• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

rodcon660

Not Able To Make Copy Of Project I Burned And Finalized

Question

I made a movie a while back and I finalized it onto a dvd. I tried to go back and make a copy using disc copier and dvd builder. I keep getting different errors. One of them said insert source disc. Thanks for any help I can get on this. Also I am looking to buy a digital camcorder around the $500.00 price range and wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good camera.

8 answers to this question

Guest mlpasley
I made a movie a while back and I finalized it onto a dvd. I tried to go back and make a copy using disc copier and dvd builder. I keep getting different errors. One of them said insert source disc. Thanks for any help I can get on this. Also I am looking to buy a digital camcorder around the $500.00 price range and wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good camera.

Can you give us some idea of the errors that you're getting?

For the digital camcorder, you cannot beat the internet for research. Look for a high effective pixel rate. The quality of the picture that you can capture doesn't seem to have anything to do with the price of the camcorder. I personally think that digital tapes are the way to go because from what I've seen you get a higher resolution than the DVDs, but that's a personal preference.

I feel like a goof the problem was those darn stick on labels. I tore the label off and made a perfect copy. I guess the label was interfering with the mechanics of the dvd rom. Thanks and I also welcome anymore recommendations for a digital camcorder.

I feel like a goof the problem was those darn stick on labels. I tore the label off and made a perfect copy. I guess the label was interfering with the mechanics of the dvd rom. Thanks and I also welcome anymore recommendations for a digital camcorder.

You might seriously consdier if you REALLY want lables, altho they are not as potentially devastating with DVD media as CD media - where they can remove the recording layer if removed. There seem to be two camps - those who believe in labels and those who don't.

Lynn

You might seriously consdier if you REALLY want lables, altho they are not as potentially devastating with DVD media as CD media - where they can remove the recording layer if removed. There seem to be two camps - those who believe in labels and those who don't.

Lynn

Lynn, this may be a stupid question but ... How can removing the labels also remove the recording layer? After all the are on oppositie sides of the CD. Personally I never use labels since I fell they can upset the balance of the spinning CD unless applied perfectly.

Edited by myguggi

Lynn, this may be a stupid question but ... How can removing the labels also remove the recording layer? After all the are on oppositie sides of the CD. Personally I never use labels since I fell they can upset the balance of the spinning CD unless applied perfectly.

Hi Walt,

On a CD-R or RW the recording layer is put onto a strong plastic disc, a very thin reflective layer is put on top of the recording layer, and a layer of paint and/or laquer is put over the top of that to keep the air out.

It's the paint/laquer and the reflective layer which get ruined so effectively and easily when you rip a label off.

Once you've damaged the reflective layer, the CD don't play no more. The recording layer (dye or alloy) is usually undisturbed, but by this time the question is a bit academic.

With a DVD the recording layer or laters are sandwiched between two plastic discs, so the data is protected a lot better from mechanical damage. Their main problem isn't surface damage, but stressing the sandwich and causing the two discs to separate (de-lamination).

Brendon gave you the short, clarified Version.

Here is a link to the Byers Guide (by Fred Byers) for the long, detailed Version:

http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub121/contents.html

Lynn

Thank you Brendon and Lynn. Now I understand better the physical makeup of CDs and DVDs.

You're welcome, Walt.

I once recieved a CD-R labeled with a Post-It note, and all the stuff on top came up with the note. (It was recognized as "Please insert an audio compact disc".) That's why I thought the recording layer was itentical to the reflective layer.

Lynn