; flexible driver software; certain retail packages let you use two monitors at once.

The bad: Must run newer games at low detail; borrows from main system memory, which could hurt overall performance on machines with less than 512MB of RAM.

The bottom line: ATI's Radeon X300 SE will satisfy users looking for a good basic 2D video card, but spend a few more bucks if 3D is important to you.

cd

You ATI Video Card is a Direct X 9 card!!!

The ATI Radeon X300 SE is a budget PCI Express (PCIe) graphics card that offers full DirectX 9.0 3D graphics support and the ability to output video to your television for roughly $60. ATI manages this low price at the expense of performance, but if you're not a heavy gamer, the X300 SE provides modern 3D rendering and video capabilities on the cheap.

The good: Inexpensive; flexible driver software; certain retail packages let you use two monitors at once.

The bad: Must run newer games at low detail; borrows from main system memory, which could hurt overall performance on machines with less than 512MB of RAM.

The bottom line: ATI's Radeon X300 SE will satisfy users looking for a good basic 2D video card, but spend a few more bucks if 3D is important to you.

cd

So do you think "backgrading" to DirectX 9 will help? If so, how is that done?

(I don't care about games. Also, I have no intention of buying a new video card to run one non-gaming software suite.)

and FYI, I have Windows XP, not Vista.
It doesn't make a difference which operating system it's being installed in, it still lists all of the apps like that since those individual listings are required for a program as part of the Vista Certification process.

BUT only a few of the apps will even load. NONE of the ones I bought it for will - No CD creator, DVD creator, label maker, etc.. I get a generic Windows error message and invitation to report this error to Windows (thanks loads).

With all due respect, "generic Windows error message" and "few of the apps will even load" is certainly not enough information to troubleshoot.

1) What have you tried for troubleshooting already?

2) Can you give us some details on your system setup?

3) What exactly are the errors?

4) Do you have any other similar applications or suites loaded on the system?

Disappointing to see all this rudeness when a user asks for help.

Did you have any Adaptec versions of EasyCD Creator installed at any time on your PC? I did, and until I discovered this, the so-called "Clean Installation" didn't work - I was trying to upgrade from EasyCD Creator 5 to EMC10.

The reason the clean installation didn't work for me is that there are directories and registry keys referring to Adaptec - which was the name of the supplier before Roxio acquired them (or changed the name?). These directories and registry keys need to be removed as well. If you don't, startup continues to load bits of software from these old directories, which muck up the running of EMC10.

Most installed software that I've ever used automatically cleans up and removes older versions, especially if those versions conflict or are in some way incompatible with the new version. The Roxio installer does not do this, even though there are major conflicts if earlier versions are still installed or running. Fine, but where is the clear warning in the installation instructions that earlier versions need to be removed first? Non-existent, as far as I'm aware. Not very professional, IMHO...

I have suggested in another thread that Roxio update the "Clean Installation" instructions, but I'm not holding my breath.

Good luck.

So do you think "backgrading" to DirectX 9 will help? If so, how is that done?

(I don't care about games. Also, I have no intention of buying a new video card to run one non-gaming software suite.)

I'm not sure what effects if any Direct X 10 will have with a DX9 card.

Your ATI video driver, I would think would be different for a DX 10 card.

I only update for the hardware I have.

There is no "backgrading" according to Microsoft.

The DirectX runtime cannot be uninstalled. We recommend Windows Me and Windows XP users turn on a "System Restore" point before installing.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

cd

CD - just a thought - isn't DirectX 10 the Vista version and 9 the one for XP?

That could be at least part of the problem (installing the incorrect version)

Vista will not let you install Version 9, as it comes with Version 10. It just tells you a newer version is already installed, and then quits.

I agree completeley with you. After trying for three days, going back to the store to exchange the program thinking there was something wrong with it and even calling support at a time that was conveneint for them, not me, I finally was able to install it. But, I practicly had to shut down every single process on my computer to be able to do it. You're right, life is too short. I have better things to do than figure out how to install a progam let alone figure out how to use it. Even after I installed it, it runs extremely slow and some apps won't even work. My only question for you is, how did you get Best Buy to refund your money? I thought they would not take returns on software. Please let me know because I an about the uninstall this program and return it to somebody. Roxio has been nothing but headaches. Please advise.

Best Buy would not give me a refund since it had been opened so I am completely out of luck.

My problem was not with the installation but with getting most of the components to run after installation. The only help I've gotten from Roxio thus far is some generic suggestions like update my video drivers, etc. I've done that and some of the other suggestions but haven't re-installed the disk yet. Was hoping there might be some kind of patch by this time but since it appears there is none forthcoming, I guess I'll dive in and do all the tinkering they suggest and hope it doesn't screw my machine up.

This reminds me of the old DOS days when every time you bought a game for your PC, you had to go in and edit your autoexec.bat and config.sys files. I thought we were beyond that....

Must be a user specific thing. PaperPort can be a pig, but I haven't seen that many reports of the sort of behaviour that you describe.

And it has never been such a dog in action as EMC10.

What would make EMC10 really painful is the activation process that Nuance has imposed on PaperPort.

And Nuance managed to shut down its self support forum for 18 months, so users of PP11 had to resort to a Yahoo! group for consolation and help.

When PP11 came out their usergroup forum's went loopy because Nuance decided you could only activate on one machine at a time. Seems in the past you could use it on one machine at a time which was a slight difference. They changed that, and I think you can activate it on two machine as the argument was most people have laptops as well these days. If you ever decide to change a hard drive you've got to uninstall to release the key. And, if you decide to install PP11, it automatically installs PDF Create 4 and I can't find a way of stopping that happening.

I've installed it several times as I'm always messing about with mobo's n stuff and every time I've had to search through stuff running in the background to switch it off. Don't try installing with an anti virus suite running. Screws up big time.

There's other stuff such as NOF 9 and 10 that can have problems when installing and the NOF 10 help is virtually non existent.

The point I was trying to make is don't think EMC is the only programme with install issues as there's just too many different configurations of PC to cater for.

Anybody know how to get my Dazzle DVC100 capture card to work in Vista? Just joking!!!

In the UK the reviews for EMC10 have been excellent and if they give this programme good support it's well worth the outlay

I do have EMC 8.5 loaded on computer as well as iTunes, and numerous other mp3 editors, etc. Never had any conflicts before.

rrgunn27

Do all the app's in version 8 work? Roxio EMC 8 last version # is 8.05 for the Retail Suite.

cd

RGunn - the reason for the video driver suggestions is that the program uses the graphics card for rendering video and does need it working flat out, hence up to date drivers (along with an up to date Direct X).

Usually that's enough to get it running (unless you use software rendering) but you should be aware that there are graphics systems in machines that just can't cope with the demands made on them by the program. You may be able to get those to work in software and not in hardware

rrgunn27

Do all the app's in version 8 work? Roxio EMC 8 last version # is 8.05 for the Retail Suite.

cd

Yes, I think. (Not sure I've used all.) And I've actually got EMC 8.5 Mainly I use the ones having to do with making music CDs, DVDs, editing video, recording streaming audio, making labels. Don't use the backukp or photo apps at all but think they run.

rrgunn27,

I would clean uninstall v8 & v10, did V 8.5 come with the PC?

Then reinstall v10 with the clean install instructions.

Open Videowave after the install and run the encoding test under tools. You might have to run it in software mode with your card.

cd

Archived