Best Way To Rip Dvd's And Get Chapters

uva25

Question

I have all my home videos in separate folders on my hard drive in MPEG format. I ripped them from VOB/IFO files which were on my DVD's burned by a Sony recorder. Ideally I'd like to find a way to play the entire movie (set of chapter files) without startring each file separately This is available on some media servers, not on others (xbox 360 for example). If I decide to keep the xbox 360, what is the best way to re-rip these dvds, keeping the chapter breaks in mind. The reason I think I really want to keep the chapters is the lack of good fast forward capabilities on most servers. I could find a system which handles VOB/IFO but I really like the xbox user interface. Any functions in Roxio that I am not using which could help me? I currently just use the capture function, higlight all the chapters and rip away. Thanks.

3 answers to this question

None that I am aware. As far as I know, there is no such thing as chapter marks in a MPEG file. Skipping ahead would be a function of the playback software.

Is there a quick way to combine the mpeg files rather than re-ripping?

Using Media Import should not be doing any encoding. It just recombines the several VOB files back into one MPEG. For some reason, I find V7 does a much quicker job for this. I keep V7 on my laptop for this purpose although I don't normally use it much.

Archived