Narnia64

old 8mm videocassette- capture keeps stopping

Question

I'm having problems trying to capture a 16-year-old tape. I realize this tape is nearing the end of it's lifecycle (which is why I'm trying to get the contents copied in the first place). :) I'm using my camcorder, 8mm videocassette and a firewire connection. When I begin the capture process, it stops prematurely. I can just start it back up but every time I do that, the software creates a new file to store it in. So, instead of one file for this particular footage, I end up with about 10. I don't have this problem with my newer tapes. So, I'm wondering if there is some trick to get around this, either by capturing some other way. Or, by somehow joining these AVI files back together into one file (and still have it an AVI file). Any ideas?

2 answers to this question

Or, by somehow joining these AVI files back together into one file (and still have it an AVI file). Any ideas?
Yes, you can add the files to a Videowave project one after the other to reassemble the entire video. Sounds like the camcorder may be having trouble with the older tape.

I'm having problems trying to capture a 16-year-old tape. I realize this tape is nearing the end of it's lifecycle (which is why I'm trying to get the contents copied in the first place). :) I'm using my camcorder, 8mm videocassette and a firewire connection. When I begin the capture process, it stops prematurely. I can just start it back up but every time I do that, the software creates a new file to store it in. So, instead of one file for this particular footage, I end up with about 10. I don't have this problem with my newer tapes. So, I'm wondering if there is some trick to get around this, either by capturing some other way. Or, by somehow joining these AVI files back together into one file (and still have it an AVI file). Any ideas?

Instead of trying to capture again, you could use Videowave to combine all the avi files into one master avi file by adding each avi file to each panel in storyline. By adding the files one at a time you can be sure you get the right sequence. After putting all the clips into the production editor, you save your production using File/Save as (creates a dmsm file) and then output your production using File/Output As and then selecting DV output as your format type. This will create a new avi file with the individual avi combined. Your original avi clips will not be modified.

Actually I prefer small video clips especially since it is easier to edit them then to work with one huge avi file

Edited by myguggi