Narnia64

How to create DVD with chapters from large AVI file with scenes?

Question

Hi all - I have a home video spanning about a year that I have captured into one large AVI file. I have used Media Manager to locate the different scenes. I would like to somehow take this and create a DVD with chapters(?) that I can view from a menu. Then, select which scene/chapter to view from the DVD menu.

I'm new to this, but I thought I would use Videowave to create the production and then MyDVD to create the DVD. I opened Videowave but it didn't seem to notice the scenes and just had the one large file to deal with. I was hoping it would recognize the scenes and somehow make them into chapters for my DVD. Is there a way to do this?

10 answers to this question

Open MyDVD 10 and add the video file. Design the DVD menu or use one of the DVD styles and burn.

For best quality, keep the video one hour or less on a single 4.7GB disc and less than 2hr on a dual layer, 8.5GB disc. You can get more, but the quality is decreased accordingly.

Open MyDVD 10 and add the video file. Design the DVD menu or use one of the DVD styles and burn.

For best quality, keep the video one hour or less on a single 4.7GB disc and less than 2hr on a dual layer, 8.5GB disc. You can get more, but the quality is decreased accordingly.

Ok thanks but I think I'm still missing something....I opened MyDVD 10 and added the video file. It still came in as one big file with no chapters. Is there a way to get it to recognize the scenes I've already created in Media Manager? If I open the file using Media Manager again, the scenes are still there just like I left them. All I could tell to do in MyDVD was to play through the whole file again and set the chapters. I tried doing the 'Edit Chapters / Automatically create chapters' (sensitivity set to lowest setting = 1) and it got way too much. Is there something else?

If you use automatic scene detection, you can easily delete the ones you don't want.

An alternative is to create separate files of each scene, so effectively treating them as separate movies. In Media manager, after it has detected the scenes you want, right click on a scene, click edit. It will open in Videowave, from where you can do any editing and/or output it to whatever format you want. Once you have saved each scene separately, add them all in My DVD as separate movies.

Thanks for the help! One more thing....In Media Manager, if I add a scene and then decide I want to remove that marker (not the footage), is there a way to reset that? So, what I mean is, I have scene 1, then scene 2, then scene 3. I realize I just want the footage from scene 2 to be included on the end of scene 1. I know I can delete the whole scene, but I just want to remove the marker. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help! One more thing....In Media Manager, if I add a scene and then decide I want to remove that marker (not the footage), is there a way to reset that? So, what I mean is, I have scene 1, then scene 2, then scene 3. I realize I just want the footage from scene 2 to be included on the end of scene 1. I know I can delete the whole scene, but I just want to remove the marker. Any ideas?

Nevermind....I see now that I just delete it from Media Manager....I think I've been working on this tooooo long!! Time to head on over to the high school football game for a break! Happy Friday everyone! :P

Not sure I quite understand where to do this. I cannot right click.. it doesn't give me a menu when I do so.

Do you mean to right click in the Scene Detection window, after you have manually chosen scenes? When it try that, no menu appears.

If I select them all, which I can do, and then close that window, Media Manager flips me to the My Media tab. I was able to select the scenes there and put them into a new album of my choosing. However, when I right click there, still no menu appears. I cannot edit the scenes or do anything with them.

I want to put them into MyDVD so I can create menus and such... but I'm stuck.

Thanks

Ok thanks but I think I'm still missing something....I opened MyDVD 10 and added the video file. It still came in as one big file with no chapters. Is there a way to get it to recognize the scenes I've already created in Media Manager? If I open the file using Media Manager again, the scenes are still there just like I left them. All I could tell to do in MyDVD was to play through the whole file again and set the chapters. I tried doing the 'Edit Chapters / Automatically create chapters' (sensitivity set to lowest setting = 1) and it got way too much. Is there something else?

Not sure I quite understand where to do this. I cannot right click.. it doesn't give me a menu when I do so.

Do you mean to right click in the Scene Detection window, after you have manually chosen scenes? When it try that, no menu appears.

If I select them all, which I can do, and then close that window, Media Manager flips me to the My Media tab. I was able to select the scenes there and put them into a new album of my choosing. However, when I right click there, still no menu appears. I cannot edit the scenes or do anything with them.

I want to put them into MyDVD so I can create menus and such... but I'm stuck.

Thanks

EMC 8 have the ability to create chapter automatically if I remember it rightly using My DVD. But EMC9&10 that functionality was gone so with the auto save function. What I do is to create chapters by manually finding the scene via the slider and click on split scene. Do it again at the end of the scene in this way you can have the ability to delete the scene if you don't want it in or to drag it in any part of the movie.

EMC 8 have the ability to create chapter automatically if I remember it rightly using My DVD. But EMC9&10 that functionality was gone so with the auto save function. What I do is to create chapters by manually finding the scene via the slider and click on split scene. Do it again at the end of the scene in this way you can have the ability to delete the scene if you don't want it in or to drag it in any part of the movie.

Where did you get the idea that EMC 10 (and EMC 9) do not have the ability to create chapters automatically? See below the screenshot of the Edit Chapters window from EMC 10

post-103-1193779287.jpg

Where did you get the idea that EMC 10 (and EMC 9) do not have the ability to create chapters automatically? See below the screenshot of the Edit Chapters window from EMC 10

Sorry for the mis information then, must be my oversight as i am looking for this when I captured the film I shot during wy wifes Birthday last week. My first time to use EMC10 in video editing.

I honestly can't find it. I looked at the capture/import window options/settings I can't find it.

Yes, its in the My DVD edit window but the problem here is You have to play the entire captured movie again to automatically or manually put the chapters. What I remember is that it is done and set before the capture chapters was created during the CAPTURE stage.

Or i am just got confused with other capture softwares i used before.

my apologies sir.