pestoking

DVD plays in standalone; appears "blank" in any PC

Question

A friend made a DVD video using Roxio Media Creator 9 and mailed me the disk. It plays fine on a standalone DVD player, but I can't play it or open it on a PC. In other words, it shows up as a blank, unformatted disk. No VIDEO_TS folder present. Nothing. Personally, I use other software (Nero, Pinnacle), so this doesn't make much sense that you can create a DVD that plays on standalone decks but is invisible to a PC. Nero and Pinnacle both create DVD videos that are PC readable/playable.

The only thing that I can think is Roxio employs some kind of finalize (make compatible) scheme. I asked my friend to see if there was a finalize command -- or something related to "make compatible" (which I have read about in the Roxio knowledge base.) But unfortunately she is a bit technologically challenged and cannot determine how else to make a disk or change a disk.

So, my questions:

1) Does Roxio make disks in stages, requiring a finalize step if you want to open DVDs on a PC (vs. a standalone deck)? Side question: what is the purpose of this? Add more data later?

2) If the above answer is YES, then can I take a disk that has not been "finalized" and finalize it? In other words, if I have the Roxio 9 software on MY computer, could I take this disk and make it play/read on a PC. What do I need to do?

3) If a disk already created can't be finalized after the fact, what does my friend need to do to produce a disk that can be read/played on a PC?

Thanks.

P.S. There is a lot of discussion on this forum about bad media. I don't think this is the case and IME the problem is not the media or brand, but a bad burn caused by a "hiccup" in the computer/burner during the burn phase. Bad physical media (I have burned thousands of disks using all brands, plus or minus) is very, very rare.

Edited by pestoking

Do you even have Creator 9 (2006-2007)???

I doubt there is a PC made that can't read all disc types.

What is it that you have on this disc? - is it an Authored disc or just some files you put on a disc?

Yes, I have creator 9 and cyber link

doneal,

You haven't mentioned the model of your computer burner drive, but in earlier days there were drives which were very choosy about the type of disc they would read.

If I was you, I'd be inclined to go out and get a modern DVD burner drive for your computer for $20 to $40, rather than buying a duplicator tower for hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

Regards,

Brendon

Do you even have Creator 9 (2006-2007)???

I doubt there is a PC made that can't read all disc types.

What is it that you have on this disc? - is it an Authored disc or just some files you put on a disc?

old home movies and other recordings made with a RCA camcorder

doneal,

You haven't mentioned the model of your computer burner drive, but in earlier days there were drives which were very choosy about the type of disc they would read.

If I was you, I'd be inclined to go out and get a modern DVD burner drive for your computer for $20 to $40, rather than buying a duplicator tower for hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

Regards,

Brendon

I have two computers a new dell win 10 and an older e-machine they both give the message that the disk is blank

Is this a disc finalization issue? Puti the disc in your drive and use Windows to explore it. What do you see on the disc? If you have a smart TV. it may play some files but the computer may not be able to work with them.

Yes, it's finalized, When I put it in the computers, they think its blank and doesnt show anything. but they are not blank they play just fine in the dvd player.

When you're running Easy Media Creator 9 and you run Tools > Disc Information, what result do you get for one of those discs?

It should be something like this.

post-208-0-87320100-1476684057_thumb.jpg

Can you show us a screenshot, please?

Yes, it's finalized, When I put it in the computers, they think its blank and doesnt show anything. but they are not blank they play just fine in the dvd player.

This gets better yet - NO dvd-rw can be finalized...

It's not the DVD rw that wont work. It's the DVD r that work. I'm able to open and view the DVD rw. When I copied the vhs tape to the DVD r , when it was done I believe there was a message stating writing lead. I just assumed that was the finalized ? just not sure.

, when it was done I believe there was a message stating writing lead. I just assumed that was the finalized ? just not sure.

Discs have lead-in and lead-out, and sometimes several of each.

Can you show us that screenshot please? Then we won't have to assume anything.

I found the problem it is unfinalized I have six more disk that are DVD-R that are the same way. Is there anyway I can copy them so I can view them on the computer?

post-130729-0-41028800-1477443311_thumb.jpg

Please refer to the screenshot above, in my message post #33.

Run Tools > Disc Information, and see if that utility considers the disc open. If it does, then run Tools > Finalize disc. That should finalize the disc for you.

Regards,

Brendon

Sure sounds like a VR disc format...

post-39730-0-77532300-1477477792_thumb.jpg

If that is true you will have to Finalize the disc in the DVD Recorder that made it. You can try it in Roxio but I doubt it will do it :(

We still can't tell for sure. For some reason the OP has avoided showing us that screenshot from Roxio Disc Information which would have dispelled all doubt.

We still can't tell for sure. For some reason the OP has avoided showing us that screenshot from Roxio Disc Information which would have dispelled all doubt.

I don't know why some think we have crystal ball :lol:

Thanks, I followed your instructions and put the disk back in the DVD recorder and finialized it. Now I can view it on my computer and make copies.