• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Life is too short for this...

rrgunn27

Question

I have been a semi-loyal customer of Easy CD from way back but not anymore

EMC installed just fine on my Gateway running XP Home SP@. BUT only a few of the apps will even load. NONE of the ones I bought it for will - No CD creator, DVD creator, label maker, etc.. I get a generic Windows error message and invitation to report this error to Windows (thanks loads).

I should add I've never had this type of problem with any other program, even games which are notoriously finnicky when initially released.

I have no intention of spending hours scouring boards to find some type of fix for this. I'm just going to return it to Best Buy and go back to using version 8.5.

Adding insult to injury, there is not even an Uninstall program to get this junk off my computer. Had to go to Control Panel and do it manually for EACH STUPID app and hope I was not uninstalling something from the prior version that I intended to keep. When that messed up my Windows Media Player, I went to the Windows System Restore applet and reverted back to my prior status. If only it would also erase my memory of this nightmare.

Does Roxio even have a QA dept.?

Whoever released this program in its current state should be ashamed.

• Answers 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RGunn - the reason for the video driver suggestions is that the program uses the graphics card for rendering video and does need it working flat out, hence up to date drivers (along with an up to date Direct X).

Usually that's enough to get it running (unless you use software rendering) but you should be aware that there are graphics systems in machines that just can't cope with the demands made on them by the program. You may be able to get those to work in software and not in hardware

Not sure what that means but I have a 128 MB ATI something or other card. It was original to computer so I'm sure its not a high end card.

Is that enough hardware?

cubelodyte1st try this and see if it helps

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=27807

Highlander, thanks for the effort. It seems a handy utility but it did not avail me. Ultimately, for various other reasons, I decided to take the plunge and make a clean install of Vista. This solved all the Roxio install problems.

I don't recommend this approach and still consider it unacceptable given EMC is the only software I own that makes such demands. However, I tend to flush my systems annually and for my purposes, I am finally up and running with Roxio.

I have been a semi-loyal customer of Easy CD from way back but not anymore

EMC installed just fine on my Gateway running XP Home SP@. BUT only a few of the apps will even load. NONE of the ones I bought it for will - No CD creator, DVD creator, label maker, etc.. I get a generic Windows error message and invitation to report this error to Windows (thanks loads).

I should add I've never had this type of problem with any other program, even games which are notoriously finnicky when initially released.

I have no intention of spending hours scouring boards to find some type of fix for this. I'm just going to return it to Best Buy and go back to using version 8.5.

Adding insult to injury, there is not even an Uninstall program to get this junk off my computer. Had to go to Control Panel and do it manually for EACH STUPID app and hope I was not uninstalling something from the prior version that I intended to keep. When that messed up my Windows Media Player, I went to the Windows System Restore applet and reverted back to my prior status. If only it would also erase my memory of this nightmare.

Does Roxio even have a QA dept.?

Whoever released this program in its current state should be ashamed.

I agree completeley with you. After trying for three days, going back to the store to exchange the program thinking there was something wrong with it and even calling support at a time that was conveneint for them, not me, I finally was able to install it. But, I practicly had to shut down every single process on my computer to be able to do it. You're right, life is too short. I have better things to do than figure out how to install a progam let alone figure out how to use it. Even after I installed it, it runs extremely slow and some apps won't even work. My only question for you is, how did you get Best Buy to refund your money? I thought they would not take returns on software. Please let me know because I an about the uninstall this program and return it to somebody. Roxio has been nothing but headaches. Please advise.

"..I practicly had to shut down every single process on my computer to be able to do it..."

That is standard procedure for installing ANY software - just about every app I can think of comes with a notice when you start to install it to do just that.

I agree completeley with you. After trying for three days, going back to the store to exchange the program thinking there was something wrong with it and even calling support at a time that was conveneint for them, not me, I finally was able to install it. But, I practicly had to shut down every single process on my computer to be able to do it. You're right, life is too short. I have better things to do than figure out how to install a progam let alone figure out how to use it. Even after I installed it, it runs extremely slow and some apps won't even work. My only question for you is, how did you get Best Buy to refund your money? I thought they would not take returns on software. Please let me know because I an about the uninstall this program and return it to somebody. Roxio has been nothing but headaches. Please advise.

If you had to shut down a lot of processes to install, then you have too many resource hogs running on your computer, and they should be shut down until you need them. Shutting down programs, running in the background, is what should be done before installing ANY new software.

Go to Start/Run and type in msconfig. Click on the Startup tab, and uncheck any Roxio items that you see, click Apply, ok, then reboot. Put a check in the nag box that pops up at startup, so it doesn't come up each time that you reboot.

This should speed up the running of the programs.

If you had to shut down a lot of processes to install, then you have too many resource hogs running on your computer, and they should be shut down until you need them. Shutting down programs, running in the background, is what should be done before installing ANY new software.

Go to Start/Run and type in msconfig. Click on the Startup tab, and uncheck any Roxio items that you see, click Apply, ok, then reboot. Put a check in the nag box that pops up at startup, so it doesn't come up each time that you reboot.

This should speed up the running of the programs.

I understand this but this is the only program that I have ever had this problem with. It's just not worth the trouble.

Archived