Sign in to follow this  
minkhollow

Can't make Picture CD

Question

I have tried every way I know to uninstall Roxio EMC9. I have scoured and deleted tons of files that I think Roxio has inbedded and one thing remains that is causing me to pull my virtual hair out.

My son and I enjoy creating picture CD's either of family photos or art work we create. Since we tried Roxio (then uninstalled it) we can't make picture CDs at all.

They will load on to the disc and we can open them. The problem is we can't look at them on our DVD player,other computers or those Kodak picture makers in large variety stores. we either get a window saying the CD is empty or the player can't read it. We never had this problem up until 3 months ago when we tried EMC9

What is very confusing is when we attempt to look at the CD a second time (on our computer) the icon next to the CD says "ROXIO". Prior to that it said "blank disc".

What am I doing or not doing ????

7 answers to this question

If you used the Control Panel – Add/Remove Programs to uninstall Roxio, it is gone.

It sounds like (but no details) you are using the built in XP Burning to write the discs???

If so you should get the pop-up about having files ready to write?

Really need more detailed info as to what is going on.

I definitly used add/remove programs.

Yes I use the XP burner but since Roxio was installed NO POP UP to write files ever happens.

Instead I get a window that says "copying files" and then.... PHFFFT nothing.

Still the CD icon will get a Roxio label next to it. I don't know how I could be more specific.

Somehow I need to get XP to be the default again for creating picture CDs. Am I on the right track ??

It sounds as though Drag to Disc is still present and intercepting calls to the burner…

Do this, Ctrl-Alt-Del, Processes tab. Look for "DrgToDsc.exe".

Is it present?

IF so, Check Add/Remove Programs for its' presence there and if so, Remove it.

Very frustrating

Nothing in the Processes tab called DrgToDsc.exe I even tried a file search and just a peeled zero.

Should I call Roxio tech support?? I hear they're notorious for never answering the phone.

I very much appreciate your help. Do you have any other thoughts ???

Very frustrating

Nothing in the Processes tab called DrgToDsc.exe I even tried a file search and just a peeled zero.

Should I call Roxio tech support?? I hear they're notorious for never answering the phone.

I very much appreciate your help. Do you have any other thoughts ???

Sure I have lots of ideas, some of which might even help…

I wanted to confirm D2D was gone, and I would say it is.

Confirm that you only using XP Burning to make a CD and not some other burning program?

If Yes, use Explorer and right click the Burner and select Properties. Under the Recording tab, make sure that "Enable CD recording on this drive", is checked.

(Note: if you don't see a Recording tab, XP doesn't think you have a Burner!)

I also suspect that the disc you have been trying to use, has been started by a Roxio program and is no longer usable…

Set that disc aside for now and make sure you have a fresh disc that has never been used. Now try the XP Burning.

Edited by james_hardin

Actually I've been through a dozen "fresh discs". As soon as I put them in the disc tray a window comes up which say "Blank Roxio disc".

Yes the "Enable CD recording on this drive" was checked.

Actually I've been through a dozen "fresh discs". As soon as I put them in the disc tray a window comes up which say "Blank Roxio disc".

Yes the "Enable CD recording on this drive" was checked.

I cannot understand this and have not been able to replicate it.

I suggest you go through Support (upper right) and open a web ticket on this matter with them!

Please pop back and let us know what is found.