• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Roxio does not repond when clicking icon

Wayne Roxio User

Question

I'm a little disappointed. I found a problem, documented it, and noted another person that had the issue. It was buried in another thread and not responded to, but I'm not the only one.

In my case, however, my problem was 'fixed' on the board by deleting the post. Thanks, whoever. I'm assuming that if it was an accident, I would have got a PM apologizing.

Dead post: http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=29118

I'm going to explain again in the hopes it won't be deleted again.

I noticed in this post: http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=28789

That I wasn't the only one who had problems getting Roxio to respond when I clicked the icons.

.....(slightly edited by Wayne)

I installed EMC 10 from the CD. Had no problems with the install.

The following applets opened with no problems:

Backon Track, Cine Player, Cine Magic, Create Panaromas

Media Import, Multi Photo Enhancer, Photo Suite, Video Wave

The following would not open:

Creator Classic, Label Creator, Sound Editor, Music Disk Creator

Video Copy & Connect, Audio Converter, Audio Tag Editor

Auto Mix, DVD Music Assistant, Easy Audio Capture, LP & Tape Assistant.

Would appreciate any help, especially since Best Buy will not take it back and I don't need a $79.95 coaster.

He received no reply. I had the same issue, my Roxio EMC 10 worked fine for a week, then stopped responding. One exception: I didn't check every program. My main program, CD/DVD burner, and Creator Classic didn't work. I quit there, and saw the other post later.

It took a full uninstall of all Roxio programs, several registry and disk drive sweeps, and a reinstall to get the program working again. It's running....for now.

I know this program was beta tested due to prior posts, but it sure seems to have a lot of issues compared to Roxio EMC 9. (That had it's own minor bugs, but was stable).

Questions:

- Has anyone else had this issue?

- Anyone know what's causing it, or how to fix it, aside from going through a lot of work to clear the Roxio programs off the computer?

- Roxio doesn't have a history of issuing service packs to fix repeatable issues. (See Roxio EMC 9). Is there a chance, even a small one, that Roxio might change their stance on this? Trashed hard drives, programs that don't run, this is not the hallmark of customer satisfaction or repeat business.

Thanks, Wayne

ASUS home-built Win XP SP2 machine, 1.2 Gig ram, NVidia GeForce 6600 video card, I am running iTunes 7.4.3.1, since I saw that mentioned once.

• Answers 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[snip]

Some things to consider that I haven't seen in this thread, that might help Roxio:

• A few posts up, GrandpaBruce notes:

Well, I have Norton SystemWorks 2005, and I have WinDoctor ignore any ActiveX problems it finds. In EMC 9 Deluxe, if you had Norton remove those entries, it caused the "Trial Version" notice to come up.

I have 2006, I clean all (including ActiveX), and I do not get a Trial Version notice with Roxio EMC 9 digital download.

I did not say EMC 9. I said EMC 9 Deluxe, and there is a difference. It does not happen to me with the original retail version of EMC 9. It did with the Deluxe version.

Also, with EMC 10, you don't get the Trial Version has expired notice, if you clean the ActiveX registries. But, after you do that, when you click on the desktop icon, or any EMC program that you can get by going through Start/All Programs, nothing at all happens. The programs don't open.

May I add to the large volume of complaints relating to the impact of using Norton Windoctor on an installed version of Creator 10. Like all others before me I have run windoctor with minimal problems for some years. But with Creator 10 the effect of running Windoctor appears to be disastrous.

I have spent considerable time reinstalling Creator and have been very greatful for the Roxio removal tool which is posted on the board here to streamline that task and finally for the identification of the vulnerable key in the previous post.

My other suggestion to those similarly afflicted is either to follow the advice in to use PCTools Regmechanic 7.0 - which does not have the same effect.

I'm a little disappointed. I found a problem, documented it, and noted another person that had the issue. It was buried in another thread and not responded to, but I'm not the only one.

I've had the entire suite quit working (after working fine) too... twice. I was hoping to find some answers here as well.

