Mydvd8

wyman799@comcast.net

Question

I just got a Sony HDR-HC1 camcorder. I have MC8 and uninstalled it to put in ULead Video Studio9 because of the HD features. (I personally prefer the MC8). I can't get ULead to capture my video. I want to purchase the MDVD8 with the HD support. Before I do I want to make sure its compatible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dell Dimension 4700

80G 512Ram

radeon x300 video card

Adapted 4300 I.Link card

12 answers to this question

Finally figured out the problem. I purchased the updated MyDVD8 to the Premier with the HDV support.

While installing it ask me if I wanted to uninstall the Dell Media Studio on my computer, which I did.

BINGO = Both editing software are working great. Now I have to decide which one I want to use. Ulead was the other program I was trying to capture with. I am going to notify SONY and ULEAD regarding this issue. Neither one of them could figure out what was wrong. Thank you again for all your help. I'm sure I'll be posting again once I try editing as I am new to this whole new world.

Are you using firewire? Sony usually doesn't supply a firewire cable. Only the USB cable. The USB cable is for hooking the camcorder to the computer as a webcam or to transfer still images. You have to go purchase the firewire cable to transfer full DV quality. Walmart sells decent Belkin cable at a reasonable price.

Oh yeah, wanted to mention that your hard really isn't very large. Regular DV AVI video takes about 13gig per hour. I imagine that the hidef files will be twice that or more. Purchasing a second internal hard drive will save you alot of headaches.

Are you using firewire? Sony usually doesn't supply a firewire cable. Only the USB cable. The USB cable is for hooking the camcorder to the computer as a webcam or to transfer still images. You have to go purchase the firewire cable to transfer full DV quality. Walmart sells decent Belkin cable at a reasonable price.

Oh yeah, wanted to mention that your hard really isn't very large. Regular DV AVI video takes about 13gig per hour. I imagine that the hidef files will be twice that or more. Purchasing a second internal hard drive will save you alot of headaches.

Yes I installed a I.Link Adaptec AFW-4300 Fire Wire Adapter. Do you think this is the problem?

Also I have about 50G of harddrive left. Do you think thats alright.

By the way, thanks for your input.

I still can't get Ulead to work, been emailing for help. So far still can't get it to work.

Do you think I should try the new MY DVD8

So you have the Sony camcorder connected via firewire cable to the Adaptec card? That should work. May sound silly, but make sure the camcorder is set to VCR or PLAYBACK. When WINDOWS recgonizes the camcorder, you will hear a blip and a small icon in the systray that looks like a camcorder. No application will recognize the camcorder until that point. To make sure it shows up in windows:

With nothing else running, plug in the camcorder and turn it to VCR.

Right click on MY COMPUTER and select MANAGE

in the left pane, click on Device Manager

The device list will be on the right.

Click once on the + beside Imaging Devices

If the camcorder is recognized will be listed there.

When the camcorder shows in this list, then the application should be able to use it.

So you have the Sony camcorder connected via firewire cable to the Adaptec card? That should work. May sound silly, but make sure the camcorder is set to VCR or PLAYBACK. When WINDOWS recgonizes the camcorder, you will hear a blip and a small icon in the systray that looks like a camcorder. No application will recognize the camcorder until that point. To make sure it shows up in windows:

With nothing else running, plug in the camcorder and turn it to VCR.

Right click on MY COMPUTER and select MANAGE

in the left pane, click on Device Manager

The device list will be on the right.

Click once on the + beside Imaging Devices

If the camcorder is recognized will be listed there.

When the camcorder shows in this list, then the application should be able to use it.

Everything you mention checks out. Do you think its the program or my computer. I am at a lost. Can't figure out what to do next. I like to edit and put on dvd's.

Stumped... both programs should be able to use the camcorder. Grabbing at straws here, but check with Adaptec to see if there is an update to the card drivers.

Are you running WinXP with service pack 2? Microsoft has an update to the firewire drivers.

Update for Windows XP (KB885222)

After you install Windows XP Service Pack 2, some 1394 devices (such as digital cameras that use S400 speed) may not perform as expected.

Get it here

Stumped... both programs should be able to use the camcorder. Grabbing at straws here, but check with Adaptec to see if there is an update to the card drivers.

Are you running WinXP with service pack 2? Microsoft has an update to the firewire drivers.

Update for Windows XP (KB885222)

After you install Windows XP Service Pack 2, some 1394 devices (such as digital cameras that use S400 speed) may not perform as expected.

Get it here

Installed the update. Same problem. Tomorrow I'll install the MC8. See if I have better luck with that. Thanks for all your help. I'm sure I'll be back

Archived