Wayne Roxio User

Suggestions for version 11

Question

On install, I was not asked if I wanted the the Roxio PnP system to run. It was on and running by default.

Out of my Startup folder, I had to delete:

- RoxWatchTray10.exe

- DMXLauncher.exe

Even after turning the folder watching off, the system tray was still running.

I want Roxio to run when I click on it, not all the time.

13 answers to this question

On install, I was not asked if I wanted the the Roxio PnP system to run. It was on and running by default.

Out of my Startup folder, I had to delete:

- RoxWatchTray10.exe

- DMXLauncher.exe

Even after turning the folder watching off, the system tray was still running.

I want Roxio to run when I click on it, not all the time.

You can do that by going to Control Panel/Administrative Services/Services, and set all of the Roxio sevices to Manual.

While that is appreciated, that's not something the average user would do or probably even know about.

My goal is for improvements for the next version. I'm trying to track down what specifically occurs on a couple other errors I get.

I have noticed that everyone loves to quote in this forum. :P

Thanks for your service, I just got my 20 year letter....and a few weeks later, another deployment order.

Edited by Wayne Roxio User

While that is appreciated, that's not something the average user would do or probably even know about.

My goal is for improvements for the next version. I'm trying to track down what specifically occurs on a couple other errors I get.

I have noticed that everyone loves to quote in this forum. :P

Thanks for your service, I just got my 20 year letter....and a few weeks later, another deployment order.

Computers/programs are becoming more complicated each year. A typical owner is going to have to learn more about processes, maintenance, etc. than they had to learn years ago.

Thank you for your service too, and Godspeed to you.

Only the relevant part of the quote: Computers/programs are becoming more complicated each year. A typical owner is going to have to learn more about processes, maintenance, etc. than they had to learn years ago.

Palm initially won the market because they did what the other handheld computers weren't doing--instead of providing a complicated suite of programs, they had a few applications that were easy to use. For years, they were the dominate player.

Apple and Google likewise both made multi-billion dollar companies out of "do more, but make it easier for the end user." (Ironically, that includes Apple now taking market share from Palm by coming up with an easier to use handheld .) Toyota and Honda both made a lot of money by making cars that required less maintenance.

If you have inside knowledge, and you're saying that Roxio's business strategy is to require everyone to need a degree in Computer Science, or at the least have to do extensive research on how to use the program and expect to do lots more hands-on maintenance compared to Sonic/Roxio's competitors, I do not think that is a good business model.

More Ideas for Roxio 11

- Simple uninstaller, that removes everything (including Registry entries). The latest word in another post is that Roxio is still working on the uninstaller. It should be ready before the program ships.

Palm initially won the market because they did what the other handheld computers weren't doing--instead of providing a complicated suite of programs, they had a few applications that were easy to use. For years, they were the dominate player.

Apple and Google likewise both made multi-billion dollar companies out of "do more, but make it easier for the end user." (Ironically, that includes Apple now taking market share from Palm by coming up with an easier to use handheld .) Toyota and Honda both made a lot of money by making cars that required less maintenance.

If you have inside knowledge, and you're saying that Roxio's business strategy is to require everyone to need a degree in Computer Science, or at the least have to do extensive research on how to use the program and expect to do lots more hands-on maintenance compared to Sonic/Roxio's competitors, I do not think that is a good business model.

More Ideas for Roxio 11

- Simple uninstaller, that removes everything (including Registry entries). The latest word in another post is that Roxio is still working on the uninstaller. It should be ready before the program ships.

If the Installer asked all the questions you are implying that it should, users would not have a clue what it was even asking…

Guess you think a page or 2 of explanation would be OK too?

The vast majority of users want to be able to click Typical and Finish and not be bothered with a bunch of questions about things they can only guess at.

Your 'business models' are naively simple! There was a lot more going on at those times than you listed.

The uninstaller might be nice if it could recover from truly bad install.

You made my very point: If a page or two of explanations is needed just to install, it's not being done right. I don't see how one screen asking about services that run constantly in the background (Maybe a single checkbox) would take up two pages, but maybe if they use a really, really big font. :D

I also agree: Users want to click install and go.

I would also bet: Most users would prefer not to have programs they don't use installed without their knowledge, and constantly running in the background.

- Grandpabruce is arguing users need to be knowledgeable about all the insides. I disagreed. You appear to be agreeing with me in a contrary manner.