I'm experiencing exactly the same problems described by Wayne and others

Upgraded from EMC9 (with which I had no similar problems) to EMC 10 - runs for 2 or 3 days then will not respond. Total removal (mostly manual) and reload brings exactly same situation.

Running Norton Systemworks - which apparently is cause of the problem, only discovered when I read this thread. I regularly run Registry cleaner as part opf general "housekeeping".

Frustration levels mounting, so am removing EMC 10 pro tem and will keep an eye open for any patch or other suggestions,

Life's too short methinks.

TonyBrown

If you read all of the threads, then you saw that you can still run Norton SystemWorks. I do, and I had WinDoctor ignore the key mentioned several times in this thread. Everything, outside of that key, can be cleaned up.

:angry: I too purchase EMC10, installed and it worked. Then when I came back later to use it there was no response when trying to start programs. I contacted tech support and did the recommended complete uninstall, registry deletions, etc. then reinstalled and it worked a couple times.

What a waste of money and time! I see no real helpful suggestions from Roxio on this problem and lots of posts from folks in the same boat. I guess they don't care too much once they have the sale.

Why is everyone so keen to blame Roxio for something that is being wrecked by Symantec?

It's not as if Symantec don't know what's happening. The fact that they actually post a 'cure' on their website shows that they do and the fact that their program still does it shows they don't care to actually do anything about it

If I was driving a car and someone tailgated me - is it my fault for letting him do it or his fault for being careless?

There are so many fruitless posts as in unconstructive way. To get to the bottom of who to blame ? , ( Roxio or any of the Registry cleaning programmes,) for that, we need to go to the drawing board to determin what came first, the egg or chicken ?,( and the debate will go on forever ), This can aslo be said for which came first, Roxio10 or Mcafee / Norton or any other Registry cleaning programme. (needless to say we wont get a definite answer here either). I used Mcafee and Norton with Roxio 9 without any problem. ( i am sure some will disagree here too ).

i urge all users to keep at Roxio, Norton, Mcafee or any other problem software developer to do somethin about this issue.

as user i dont have any affiliation with any of the software developer , i have paid market prices for the softwares and in return i want these progrmmes to perform as they are described for. <_<

I am having the same issue....I use McAfee Total Protection and when I do a clean it picks up a bunch of files. I have screenshots of what it is getting but for some reason it won't let me paste them in this message. I would be glad to get them to someone at Roxio so they can tell me what the trouble is and then I can get them to McAfee to get the problem stopped.

Thanks

I see all of the same problem, the one that I have now. I went through loading emc 10 and lost my ntldr fixed it after several times of going through the same thing the bottom line is this, I cannot get emc 10 to run. No matter what icon i click on (desktop or in the explorer) no luck. Has anyone got the answer to this? tks

Did you read all 5 pages of this thread? Did any of the posts pertain to your problem?
Yes, I read all five pages.

I'm running WinXP, SP2 with McAfee Security Center, not Norton like most people. When the application suite failed the first time, I attempted to re-install a few times with no luck. Following that, I un-installed everything and manually cleaned the registry of any sign of installs from version 7-10. The full re-install of 10 worked fine after that for a few days before it failed again. A re-install attempt last night also did not resolve the problem. When I click on the application shortcuts, there is a fast hour-glass icon, then nothing happens.

I have not run any defrag, anti-spyware, registry cleaners, or 'maintenance' applications so I do not think they are to blame. I am not too thrilled with the idea of repeating the whole uninstall/registry clean-up/re-install process but it looks like there is no alternative.

Peace,

Jonathan

I see all of the same problem, the one that I have now. I went through loading emc 10 and lost my ntldr fixed it after several times of going through the same thing the bottom line is this, I cannot get emc 10 to run. No matter what icon i click on (desktop or in the explorer) no luck. Has anyone got the answer to this? tks

What happens when you click on the icons? Did you try running one of the programs right after you installed and rebooted? Did you read all of the posts in this thread?

OK, I resolved my problem and I hope this information can help others. It appears that EMC 10 stopped responding to the icon click for whatever reason (I also used Norton Utilities). I got mine to work again by a COMPLETE uninstall and reinstall. A complete uninstall requires downloading and using the Microsoft installshield cleanup utility. Here is a copy of the Roxio instrutructions from their knowledgebase. Good luck!

