Arnold

Best brand for best chance to play on a set-top box

Question

I have been using Easy Media Creator 9 to burn my own videos on DVD discs. I have three dvd set-top players. My burned discs play fine on two of them but occasionally hiccup on one. I don't bother to find out why.

Now I have a project to do a friend's wedding video. And naturally I have to burn discs to distribute to my friends. I burned a slideshow disc (just photos) to the groom friend and he had problem to playback the disc. The slideshow skipped and stalled on him. I told him to try to use a different dvd player...

What's my best chance to burn a disc compatibility with most set-top players on the market. What brand is good, Verbatium? When will software be able to burn discs like retailed DVDs that can play on every DVD player.

Cheers.

Edited by Arnold

12 answers to this question

I have been using Easy Media Creator 9 to burn my own videos on DVD discs. I have three dvd set-top players. My burned discs play fine on two of them but occasionally hiccup on one. I don't bother to find out why.

Now I have a project to do a friend's wedding video. And naturally I have to burn discs to distribute to my friends. I burned a slideshow disc (just photos) to the groom friend and he had problem to playback the disc. The slideshow skipped and stalled on him. I told him to try to use a different dvd player...

What's my best chance to burn a disc compatibility with most set-top players on the market. What brand is good, Verbatium? When will software be able to burn discs like retailed DVDs that can play on every DVD player.

Cheers.

Have a look at this : http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

You could also go into the search (top right) and type in best brand.

Edited by ogdens

For myself, I use Verbatim DVD+R discs. I burn at at 4x speed. And I have a drive that lets me set the BookType so the disc is burned with a BookType of DVD-Rom. To my knowledge, none of the 100's I've given out have failed to play in any player.

For myself, I use Verbatim DVD+R discs. I burn at at 4x speed. And I have a drive that lets me set the BookType so the disc is burned with a BookType of DVD-Rom. To my knowledge, none of the 100's I've given out have failed to play in any player.

Isn't -R supposed to be more compatible than +R? I guess I'll pick Verbatium for sure look as it is praised everywhere. Are you using MyDVD to burn the disc? Noob question, what is BookType of DVD-Rom?

Isn't -R supposed to be more compatible than +R? I guess I'll pick Verbatium for sure look as it is praised everywhere. Are you using MyDVD to burn the disc? Noob question, what is BookType of DVD-Rom?

No, to your first question. BookType settings trick older set top DVD players into playing the DVD. Older set top players only accepted -R media.

That's a short explanation. :)

I see. I also did a google. So in brief I should use +R disc and set the Booktype to DVD-Rom for best compatibliity with the set-top players on the market, especially for the older ones.

Now my question is: Is Booktype setting part of EMC9 or it is done through some kind of dvd driver software. Thanks guys!

I see. I also did a google. So in brief I should use +R disc and set the Booktype to DVD-Rom for best compatibliity with the set-top players on the market, especially for the older ones.

Now my question is: Is Booktype setting part of EMC9 or it is done through some kind of dvd driver software. Thanks guys!

It's done using a drive utility. For example, I have a Lite-On drive. I was able to download a utility from their website that lets me set the BookType for + discs (note, this only works for + discs).

It's done using a drive utility. For example, I have a Lite-On drive. I was able to download a utility from their website that lets me set the BookType for + discs (note, this only works for + discs).

Thanks. I'll give it a try with my Benq drive! Hopefully this will vastly increase set-top player compatibility.

Thanks. I'll give it a try with my Benq drive! Hopefully this will vastly increase set-top player compatibility.

If your BenQ supports BookType, use the QSuite software that came with it to change the settings.

What BenQ model do you have?

QSuite a BenQ drive utility or DVDInfo Pro included in EMC 9 will Set book type on compatible DVD+RW or DVD+R drives. Click the +RW icon at the top of DVDInfo Pro.

From DVDInfo Pro Help, Set book type on compatible DVD+RW or DVD+R drives.

Note: The setting for the default mode for +R or +RW may not be preserved after the drive is reset or the computer restarts.

QSuite will keep the setting.

Ricoh/BenQ book-type bitsetting

QSI/Nu Tech book-type bitsetting

LG book-type bitsetting

BTC/Micro Advantage book-type bitsetting

Lite-On book-type bitsetting

NEC/NEC OEM Official book-type bitsetting

NEC book-type bitsetting (modified firmware)

Physically there is a difference between a DVD-R disc and a DVD+R disc that is made during the production process. During the production of a DVD-R disc the lead-in is pre-embossed (pre-written). During the production of DVD+R discs the space is untouched. Every DVD recorder and DVD player has a limit in its firmware to write or read to this space. However, there is no limit for writing the booktype field.

cd

Sorry guys I jumped the gun too soon. Actually my desktop PC drive is a Samsung Writemaster.

Actually it is nice to know there is a tool like DVDInfo Pro included in ECM9. I played with the tool and apparently the BookType BitSetting is only for Benq drives so I suppose by clicking DVD-ROM checkbox won't do much any good.

I google but couldn't find any booktype setting tool related to a Samsung Writemaster drive nor from Samsung site. I do have Samung ODD Firmeware Live Update running to ensure my drive is always running the latest firmware.

Now it brings me another question. Does brand of drive has any impact on compatiblity issue? Would a Benq drive burn a more compatible disc?

Edited by Arnold

Sorry guys I jumped the gun too soon. Actually my desktop PC drive is a Samsung Writemaster.

Actually it is nice to know there is a tool like DVDInfo Pro included in ECM9. I played with the tool and apparently the BookType BitSetting is only for Benq drives so I suppose by clicking DVD-ROM checkbox won't do much any good.

I google but couldn't find any booktype setting tool related to a Samsung Writemaster drive nor from Samsung site. I do have Samung ODD Firmeware Live Update running to ensure my drive is always running the latest firmware.

Now it brings me another question. Does brand of drive has any impact on compatiblity issue? Would a Benq drive burn a more compatible disc?

You can no longer get BenQ burners. They sold out to Lite-On, but the newer Samsung burners are starting to get good reviews, so yours may be good to go.

The Free ImgBurn ISO burn tool, Current version: 2.3.2.0

Released: 12th April 2007.

ImgBurn supports Book Type setting for Samsung drives that support such a feature. You need to identify your drive.

http://www.imgburn.com/

The Drives DVDInfo Pro will set, posted above!

Ricoh/BenQ book-type bitsetting

QSI/Nu Tech book-type bitsetting

LG book-type bitsetting

BTC/Micro Advantage book-type bitsetting

Lite-On book-type bitsetting

NEC/NEC OEM Official book-type bitsetting

NEC book-type bitsetting (modified firmware)

Actually my desktop PC drive is a Samsung Writemaster.

To identify your drive in XP. Right click my computer and click properties. The system properties window opens, click the Hardware tab and then click device manager. The Device Manager Window opens, from the top view, make sure a dot is next to view devices by type. Click the + next to DVD/CD-Rom Drives, post what it reads?

For the firmware version, right click the drive/s and click properties, click the details tab. It should show, example mine IDECDROMBENQ_DVD_DD_DW1640_______________BSRB_____. The # where my BSRB is, is what we need you to post with the drive model/name.

cd