- I agree with you, people want Typical and finish. So let's define typical. What percentage of users are using the uPnP features? I'll bet not many--so why have it hijack your system without asking by applying constant monitoring for a feature not many use. I checked all my devices, and my friends devices, and I still can't find any with the uPnP logo, although the Wikipedia page says XBox has it (I have Nintendo). How many of those people with XBoxes hook them up to their home computer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Plug_and_Play

- Yes, the business models are simple....and they worked. Palm is actually a common case study in business for doing things right (back then). Google actually writes semi-regular articles about counting the number of words on their home page, and the huge chain of people involved (up to the two founders, who have veto power) before adding even one more word. They realized that 'simple' was a big part in the secret of their success. Easy? Look how 'easy' you dismissed companies that focused on 'easy.' Easy--wasn't it! I disagree--companies that make things easy are relevant. Apple jumped into the mp3 market very late in the game, but with an easy to use model. iPod is now the majority of the market, originally by designed-in ease of use (it wasn't just Mac die-hards buying it). You can keep dismissing examples, but that doesn't make them less true.

We seem to agree in principal, but differ in execution.

Compare the number of users who

- Use uPnP devices and want Roxio to manage it, to

- The number of users who drag and drop a folder

If you've ever tried drag-and-drop with Roxio Media Watch running, you've gotten the :DATA: warning box. If you can convince me that more people regularly use uPnP devices than copy folders, I'll concede.

I hear you Wayne. Without going into specifics, we generally agree with your suggestions and your assessment. Actually, we have been thinking along these lines for quite a while.

UPnP should not run without permission. The RoxWatch service is designed to scan your system for audio, video and photo/graphics files (according to your "watched folder settings"), keeping the "My Media" section of the Media Selector up to date, regardless of where you store your files. The UPnP service is not RoxWatch... it is a separate service that must be explicitly enabled. You can disable it in Media Manager. We are working to improve the way these services operate... our aim is to provide useful functionality that you have complete control over.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tom

I thought RoxWatch kept an eye on folders for use with uPnP devices. Sounds like I was close. I might have gotten off track in the conversation.

Thanks for listening. Can you explain what this is? Is it necessary in any way?

- DMXLauncher.exe

Googling it leads to explanations that it's a Dell Media eXperience process. Another site says that it is Dell, but also installs with Roxio. Clarification would be appreciated.

Re: the rest of the conversations. Options during install are not unheard of. Most programs offer them, MS Office is a great example with many sub- and sub-sub trees you can customize during install.

I thought RoxWatch kept an eye on folders for use with uPnP devices. Sounds like I was close. I might have gotten off track in the conversation.

Thanks for listening. Can you explain what this is? Is it necessary in any way?

- DMXLauncher.exe

Googling it leads to explanations that it's a Dell Media eXperience process. Another site says that it is Dell, but also installs with Roxio. Clarification would be appreciated.

Re: the rest of the conversations. Options during install are not unheard of. Most programs offer them, MS Office is a great example with many sub- and sub-sub trees you can customize during install.

Options to not install various EMC 10 components are available when you install EMC 10!

I didn't say "no options were available." Please read a few posts in the thread before responding, not just an "as an aside" note in the last post.

Can you show me where the install option is to "not install" the two items in the very first post at the top?

Or can you answer the actual question in the post you responded to?

Either of those would actually be helpful and appreciated.

I hear you Wayne. Without going into specifics, we generally agree with your suggestions and your assessment. Actually, we have been thinking along these lines for quite a while.

UPnP should not run without permission. The RoxWatch service is designed to scan your system for audio, video and photo/graphics files (according to your "watched folder settings"), keeping the "My Media" section of the Media Selector up to date, regardless of where you store your files. The UPnP service is not RoxWatch... it is a separate service that must be explicitly enabled. You can disable it in Media Manager. We are working to improve the way these services operate... our aim is to provide useful functionality that you have complete control over.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tom

Ref bolded part:

All well and good, except that it starts scanning on the first restart after install, with by default all folders selected on all available partitions, i.e. before one has a chance to select the folders. The new user would not necessairly think to immediately right click on the system tray icon and select stop watching folders.

This is a nuisance if one has, e.g. a backup partition with duplicates of all one's music.video and picture files, each item is then duplicated in the media data base. One then has to manually clear that out for it to be useable.

It would be better if it did not start scanning immediately after install, but advised the user to select the folders first, then set it to scan. A simple popup, perhaps.

Options for custom install are available. The problem that I had was I did not know what the individual options were.

Is there somewhere that I can find listed what the abbreviations apply to and what each of the individual parts do?