-----

Roxio Knowledgebase Resolution

ID Number: 000042GN

You will have to remove the software and reinstall to resolve this issue. The following instructions will completely remove the product Note that this will also remove any Roxio and Sonic products from your computer.

Remove any Roxio and Sonic programs from Add or Remove Programs or use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility if you receive a certificate file error while trying to remove the Roxio program. (Directions below)

Follow the instructions below to use the Microsoft Cleanup Utility to remove software.

Go to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290301

Scroll down to and click on Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package now.

Click on Save and select to save the file on your Desktop.

On your Desktop, double-click on msicuu2.exe file and follow the on-screen instructions to install .

Click on Start --> All programs --> Windows Install Cleanup.

Select the software you wish to remove then click on Remove.

Disable your startup applications using MSCONFIG.

Go to Start --> Run

Type: "msconfig" and then click the OK button

Select the Startup tab by left clicking on it

Click the Disable All button

Click the Apply button, then click the OK button

Click the Restart button

NOTE: To reverse this just go back in and click enable all and restart (that can be done once installation is complete.

Delete the following folders from your hard drive:

C:\Program Files\Roxio

C:\Program Files\Sonic

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic Shared

C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Roxio

C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Sonic

Once completed empty the recycle bin.

Note: Some folders may be hidden and will have to be exposed. To do this:

From the Windows Explorer window, Select Tools--> Folder Options.

Select the View tab.

Under the Hidden Files and Folders, select the radio button Show Hidden Files and Folders

Click the Apply button. Application Data should now be visible.

RemoveRoxio and Sonic keys from the registry.

WARNING: THE NEXT STEP INVOLVES EDITING YOUR SYSTEM REGISTRY. WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU EXPORT YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY EDITING. EDITING YOUR REGISTRY INCORRECTLY CAN CAUSE IRREPARABLE SYSTEM DAMAGE.

To export a copy of your registry, please do the following.

Go to Start --> Run, type "regedit" and click OK.

Locate and left-click File in the upper left hand corner of the Registry editor.

Click Export (Export range: All should be selected).

Choose a location on your hard drive and give the file a name.

Click Save.Your registry should now be backed up in a .reg file to the location you specified.

Registry Edit instructions:

Select the Start menu --> Run --> Type: regedit. Click OK.

Double-click the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder this will expand or open the folder.

Locate the Software folder

Locate the Roxio folder

Right click on Roxio and click delete.

Repeat for Sonic folders.

Double-click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder this will expand or open the folder.

Locate the Software folder

Locate the Roxio folder

Right click on Roxio and click delete.

Repeat for Sonic folders.

Restart and Reinstall the software from the original CD or Downloaded file.

In my case, nothing happens when I click on an icon. I have tried clicking on the icons on the desktop and in the Startup folder tree with the same non-results. I have tried right clicking on them and selecting Open. I have tried clicking on the actual .EXEs in the Program File tree and again with no results.

Watching Task Manager, I also see no activity or process starting.

I have read all the posts and, I think, tried all the suggestions. The current status is I uninstalled and went back to EMC9, which is working.

Stan

What happens when you click on the icons? Did you try running one of the programs right after you installed and rebooted? Did you read all of the posts in this thread?

How to disable Roxio EMC 10 (i.e. the "does not respond when double-clicking" issue.)

1. Install Roxio EMC 10

2. Everything works great

3. Run Symantec's Norton WinDoctor (or most likely other registry cleaners as well)

4. Reboot (I didn't verify the program was dead before I rebooted)

5. Click Roxio EMC 10. Program is now dead.

I don't have the same options as above. Of the icons in my folder

Works: BackOnTrack Home

Dead: Everything else.

--CinePlayer (splash screen only), Creator Classic, Easy Media Creator 10 Suite, Label Creator, Music Disk Creator, MyDVD, PhotoSUite, Sound Editor, Video Copy & Convert, VideoWave

I know the Roxio Instinct is to say, "It's not our fault, blame the other guy." See, the thing is you're a big company. We can't pick up the phone, talk to Symantec, and get them to work with us to make their program and yours compatible. You can.

