Victor1DL

Chapter 1 won't play

Question

I'm making a compilation of short video clips. Each clip is 2 - 4 minutes in length. I've pieced them all together with transitions in VideoWave and then ported the production to MyDVD. In MyDVD, I marked chapters (start of each clip), set up menus, and added an intro. In total, there are 59 clips each of which is it's own chapter. When I preview the project in MyDVD, everything works perfectly. When I burn the DVD, I can watch the Encoding Preview and see that everything is working fine. However, when I play the DVD on my PC or on my TV or playing from the .iso file, it plays the intro and brings up the main menu, but when I hit "Play" on the main menu, it starts on Chapter 2. I can go back to the main menu and navigate through the chapter menus to select Chapter 1, and it plays Chapter 2. I go back to the chapter menus and select Chapter 2 and it plays Chapter 2. All of the chapter buttons (2 - 59) play the correct chapter. Only Chapter 1 will not play.

I checked the link for the play button and the Chapter 1 button and they are both linked to the "Production" starting at "Chapter 1". No matter what I do, I can't play Chapter 1.

I have found a work-around. I have created a .jpg of just a black panel. I inserted that into the beginning of my VideoWave production and stretched it out to last 10 sec. Then I went back into MyDVD and marked a new chapter where my original first video clip starts, 10 sec. later in the production rather than right at the beginning. Now, the 10 sec. of black screen is Chapter 1 and my first video clip is Chapter 2. When I play the DVD, the 10 sec. of black screen (Chapter 1) is skipped and Chapter 2 (my old Chapter 1) is played. This seems to work, but I don't think I should have to do this.

It doesn't seem to be a problem with the video clips themselves because they will all encode and play. MyDVD just doesn't seem to want to start with Chapter 1.

I had made another one before in this same way and it worked fine without haveing to use the work-around. I had about 60 clips pasted together, each of which was a chapter, and it always played from Chapter 1.

Any ideas why it isn't working now?

3 answers to this question

I'm making a compilation of short video clips. Each clip is 2 - 4 minutes in length. I've pieced them all together with transitions in VideoWave and then ported the production to MyDVD. In MyDVD, I marked chapters (start of each clip), set up menus, and added an intro. In total, there are 59 clips each of which is it's own chapter. When I preview the project in MyDVD, everything works perfectly. When I burn the DVD, I can watch the Encoding Preview and see that everything is working fine. However, when I play the DVD on my PC or on my TV or playing from the .iso file, it plays the intro and brings up the main menu, but when I hit "Play" on the main menu, it starts on Chapter 2. I can go back to the main menu and navigate through the chapter menus to select Chapter 1, and it plays Chapter 2. I go back to the chapter menus and select Chapter 2 and it plays Chapter 2. All of the chapter buttons (2 - 59) play the correct chapter. Only Chapter 1 will not play.

I checked the link for the play button and the Chapter 1 button and they are both linked to the "Production" starting at "Chapter 1". No matter what I do, I can't play Chapter 1.

I have found a work-around. I have created a .jpg of just a black panel. I inserted that into the beginning of my VideoWave production and stretched it out to last 10 sec. Then I went back into MyDVD and marked a new chapter where my original first video clip starts, 10 sec. later in the production rather than right at the beginning. Now, the 10 sec. of black screen is Chapter 1 and my first video clip is Chapter 2. When I play the DVD, the 10 sec. of black screen (Chapter 1) is skipped and Chapter 2 (my old Chapter 1) is played. This seems to work, but I don't think I should have to do this.

It doesn't seem to be a problem with the video clips themselves because they will all encode and play. MyDVD just doesn't seem to want to start with Chapter 1.

I had made another one before in this same way and it worked fine without haveing to use the work-around. I had about 60 clips pasted together, each of which was a chapter, and it always played from Chapter 1.

Any ideas why it isn't working now?

It is a known bug in the software and has been reported many times for both EMC 9 and EMC 10. Time will tell us if a fix is forthcoming.

You've come across a bug in MyDVD that's been reported (a long time ago actually) and still exists in v10. You can read the original post here.

I'm guessing that the first time you made a project and it didn't happen, that you did not have an intor on that project? I'm guessing that having the intro this time is what's causing the movie to start on chapter 2.

The only "work around" is basically what you already did. Altho you could have just inserted a 10 sec color panel at the beginning of your VW project rather than make a jpg file.

OK. Thanks. I actually had seen that post mentioned by Larry but I kinda didn't realize it was the same issue. I guess because I'm only using one movie so I haven't seen the behavior of 2nd, 3rd, 4th movies starting on incrementing chapters.

I guess I'll continue to use the "work-around" only now I'll use the color panel as you suggested. Never thought of that.

Thanks again.