• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Narnia64

AVI or MPEG2?

Question

I am trying to copy all my old home videos (from Hi8 tape) - about 20 of them - to my computer for safe keeping. Which format should I use? I've heard AVI is better quality but then I know I'm going to be copying most of these to DVDs and don't they use MPEG2? Also, AVI files are SOOOO much bigger and therefore harder to deal with....please advise.... I could go either way and would like some advice before getting started. Thanks!! :)

5 answers to this question

AVI is a container format, not an encoding format. It can be used with different encoders, such as divx, Xvid, H264 AVC, etc. The file size will depend on the encoder used and (where the encoder has the options) on the degree of compression selected. This will also affect quality.

AVI is a container format, not an encoding format. It can be used with different encoders, such as divx, Xvid, H264 AVC, etc. The file size will depend on the encoder used and (where the encoder has the options) on the degree of compression selected. This will also affect quality.

Sorry but this is not my area of expertise, so I don't quite follow that. All I know is when I go to import the video, I have two 'capture settings' options:

- AVI DV format

- MPEG-2 format

I am using the video camera attached via firewire to my computer. I don't know which one to choose...

Sorry but this is not my area of expertise, so I don't quite follow that. All I know is when I go to import the video, I have two 'capture settings' options:

- AVI DV format

- MPEG-2 format

I am using the video camera attached via firewire to my computer. I don't know which one to choose...

Most definitely import them as AVI DV. The file size will be large, but the quality will be the best you are going to get.

Also, if you plan on editing those downloads, AVI is much faster than trying to edit an MPEG-2 file.

Most definitely import them as AVI DV. The file size will be large, but the quality will be the best you are going to get.

Also, if you plan on editing those downloads, AVI is much faster than trying to edit an MPEG-2 file.

Bruce - Thanks for the info and thanks for your service to our country!! Vicki