I've used lots of registry cleaners--many much deeper and thorough than Symantec's. None of them have any problem with any other program in my system. Your program takes a dump on one of the gentlest registry cleaners out there.

Then I have to uninstall your program step by step because you didn't include a comprehensive uninstaller.

Then I have to use a very comprehensive and exhaustive registry cleaner to get Roxio EMC 10 off my system and back to a point where it will work when I reinstall it. Cruel irony there.

In reality, I'm not going to take a chance on running this timely uninstall-reinstall cycle with this program again, unless I see a huge, honkin' EMC 10 patch. A review of this board shows it was definitely not ready to be released to the general public. Any program which destroys your NTDLR (happened to me once), is incompatible with common registry cleaners, is extremely difficult and time consuming to uninstall (even with the end-user programs written to help uninstall it, then having to do multiple registry sweeps and reboots), not to mention all the issues I haven't run into yet because I haven't had enough time yet to see the other features, all indicate this program was not ready.

I'm going back to Roxio EMC9, I'm going back to it's simpler problems like needing to put "___" before folder names because the DVD burner chops the first three letters off folder names. At least version 9 problems were minor, and easily worked around.

Unfortunately, as they weren't fixed, it was also a sign that Roxio doesn't release patches to fix their problems.

Please call me when EMC 11 is released, I'll watch the board and see what the "early adopters" say before I purchase (kudos to you, by the way, for allowing dissenting posts to stay up). I've swore by your program since version 4, now I have to be wary. I'd love to trade in a barely used Roxio EMC 10 disk and video capture dongle for a working version 11. My "customer service" advice if you want people to come back is offer one heck of a "no questions asked" return policy.

Yes, I read all five pages.

I'm running WinXP, SP2 with McAfee Security Center, not Norton like most people. When the application suite failed the first time, I attempted to re-install a few times with no luck. Following that, I un-installed everything and manually cleaned the registry of any sign of installs from version 7-10. The full re-install of 10 worked fine after that for a few days before it failed again. A re-install attempt last night also did not resolve the problem. When I click on the application shortcuts, there is a fast hour-glass icon, then nothing happens.

I have not run any defrag, anti-spyware, registry cleaners, or 'maintenance' applications so I do not think they are to blame. I am not too thrilled with the idea of repeating the whole uninstall/registry clean-up/re-install process but it looks like there is no alternative.

Peace,

Jonathan

McAfee, more than likely, is what caused your problem. I don't have it, but I know that it and Norton, caused the "Free Version Has Expired" in EMC 9 Deluxe. There is no message with EMC 10, but the result is the same. It kills the program.

• Norton Systemworks 2006 (using the one-button scan or WinDoctor)

• Iolo SystemMechanic 6

RegSeeker (1.3 up to 1.55)

CCleaner

None of these registry cleaners had any issue with Roxio EMC 9. I ran them often.

Since everything worked, I never searched for a web board looking for answers.

Your mileage may vary.

If you're saying registry editors--specifically Systemworks--were known to cause problems, please link to a detailed post (like this one) or a series of posts from another forum (or a Roxio technical report) to provide some factual basis.

After all, everyone knows that's how you make a point.

Well, almost everyone.

B)

I installed Roxio 10 after a nightmare with Roxio 6 (long aggravating story), figuring it would solve my problem. It did. So, a few weeks later I went back to use it. Nothing. You all know the problem. It won't start. I uninstalled, cleaned the registry, reinstalled, LOTS of time involved. Finally, it worked fine. A couple weeks later I tried to use it again, it won't start.

errrhghghh!

I come here for help and discovered my problem is a common one that has been going on for a long time...apparently with no Roxio suggestions?????? Did I miss something?

I'm NOT going to go through the cleaning reinstalling process again and its been more than 30 days since I bought it so I can't get my money back. If they can't fix it or don't refund my money (which would be a GOOD customer service thing to do when I call Monday), then...

I'll email all of my 21,400+ people on my Newsletter List and tell them the problem I've had and that in my lowly opinion, I do NOT recommend this program and that they might want to inform their friends about the difficulties that I've had. Word travels fast.

Oh, and I can also make an announcement on my discussion boards that have more than 20,000 registered users, way over 1.3 million posts, and 1.2 million page views monthly, and let them know about the problem.

And, no joke, I have a radio show... but I'll probably not mention it there.

Anyway, Roxio needs to step up to the plate fast.

Admit you have a problem.

State you're busting your rears to fix it.

Fix it.

Provide a free patch.

This way you retain your loyalty base.

I'll call them on Monday and see what they have to offer. If they don't fix it and I can't get my money back, then its Newsletter/Discussion board time.

I just want it to work or give me my money back so I can get something that does!

[snip]

I installed Roxio 10 after a nightmare with Roxio 6 (long aggravating story), figuring it would solve my problem. It did. So, a few weeks later I went back to use it. Nothing. You all know the problem. It won't start. I uninstalled, cleaned the registry, reinstalled, LOTS of time involved. Finally, it worked fine. A couple weeks later I tried to use it again, it won't start.

I don't know the problem. What invaded your computer to knock down EMC 10, which you said was working?

Have come to understand there is a HUGE issue with the application NOT opening.

Everything is MY fault - try getting one of these guys on the phone - IMPOSSIBLE

they will however take your credit card # and give you "premimum" support for $2/min - no promises to fix your issue however

was told to:

1 - uninstall - & delete registry(s) for Sonic & Roxio

2- I went a step further - I used ccleaner and reg Mechanic to sweep registry, ran clean disk & defrag - then rebooted

3- loaded the program from install cd

4- it worked ..... i shut the computer down overnight

5 - started up computer - Creator did not open

..........that's when the problems with tech support started

obviously MY spyware sweepers and registry scanners are the issue - SORRY not active

Norton One Step - did the damage - Nope didn't run it

Norton One Stepmust be running at night - nope - told you it was shut down

complete uninstall & reinstall - tried that - doesn't work either

create new user with admin privledges - SORRY that doesn't work either

now - after a complete morning shot - tech support is strangely silent.......

these guys have a problem - they know it - and they don't want to admit it

just updated from Record Now Premier 8 - what a mistake!

:angry: I too purchase EMC10, installed and it worked. Then when I came back later to use it there was no response when trying to start programs. I contacted tech support and did the recommended complete uninstall, registry deletions, etc. then reinstalled and it worked a couple times.

What a waste of money and time! I see no real helpful suggestions from Roxio on this problem and lots of posts from folks in the same boat. I guess they don't care too much once they have the sale.

Did you read the posts in this thread?

Well, maybe McAfee and Norton expose a problem, but I don't think it is fair to say they caused it. I have run Nero, Adobe Premier, Microsoft Movie Maker and many, many other applications and this is the ONLY one that has been killed by Norton. If EMC is so fragile that it cannot survive this condition, or at least provide some diagnostic information on what is wrong, then maybe it isn't the right program to be running.

If it weren't the only DVD burner endorsed by TiVo for burning transferred programs, I would give up in an instant.

McAfee, more than likely, is what caused your problem. I don't have it, but I know that it and Norton, caused the "Free Version Has Expired" in EMC 9 Deluxe. There is no message with EMC 10, but the result is the same. It kills the program.

I don't know the problem. What invaded your computer to knock down EMC 10, which you said was working?

I did nothing.

After Five years of deskside tech work, I know that programs can conflict. But I had it running after a new build of XP, SATA, etc. After all my programs were installed in the system was fine tuned, that's when I had the problem the first time. I deinstalled, cleaned it, reinstalled it and it worked. There's been nothing changed in the system since.... unless a Microsoft update did something.

I have XP PRO, 4 gig ram, 3.0 gz.

The only way I could get it to work the the second time was to deinstall and strip it out of the registry. A reinstall worked and then it failed again later.

I've read others here who have the same problem.

<Just the facts folks... removed argumentative comments - Tom at Roxio>

Archived